Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
travel questions..

We will be traveling north soon, wanted to know if anyone had any experience traveling on I-65 going thru Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky.
Also....I-69 thru Indiana. We have a chevy Tahoe 96 towing a 25' fb.
Thanks for any feedback.
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
We went that way a couple of years ago. Great route, but I'll relate the ony problem we had. We got off the freeway in Brimingham due to a jam, probably an accident, and got lost. Bad news, we wandered around for close to an hour, trying to get back to the right road. Late at night, nothing open, fortunately traffic was light. Lesson learned: Don't go wandering around with out a good map! Today, a good GPS might prevent all that.
Snedwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . . We went Atl to Chicago in June and had no particular problems. B'ham (went thru there last week on I-20) and Nashville are not much fun, so be sure to miss rush hours. That I-65 in Ala used to be rough as a cobb above B'ham and I don't know if it's fixed. Went straight thru Indy (not rush) and had no problems, except trying to be in the correct lane ! safe travels, Craig
RamblinManGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
A couple of years ago we did it and the worst was Indianapolis, maybe by now they have all the construction finished. Goes without saying stay away from city center anywhere near rush hour but hard to do on distance marathons. Normal travel with short distances we always calculate city eta and correct for it.
GPS will tell you left or right lane but we like the middle when available for safety.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
DesertHawk..

Thanks for your reply..was wondering when was that you remember it being rough?
Thanks
safari25-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Did that drive this spring - on the way to JC with my trailer. B'ham has a bypass - use it. Nashville during rush hour is real bad but there is a great Wal-Mart parking lot there for an over-night. Very camper friendly, clean, good deli, and lots of local chain food locations near by. I can look up the exact store number if you want. Indy and Cinci were also bad, lots of road construction and poorly planned out road sign to intersection connections. If you have a GPS you should be good. Just city/interstate traffic in general is not any fun - toss in construction and rush hour and then it only gets worse.

More specifics if you ask but I will have to look at my map for details. Over all the drive was not to bad. B'ham is a mess of bad drivers - the road north of there had been repaired.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi again from Ga. . . It's been a couple of years since I've been on 65 above B'ham, but it was that 'concrete expansion joint' rough. You know, clackity,clackity,clackity. I thought the rest of the way to Indy was pretty good this past June. and I ALWAYS go straight thru Indy. Their bypass is as rough and hectic as ours in Atl. You just need some help keeping up with the signs. Doesn't seem like as much summer construction as usual (recession ?) be safe out there, Craig..........p.s.,just bought a Safari 25LS, we're very excited.
RamblinManGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Rickwood Caverns State Park

We stayed at Rickwood Caverns State Park 30 minutes north of Birmingham off of 65. They only have a few sites with water and electric for only $18.50.They have an olympic sized pool, caverns to tour and a hiking trail past rock formations, cave entrances and seabed fossils.For such a small campground, it was a very unique area and we will return. We did experience the bumpity bumps on the outskirts of Birmingham going toward Atlanta and a blowout on a 99 degree day!
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote