Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #85
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Living in San Diego was a great excuse for excursions down to Rosarita and Ensenada. I have been there many times and loved each trip. I love the people and the culture and haggling for a good price on goods. Tons of Fun.

I can not think of any good reason to venture into Mexico today with our AS in tow. The Policia and Federales and gangs can be downright evil when it comes to "violating" their laws. I wish it were the exception, but the "personas del Norte" are an easy target for extortion. I have lived in Honduras as well. Same thing. If they like you, all is well. Paint a target on yourself and trouble will find you.
Like someone said; I Love humanity. Its the people I cant stand.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Travel into Mexico?

I work with almost exclusively with Americans of Mexican descent in Las Cruces, NM. (About fifty miles from an international bridge) Out of about fifteen, only one EVER goes to Mexico.... To visit his mom or dad...

#JustSayin

What might they know?

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
The main thing the state dept warnings did when I went down to Guatemala a few months ago was to make all my kids worry and think the old man had finally gone off the deep end. My wife had a different attitude: "Don't expect ME to send a ransom down there. If they ask me, you're out of luck!"

What I found, after traveling many hundreds of miles through the country, exploring the Mayan temples at Tikal, staying for a few weeks in Antigua, and boating up the Rio Dulce to Livingston was quite different: a country full of friendly people and a lot of American expats running restaurants, bars, and hotels, all of whom thinking they were Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca and wanting to act the part.

True, as I said before, their driving customs are different. They fully expect, as they drive into the opposing lane to pass going up a blind hill, that any oncoming traffic will move onto the shoulder to let them by. Which they do, without any horn blowing or cursing. I suppose that's the way things work there, but I'm not ready to drive that way myself.

True, they had a bloody revolution in the '80's, where more than a hundred thousand lost their lives. But so did we in the 18th and 19th centuries, and so did Ireland almost continually for the last few centuries. How many of you would be reluctant to visit Ireland, even during the troubles? Is that because some of the people you see on the street look like you and might be your distant cousins? Unfortunately, cousins shot cousins during the troubles, but not many American tourists.

I think the problem with these warnings is that we are warned about too many things in modern society, so eventually we become numb to them and begin to ignore all warnings. Then we have things like young Americans backpacking on the Iraq Iran border, and we say in amazement, "What in the h*** could they have been thinking of?"

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/21/americ...ism/index.html

Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
A great vacation could be visiting old historical sites. Antioch is nice, I hear.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The ones who ride motorcycles without helmets will all tell you it is safe. My brother is a doctor and they're called organ donors in the medical profession. The ones who would tell you otherwise are mostly dead. When I was a kid it was a special treat to ride in the back of a pickup truck. Many of us had no problems and didn't think of it as dangerous. Statistics proved otherwise and now we have a law against such practise. Towing an Airstream into Mexico is flaunting ostentatious wealth. It says "Mug me I'm rich"
Old 04-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Ok, I can't resist posting a little over the top propaganda to support my position....

It is the way of the future....

http://youtu.be/cheLr1JufCQ

Ask Indian Larry....

Old 04-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
I am sure we have places in our own country that are on the "travel advisory" for foreign tourists. I remember when I was living in Florida in the 90s there was a rash of killings of German tourists. They were being targeted as they left the airports in rental cars. They were carjacked and a few were killed in the process. The German government put out a travel warning for the state of Florida.

Having served over 23 years in the Marines, I have travelled to many places around the world. In many of those places I felt safer than in some cities I've been to in this country. What would other countries advise their citizens about Detroit, Baltimore, New York City, Oakland, Little Rock, New Orleans? Here’s an article with our own top 10: The 10 most dangerous cities in America - MarketWatch

The key is to do a threat assessment on where you're going, and if not comfortable with the assumed risk, pick another location to visit.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
This thread reminds me of a ST tire thread.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #94
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Travel into Mexico?

The Germans being mugged in Florida was an interesting thing. The reason they were being targeted was because it was safer to mug tourists, as they couldn't carry concealed weapons. Catch them coming out of the airport in a rental car, and you're guaranteed to not have an armed victim...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
The Germans being mugged in Florida was an interesting thing. The reason they were being targeted was because it was safer to mug tourists, as they couldn't carry concealed weapons. Catch them coming out of the airport in a rental car, and you're guaranteed to not have an armed victim...

yep.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #96
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
As a nod to the original topic, while I'm not interested in Mexico right now, my brother in law and his wife just got back from a few weeks in Mexico, and then Cuba. They had a blast. Not sure how it would be towing the camper though...

Scary places in the US? I was switching interstates at about 2:00 am one night in Memphis, and my GPS took me through a section of Memphis I had absolutely no business in... Hookers and dealers on every corner. I kept it moving through there. Just about the most nervous I've ever been in my life...

-Red, staying out of Memphis and Mexico for the time being...

Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #97
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Red,
Reminds me of the Chevy Chase movie and looking for directions while cruising the hood in St. Louis. Might have been the one with Grandma on the roof.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #98
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Every trip I make turns into National Lampoon's Vacation...

-Red, trying to figure out the common denominator...