Old 05-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Travel to Jackson Center - May 2012

In the next few weeks a fair number of you will be heading to the Mothership. Since I'm sure a few of you are like me and like to avoid Interstates - particularly I70 in IN - thought I would give you a heads up on a couple of detours you might run into.

Eastbound on US36 in IN there is a detour just before the OH line. You go north on IN227 to Union City and from there back down OH571 to 36. If you're going to JC from Union City you should take OH47 which will take you directly east to US127 or any of several other roads running N/S - no need to go back to 36. When I came thru Union City a few days ago I either missed the sign for 47 or there isn't one so you might have to stop and ask.

Second detour is on OH274 which is the main drag thru JC. It's east of New Bremen at OH29 and it sends you south to OH119 and then to I75 and back north to 274. So you can save a few miles/minutes/ounces of fuel by just taking 119 east when you come north on 127 or whatever rather than going all the way to 274.

Of course if you're using GPS - Goofy Positioning System - you'll likely be routed thru Columbus and Cleveland.

Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Thanks for the heads-up. We are planning a trip up there for late August.

sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
I just came back from a long weekend in Springfield, MO (not towing). My recommendation is that you check road construction often (I use Google Maps traffic a lot).

Lots of work is happening on Interstate 44 particularly west of St. Louis around Villa Ridge and Washington, MO exits. Also check Interstate 55 construction on the Illinois side particularly around Troy, IL through to Litchfield and Divernon exits. The work appears to be resurfacing with major ramp repairs and work. In some cases, ramps are closed entirely.

Heading east back to Bloomington, I took the Jefferson Barracks bridge across the river at St. Louis. Near Troy, I got off on Interstate 70 to US 51 at Vandalia, IL to avoid construction on Interstate 55 between Troy and Litchfield, IL. Crossing the Jefferson Barracks heading east, they did have at least one lane of the bridge closed. I figured that was better than dealing with construction on Interstate 64 through St. Louis.

The construction and different routes I took added about an hour to my normal drive time to/from Springfield, MO. The lady at the Tourist Info counter at Silver Lake Rest Area on Interstate 70 said someone had just told her they spent 2.5 hours waiting in construction zones on Interstate 55. Lots of it has to do with time of day and the fact that several lanes of traffic are channeled into one -- and some folks don't get over to the one lane till the last minute.

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Lot of construction on I-40 between Little Rock to Memphis. Will probably go US 67 from Little Rock up to Poplar Bluff, then take I-57 up to I-70 to Indy and over that way.
sams is offline   Reply With Quote