Old 05-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
A while back someone posted on one of the threads the 2-2-2 rule. We have not followed it as we normally do about 350 miles per day. But, I've thought about it, so last year on our way back from the Badlands in SD we tried the 2-2-2 rule and actually having no time schedule we enjoyed it. 2 days in each site - stop by 2:00Pm OR 200 miles whichever comes first.
I'm sure whoever came up with the 2-2-2 rule never drove through Texas. If he had, he still wouldn't have reached the state line yet!

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Like others, we always seem to average 50 mph over a day. So the question becomes "how many hours can you drive".

Whether there are one or two drivers makes a huge difference. My advanced-age parents used to drive from southern Florida to northern Wisconsin every year and they said the key was to change drivers every hour. When I noted that you aren't even beginning to get tired at one hour, they said "That's the point."

This rule works well for us. Even so, while we will do 500 in a day, 400 is much more comfortable and 300 is better!

field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #17
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
3 O'clock or 300 mile is a good rule if you are going to be on the road for an extended time.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
We decide if we are interested in stops along our route. If we are,we plan accordingly and make reservations. If not, we drive longer instead of hanging out doing nothing. We drive the posted limit except in West Texas where we stay at 70.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #19
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I made a 33 hr nonstop drive once with the wife and I sharing duties. We were still in our twenties. We tried that nonsense again in our 30's with kids driving from Virginia Highland Airstream park to New York in 14 hours. NEVER AGAIN. Forget it. We were stupid. We thought, "hey we did that once in our twenties."

350 miles sounds right. For us with kids and stops, if Google maps says it takes 2 hours to get there, that means 4-5 for us. We shoot for nothing over 200 miles these days.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
250 miles, or about one tank of gas. Any more than that, and it stops being fun. The exception to the rule is, when crossing Nevada or when driving another couple of hours gets us to a final destination where we stay for several days.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I aim for 325 miles with a maximum of 350. On the higher side if mostly interstate or toll roads. Even at 83, I don't feel stressed at these distances.

Lately, I have been leaning toward short first and last travel days. That means I can wait out work traffic at both ends and still get there early in the day for the best parking at a big rally. From Austin to Tuscon, I plan a half-day to Junction, two full days on the road, and then a half day into Tuscon.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
If I may steer this thread to the edge of its topic and get the advice/recommendations of the experience from the group.

Let's say you are traveling this summer, and your itinerary requires 1 long day of driving. How often would you switch drivers, and when? And what would your realistic expected drive speed/time be for this day?

It will be interstate for the first ⅔ of the day.

First part of the day is the mindless I-80 --mid Nebraska to Cheyenne. It will be plains driving and no major metropolitan areas. 300 miles.

We plan on leaving at daylight, and hitting Cheyenne by early lunch.

Then lunch break in Cheyenne. Off the road for an hour.

Then the next leg of the day is Interstate for some more of the way, but some mountain passes, and then the last part of the day will be hi way driving, not intestate, but no mountains and not much traffic, to the place we will stay the night. Total 350 miles after lunch.

No kids, no pets.

For planning purposes, is an average speed of 55 realistic? And any other pieces of advice/insight?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Since I'm retired I *never* drive with the sole purpose of getting somewhere. I spent 45+ years in a 100mph work life and that was enough. Now I seem to average about 200 miles a day at 60mph, but I don't really care.

And I stop all the time, at the slightest provocation. I remember all too well the too may times I've missed things in the past because I "didn't have the time". No more.

The greatest benefit of retirement is time. It's so so good to slow down and live in the now, like a dog.

Wave when you pass.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
There are a lot of variables in answering this question.

In general, I prefer to drive around 200 miles in a single day, leaving around 9:30 AM-ish and arriving around 2:00 PM-ish. That works if we are staying in a general area.

If we are making a transcontinental or re-positioning move to meet some schedule, assuming decent driving weather and I have reliable end of day stopping points along the way (i.e., CG reservations, Elks Lodge or Walmart,) I will gladly drive 400 miles plus or minus. My only rule is that we must be fully set up before dark and I will not continue driving if I am tired. Our longest one day drive ever was about 540 miles and we arrived before dark in a campground where we had reservations. It was not a pleasant experience and we have stuck to under around 400 miles ever since.
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #25
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Let's say you are traveling this summer, and your itinerary requires 1 long day of driving. How often would you switch drivers, and when?
Given my preference, I would stop for at least 15 minutes every two hours, whether for pit stops, to change drivers, to eat something, to take photos, or just to walk around after sitting for that long. Of course the midday meal would be a longer stop, but every stop for any reason should be at least 15 minutes long and should involve standing up and moving to get the blood circulating again, and should happen approximately two hours after the previous stop.

Based on that, assuming two hours, a stop, two hours, a half-hour lunch, two hours, a stop, two hours, and stop for the night, it would take nine hours to get in eight hours of actual driving time. But that cumulative hour of stops would let you arrive far more refreshed than driving eight hours straight through.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
Well, this is very much driven by personal views. Last year we left Destin at 7am and pulled into our drive in Bandera, TX at midnight. Way too long and won't do it again. That said, even though limited to 65 mph due to tire rating, we routinely will do 10 hours, +/- 600 miles. What you are towing makes a difference as well; I suspect were I towing 27', I would stop sooner. It really isn't about stamina or endurance, but what you are comfortable with. Lots of opinions and views, but yours is the only one that will count. Safe travels!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Travel orTowing Time Standards

Depends on your hitch setup. I won't admit it to law enforcement, but last time I went across Texas I had no issue keeping up with traffic that was doing at least 75. I didn't realize I was going that fast until I glanced at the speedometer and decided to back off a bit. I have to watch it because the ProPride setup I have tows nice and stable at darn near any speed. It was out on the flat part of the interstate on a not too windy day. I still had semis going by, but no real 'push' noticed when they passed. I love my setup.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We try to keep driving days to 200-250 miles. I drive about 60, so we figure we average 50 mph. Not exact, but close enough to say at 1100 "where will we be in 50 miles?" because I'm getting hungry. We generally are on the road by 0900 and I want to be parked by about 1500.

We've pushed those numbers a few times, and it can be done. Not necessarily the best way to travel in a leisurely manner, but we can still cover the miles when necessary. I also like to limit back-to-back driving days to only two, but we've done four days in a stretch once. We had to pass too many interesting places doing that, though.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote