Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Eyre', this is not a "trivial" subject. You are wise to consult the Forum on this important issue. One must explore the meaning behind the map issue.

Does the purchase of a new trailer erase the past? If so, are you still married? If you answer yes to 1, the answer to 2 may be no depending on what state you are in, but if the map is naked, you are in no state at all. You may have to consult a lawyer or a Jesuit.

The real question is not whether your wife (should you still be married depending on the answers to questions 1 and 2) should determine what states go on the map, but whether your wife is worth keeping? Is this the only problem with her, or is she anal retentive in a way that makes life crazy for you? Can you afford a lawyer (one that can show you how to hide money in foreign banks)? Is she open to compromise—two maps, one with the states already visited, and one naked?

You'll notice by now that consulting a lawyer is important to determining all answers to all things, metaphysical and otherwise.

[Transparency alert: We've been to 49 states together, with and without an RV, have no maps on the side of anything, and have other things to argue about. We consult a lawyer every day.]

Gene

Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Well, I suppose a lawyer would see it that way; us accountants have another hand available for being on.

I am fortunate that the 31-footer has so much storage space that Page has not yet been able to find where I keep our map "kit". Otherwise who knows where we would be.

Consensus in this matter should be as easy to find as it is in the WD Hitch forum.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #17
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Where on the map, does one place the stickers for the states of Bewilderment and Confusion? I have been in each many times and sometimes for quite a while.

Ken
Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
You could compromise and each have your own map, then argue over whose is filling in faster Me, I just put a sticker from a place of interest we've been on my back window (see my avatar), although my wife says I have to leave some space to see out...
Old 06-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA

My wife posted a picture of ours on Instagram, we just finally installed it on the door today.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's pretty cool looking!

Maggie
Old 06-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #21
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Eyrestream,
Nice toss. I am with Ag&Au on this one. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bold, how did you get from Va. to NY or Ga. to Va. without going through some other states—ferry? Or are the colored states the ones you haven't been to?

The map is out of date—Nunavut isn't outlined, but is part of the Northwest Terr. as it once was. But, since there are no roads to Nunavut, maybe it doesn't belong on the map. And where is PEI or Nova Scotia? And Toronto, London, Niagara Falls are all in Quebec, but the Gaspé is in New Brunswick. Must be a map done by an American.

Gene
Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Bold, how did you get from Va. to NY or Ga. to Va. without going through some other states—ferry? Or are the colored states the ones you haven't been to?
My Airstream is actually a TARDIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
My rule is you have to spend 3 nights there in your Airstream to count as a visit.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
don't argue, like you said its trivial, but be sure to keep the old map

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Our map is starting to curl, and needs to be replaced. Currently it shows where the trailer has been. I'm toying with the idea of marking the new map by placing the states in position where we have been, but putting a small dot for where the trailer has been with other owners. There have only been two owners and the one I bought it from indicated that it was original and they updated it so it has the trailer's history. Hopefully we will replace all the dots and add some new states.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bold', you may have the strictest rules of anyone for when you are in a state long enough for it to count.

If I can see it, I feel like I was sort of there. First time I went to Michigan, it was from looking at it from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, took a couple of years before we stood on it. And if you don't stand on it (with or without shoes, socks?), but are riding in a truck, are you really in the state? How about if you fly over it? Lean over the state line? Do you have to be fully in the state, or does a big toe or a nose count? How about a map with all 3,000 US counties—you'd need a 34' or a 5th wheel to fit it on and have to wrap the map all the way around. Has anyone filled in all 50 states?

This reminds me of a book I had when I was a kid—when you saw a license plate from another state, you'd write in the state, colors, etc. That was when license plates weren't all the same size—Tenn. and Pa. were the shape of the state, NJ was close to square. And the plates changed every year, so the colors usually reversed each year. This said not where you'd been, but where others came from. I think each state's (and there were only 48 then) page had the state capital and other stuff kids are supposed to learn. To this day, I still look at license plates as a habit and can't understand why NY isn't blue and orange anymore.

Gene
Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Solving the Issue

Happy wife Happy wife!!!
enough said

Earl