Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
tphan, funny response. You are the one that posted the off-topic post and I simply responded to it. GOOGLE is your friend.

Now back to the subject at hand.
Yes, take your Airstrams to Mexico and have a wonderful time. Use common sense and you will have a trip to remember.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I live near New Orleans and travel through the city often. I've lived here for over 40 years and I know where not to go and when not to go. I also am always armed when I'm in town. As for Chigaco and Peoria; I'd rather have a local with me so I wouldn't walk into danger.
We have tourist here and ever year some of them take a wrong turn. The last one was a South American doctor that got lost in the swamp for three days. He was only 100 yards from a road but did't know it. I'm just saying that knowing the local turf is important for your safety, no matter where you are.
Since I've had experince traveling in Mexico for a long time I still would not recommend it for the average traveler for this year. Maybe things will get better.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
tphan, funny response. You are the one that posted the off-topic post and I simply responded to it. GOOGLE is your friend.
Actually, I think you're confusing me with the member "Handn", who you quoted in your post # 37. I'm the one who later asked for a link to any evidence supporting your statement in that same post. Sorry about all the fact-checking, and good luck on your next trip down into Mexico with your Airstream.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
We have moored our yacht in San Carlos for the last 5 years. We drive from Vegas 4-6 times a year. We stick to the main highway and do not drive at night, although I have driven early evening after dark and early morning before sunrise. Take basic precautions, do not go to the hotspots of drug violence, don't stop for hitchhikers, don't look like you have a lot of dough, don't buy more than user quantity of drugs at a pharmacia, don't get drunk in public and if you go to a bar go to a gringo bar and not a back street bodega. I am also a pilot. the many people I interact with in sailing and aviation generally feel safe in mexico. I have never heard anyone think the policia were out to get you. i suggest that anyone who feels that way was either breaking the law or is uninformed. military and federali have never been anything but courteous and helpful to us and those we have traveled with. although it is intimidating to see their automatic weapons and be forced to leave our protection at home. There are several cities I would not go to right now but to damn a whole country is ignorant. I have no doubt that I am safer in many places in Mexico than on 8 mile in Detroit, above 110th street in New York or in parts of Vegas (these are 3 areas with notoriously high murder rates) or anywhere the cast of jersey shore is throwing a party.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
The Baja has always been good to me although my last trip was 3 years ago. I have been down 6 times since 1998, 5 on a motorcycle,1 in a auto. I have never been hassled or felt unsafe. Then again I grew up in the projects in Phoenix.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
So- has anyone here traveled down into Mexico with their AS in tow lately? I was wondering if the travel experience has changed at all with Pena Nieto's running of the country. ? Stories, please.....
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

We have passed through the border recently at Nogales a couple of times without our Airstream.
There has been extensive work at the crossing on the U.S. side and the plan is not RV friendly.
Going in, stay in the truck lane through the U.S. weapons checkpoint. If you are in the auto lane, you will never make it through the desert storm concrete barricades after the checkpoint. It would be nice if there was a sign telling rv's to use the truck lane.
Going out, follow the busses and go to the far left lane otherwise you will never make the right angle turn after the agricultural inspection booths. Again there is no sign.
Hopefully, the finished product will make it easier for RV's than it is now.
Pena Nieto has made no difference in Sonora. Most of it has always been safe.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Went there often in the 70's, Cancun in the 90's, and didn't leave anything I need to go back for, especially with the current lawlessness and risk. There are too many other places I haven't been but want to see to put up with the uncertainty.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:25 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Mexico anyone?

Mexico Travel Warning
Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I still have a desire to look at a winter Rally group to the archaeological sites along the eastern seaboard and Yucatan in the '18 or '19 timeframe. All the reading I am doing suggests heavy use of private roads, with a level of guide knowledge, etc. it's doable, but the idea right now is remaining an idea for now.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
That's enough to keep me out of there.

Others go, and love it, tho.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
One of my retirement plans is to try to become fluent in Spanish, and in connection with that, to visit at least one Spanish speaking country a year. So far, I've visited Mexico twice, Spain, and Guatemala. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my trips so far, and have found the people in each of the countries I've visited to be warm and helpful to a gringo trying to learn their language.

Ironically, while I was living with a family in Queretaro, Mexico during my first trip, there was a shootout near Denver, CO, where 12 people died in a movie theater. Because of that and other similar shootings or bombings here in the US, I think the family I was staying with probably would be more nervous about coming to the U.S. than any of you would be about going to Mexico.

I have always tried to pick places to visit that don't attract many other gringos, as I want to be forced to speak as much Spanish as possible, and places with a rich cultural heritage, which I think also tend to be safer to visit than more cosmopolitan places. I'm not interested in hanging out in sleazy bars, and have no desire to indulge in any drugs that haven't been prescribed for me.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to drive in any of the countries I've visited. The local customs and rules are just too different for me to pick up in a few weeks. However, I've met many American expats who have been there long enough that they feel perfectly comfortable driving, and I probably would too if I were younger and had quicker reflexes. I would be even less likely to want to bring my Airstream there, for the same reason. Also, in most of these countries they advise you not to flaunt your jewelry, iPhones, etc., and what bigger jewel could you flaunt than your shiny aluminum Airstream?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I spend quite a bit of time in the Yucatan. Do not believe everything that you read about Mexico. Use the same common sense (if you have any) there that you use at home and you will have a wonderful safe time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I've traveled in the Mexican state of Sonora quite a bit, although much of that was 15 - 20 years ago. Much of that travel was back in the little towns up in the mountains. I had folks make a couple half-hearted attempts to cheat me out of ten bucks at gas stations, but that's seriously the worst thing that's happened.

We have taken the Airstream down to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) several times, again with no issues in Mexico. In fact, our forum icon picture was taken in Rocky Point.

The US Border Patrol can be a whole different story, clearly. You have zero constitutional rights at the border. Zero, none, nada.

There's enough money being made off the tourists in Rocky Point that it serves as kind of a shield against the narcotrafficantes, although common sense is still a requirement.

If you intend to get drunk, drive recklessly, flip people off, be rude and generally act like the north end of a south-bound horse, stay home.

If you have sense enough to know at least a little Spanish and be polite and friendly, you'll be fine in Rocky Point.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Getting away without any incident does not equate with safety. Like riding a motorcycle without a helmet, It's safe enough until it isn't. Having gotten away X number of times does not improve the odds of the next time. Every time you roll the dice the odds are the same. sooner or later it comes up snake eyes.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I live about 150 miles from the border, and my brother lives 5 miles from the border.

Y'all obviously can do whatever you want, but I WILL NOT cross the border, and I'm pretty much nervous and on guard when I visit my brother.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
If you're nervous and feel in danger in Mexico, that in and of itself is a great reason not to go.
The whole point of traveling is to relax and have fun, right?

Besides, that leaves mas tequila for us foolhardy types.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
If you're nervous and feel in danger in Mexico, that in and of itself is a great reason not to go.
The whole point of traveling is to relax and have fun, right?

Besides, that leaves mas tequila for us foolhardy types.
Excellent response. Too many stupid uptight rude gringos down there as it is. It amazes me that some people even leave the supposed safety of their houses. It is a dangerous world that just begs to be challenged.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
You guys can laugh and try to belittle me all you want, and it's obvious you don't get the news from South Texas. There are reasons the State of Texas has National Guard troops and Extra Texas Dept. of Public Safety troopers on the border to assist the Border Patrol. Do a Google search and read about it.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Travel into Mexico?

I lived within 30 miles of the border for over forty years, I have no desire to cross into Mexico at all and have not done so since I was a young teen.

It isn't so much the "bad guys" that promote in me a healthy reluctance to go into Mexico, but more that the "good guys" who can take everything you have, lock you up, and throw away the key.

I personally know one guy who was kidnapped in Mexico, and another who was locked in prison for several years.

It took several hundred thousand American dollars to get each of them out.

#JustSayin'

Travel at your own risk and buy some ransom insurance to save your family from spending every penny they have to get you out...

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote