Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Travel and Service Update

Hey all, sorry no posts in the last week or so, we have been in the boonies in South West Texas... Big Bend national park: AWESOME!!!

On another note, I had asked forum members about geting our 345LE serviced in texas, between San Antonio and Austin. As per recomended, we went to the camper clinic in Buda Tx, WHAT A RIPP OFF. Stay away at all costs!! No joke:

First, when we got there, they told us that the service person we had talked to had just quit the day before, so all quotes/prices were no longer valid. -- to add insult to injury, they said they had no "trace" of our appointment.

Then, they charged us WAY over price for a simple oil/filter change. (i dont even want to mention the exact number, I am so ashamed we paid-- we were just worried about the oil, and the fact that our AS is 20 years old..)

To tap it off, by the time I had driven 20 or so miles, I relaized our speedometer was out...

Service was horrible, price was insane, do not go there.

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:
https://www.AirstreamLoft.com

Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychris
Hey all, sorry no posts in the last week or so, we have been in the boonies in South West Texas... Big Bend national park: AWESOME!!!

On another note, I had asked forum members about geting our 345LE serviced in texas, between San Antonio and Austin. As per recomended, we went to the camper clinic in Buda Tx, WHAT A RIPP OFF. Stay away at all costs!! No joke:

Then, they charged us WAY over price for a simple oil/filter change. (i dont even want to mention the exact number, I am so ashamed we paid-- we were just worried about the oil, and the fact that our AS is 20 years old..)

Service was horrible, price was insane, do not go there.

I'm really sorry that I missed your first post asking for places to service your rig. You're right on point about Camper Clinic being a rip off. You have some chance of proper treatment if you bought your rig from them. If not then it's Katy bar the door, we've got a live one. I've complained to the AS regional sales rep, and written Jackson Center a letter about their very poor treatment. Of course they ignored me because this place sells Airstreams, and that's all the mfg cares about.

I"m glad you were able to enjoy Big Bend. I'm heading out that way tomorrow. I hope you have an uneventful trip back home.

___Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Agreed

Yup - had bad experience with them multiple times - finally stopped going to them....

My worst experience was when I had dropped my 19' Bambi off for warranty work, they had it for a week. I finally received a call that it was done on a Friday, and told them I would be there Monday to pick it up.

Walked in there Monday, where the warranty manager Tammy ran away when she saw me walk in the door. I thought that was a bit strange, but 30 seconds later, Leslie, the service manager came out and stated that he was sorry, but there was a customer that had wanted to take delivery of a new trailer on Saturday, and they didn't have the Equalizer in stock for the guy to take the trailer home, so they took it off my trailer.....

That was the last time ever used Camper Clinic in Buda.....
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Sounds like it is well worth the trip to Weatherford!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:

First, when we got there, they told us that the service person we had talked to had just quit the day before, so all quotes/prices were no longer valid. -- to add insult to injury, they said they had no "trace" of our appointment.
Ok I would have left at that point. They would not have touched my unit.

Rodger Willimas AS in Weatherford is excellent.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 04-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Sounds like it is well worth the trip to Weatherford!

Susan
Unfortunately, Roger Williams currently has a backlog on service, so they are not taking new service appointments as this time. It will be 3-4 months at the earliest before new appointments are taken.

With that being said, David Tidmore has left Roger Williams to return to the high tech field (where he originated).

Their service is team of Denver and Damion remain, so the quality of the service work will remain. Denver Russell, the senior Airstream service tech has always done great work, and was shown doing disk brake conversion in an Airstream Life article a year or so ago.

If you want service done by Denver and team at Roger Williams, please be patient as they work thru the backlog they currently have.

I will say that they will still try to help out those who "full time" in their rig, so if it is a simple repair or maintenece item that only takes a few hours, they will do their best to fit you in. You'll need to call Roger Williams up at 800-378-5883 and ask to speak to Robert Haberzettle. He can best determine if they can help you, and the timeframe they can get you in.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
I canot believe they took it off your unit!! That is probably what they did with our spedo cable!!!.... They had another AS 325 moho they were actively working on... I wonder what else they might have done to our unit...i.e our gen is now also showing weird signs.... Maybe we should class action sue these guys... Unreal how they can so easily ruin one's day..trip..in our case full time home...We should make a Warning post about all those bad dealers...and it obviously doesn't pay to always listen to forums, as some members probably work for them.... Wish they at least refunded us..

Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Also, as for Big Bend..make sure you take a dip in the Hot Springs, UNREAL...

Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529

I"m glad you were able to enjoy Big Bend. I'm heading out that way tomorrow. I hope you have an uneventful trip back home.

___Tom
hey Tom, we are not heading home...we full time Here are some info on Big Bend and what we did that we just updated: In the Desert | Classic Airstream Roadtrip Adventures of Two City Travelers Have a great time there! Bird watching is pretty incredible too...

Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
hey Tom, we are not heading home...we full time Here are some info on Big Bend and what we did that we just updated: In the Desert | Classic Airstream Roadtrip Adventures of Two City Travelers Have a great time there! Bird watching is pretty incredible too...
I used to work on a ranch in Ft Davis while in college over in Alpine. I used to have an old (60's) VW, and would take it any where. It took care of me in some spots west of Mafa that I should never have driven it to. When I had a weekend off, we'd run down to Big Bend whenever we had the chance. We'd drive like the dickens on the paved roads on a moonlit night without the headlights. Not too smart, but a lot of fun.

We'd go out at night to one of the abandoned adobe huts, cactus on the roof,and with some cold nourishment we'd muster up some false courage and tell ghost stories. After some time passed I'd have to go off to be alone. While contemplating life's mysteries I'd notice the sillouette of a cactus and start remembering the stories. I solved the world's problems in a hurry, and made it back to the safety of the campfire.

Enjoy your travels. As you can see, they become very nice memories 30 years later.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I'm glad to learn about this AS dealer. It has been highly recommend by another AS owner. I have never been to this facility since it is about 60 miles from my home. AS seems to have a problem with their service.

The ExploriaUSA (AS Dealer) on IH-10 in Seguin does not have a very big service area. They are more into selling than servicing trailers. I was looking for another AS service department to take my trailer. I had heard that the Buda dealer had a seperate facility to service AS's.

I have had good luck with SW RV just across IH-10 from ExploriaUSA. They have a large service area and have always serviced my AS in a timely manner.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
. I thought that was a bit strange, but 30 seconds later, Leslie, the service manager came out and stated that he was sorry, but there was a customer that had wanted to take delivery of a new trailer on Saturday, and they didn't have the Equalizer in stock for the guy to take the trailer home, so they took it off my trailer.........
Don't know what they call it in Texas, but up here we call that theft!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
I agree...I also just realized that somehow they played with our Overdrive unit...(it no longer works as well.)!!@!! I can tell they did, because I just noticed that its casing is broken! ours was not prior to bringing it in.,,,,,and our spedometer worked fine too....now dead.... Any suggestions as to what we should do?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Theivin' sumb*tches....

gypsy -

If even 1/2 of what your experiencing is because of the Buda "Service", then I would call them about it. Be polite but VERY firm.... and ask them what they are gonna do to make you happy ie. refund at a minimum (since you are a ways away, right?). Likely they will blow you off.... since proving things can be tedious and expensive....

then, if things go as predicted (see above), mention that there could be a HIGHLY EFFECTIVE!!!! internet campaign started (gee, where did THAT come from???) to alert the WORLD to the fact that they are cheatin, lying, coniving, no good theivin' bast*rds.... that the RV world should stay away from.

All this assumes I have captured your feelings....? Sorry if I mis-spoke or put the wrong words into your 'mouth'.... Perhaps I projected my own 'feelings' there...!?

The internet is a wonderful tool. It can also be HELL!!!! All depends on your 'feelings' and your determination.

Not that I am recommending this course of action. Just kinda 'thinking out loud' here.... but given that you are NOT THE ONLY person to have VERY dubious experiences, they very likely deserving of having the "Go around, Come around" karma train run SMACK DAB through their establishment ....!!!!!

Payback can be a b*tch!

just sayin

Axel
SilverToy
Old 04-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Gypsychris - I heartily agree about Camper Clinic being horrible & don’t go there. We took our 345 there for what should been a simple service. I’ll let Michael elaborate, but suffice it to say, it was a nightmare we’ll never forget.

Are you still going to be around Austin, in a couple weeks? We’re in Bullhead City now, but are leaving for Tucson (to have work done at Oasis), then on to Austin (I have family, there).

Axel - Talking to them doesn’t seem to do any good. I don’t know what their problem is, but they don’t seem to think they’re wrong. You have the right idea about “spreading the word”, like we’re doing.

Tracy
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 04-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #17
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Our LAST experience with CCII in Buda was last September before the Fall Branson Rally. Took the 'Stream in to pack the wheels, do some minor maintenance, check caulking, all things I should of done. They charged me an incredible amount of $$ - way over priced.

We stopped in Waco on the way to Branson the next day and I went around to check the wheels, hitch set up (routine stuff on a long trip) and found that the wheel lug nuts we almost off - I could loosen/tighten them with my fingers! They apparently didn't tighten them after repacking the bearings. Had I not checked them, we would of lost one & maybe all of the wheels.

We stopped ovenight in northern Oklahoma. Open the 'Stream up and noticed the front skylight was gone! Immediately called CCII in Buda and spoke with Tammy. I lit into her and the shop. She claimed that the skylights are notorius for flying off the top (!) and was "sorry" this happened but couldn't help us... she couldn't be bothered to even help order a new skylight for us and absolutely wouldn't even consider that perhaps their tech, while on the roof "caulking", might have damaged it. There had been no other possible incident that could of damaged it.

Long story, short but when we got to Branson, we ordered a skylight through Airstream of Arkansas (GREAT bunch of folks!) and repaired it there at the rally.

CCII's attitude was "so what?". I was left wondering if they even did a fraction of what they charged me for. Absolutely will never go there again and advise anyone going there.

Which is too bad for Austin... Weatherford (Roger Williams), is not "just around the corner" for us in Austin, but it is the place to go.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Old 04-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Yes, well...
Made an appointment with CC2 to have generator maintenance, new toilet, tow brake system check, stove cover replaced, fridge check, AC check, and battery disconnect installed. 2 days turned into 5...
AFTER maintenance, THEY CHARGED US 6.5 HOURS LABOR FOR A GENERATOR OIL/FILTER/TUNE THAT WAS ADVERTISED IN THE FRONT OF THE SHOP AS $45... WHEN I ARGUED, IT WAS FRIDAY, TAMMY HAD HAD TO LEAVE EARLY, SO IF I WANTED MY RIG, PAY NOW AND STRAIGHTEN IT OUT MONDAY...(it 'turns out' that the 'clerical' error was 6.5 ONAN, not hours...)
so sorry...then a double charge on toilet replacement parts...
OK, END RESULTS...?
GOT BACK TO THE RV PARK, AND THE GEN WOULDN'T START...WENT TO LOOK, AND THE OIL FILTER HAD NOT BEEN TIGHTENED-I COULD SCREW IT ON WITH MY FINGERS...
THE NEW TOILET INSTALLATION WAS THE LAST THING THEY DID, AND WE HAD TO WAIT WHILE A GUY WENT TO HOME DEPOT FOR A REPLACEMENT SCREW...
NO STOVE COVER REPLACEMENT
THE AC CHECK DID REVEAL A THROWN BREAKER...
THE TOW BRAKES SEIZED UP IN WACO, ON IH 35(AT 60 MPH), AND THE END RESULT WAS WE LOST THE '92 NISSAN MAXIMA, BUT WERE LUCKY THAT WAS ALL, BUT WE SPENT A LOT MORE MONEY DEALING WITH THAT, AND HAD TO STAY THERE FOR ABOUT A WEEK, WAITING TO BE TOLD..."CAN'T FIX IT"...
FRIDAY AT CLOSING, I HAVE TO GO OUT TO THE SHOP TO FIND SOMEONE TO PROTEST TO, AND THEY'RE DRINKIN' BEER AND DON'T WANT ME TO INTERRUPT THEIR EARLY WEEKEND...HAD TO GO BACK MONDAY TO ARGUE AND STRAIGHTEN OUT THE OVERCHARGES...
NO APOLOGIES, AND ONE LAST ARGUMENT TO GET A QUART OF OIL TO REPLACE THE ONE BLOWN OUT BY THE UNSEALED OIL FILTER...GIVE GRUDGINGLY. I MIGHT ADD.
ON THE SERVICE SHEET, IT SAYS TO NOT TURN OFF THE FRIDGE, AND I VERBALLY ASKED IF I SHOULD REMOVE THE SPOILABLES("No, that won't be a problem, I'll write a note on the order")...THE NOTE WAS THERE, BUT 5 DAY OLD UNREFRIGERATED RAW CHICKEN IN A TEXAS SUMMER WAS IN THE FRIDGE...

YEP, THESE FOLKS WERE A SERVICE NIGHTMARE, AND I STILL WORRY ABOUT WHAT ELSE HAS BEEN DONE, NOT DONE, OR TAKEN THAT I HAVEN'T YET NOTICED.
SO, what does it take for a class-action...? Appealing to common decency is above these folks, and the pocketbook is the only impression I got that impresses them...
We'll be in Austin in a week or so...
just sayin'
mike
Old 04-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
ADDITIONAL INFO:
INITIAL SHOCK BILL WAS $1504.66
FIRST PROTEST KNOCKED IT DOWN TO $1267.16
FINAL PROTEST(WHEN I WAS AFRAID I WOULD GO POSTAL) BILL WAS $505.67.
BUT THAT DOESN'T COUNT THE MOTEL, TOWING,RESTAURANT, ETC, WHILE WE WAITED, AND AFTER THE TOW CAR LOSS...(the flaming tires from that set fire to the median and shoulder grass, and actually shut down southbound Interstate 35 traffic while they put out the fire)
MIKE
Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Chris...sorry to hear about your mis-adventure at camper clinic. I appreciate the heads up about them!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
Closed Thread