Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

If someone is interested in coming to Mexico but is worried by all of the tales, some of them tall, I suggested flying to one of the well known resorts such as Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, or San Jose del Cabo.
Package deals (hotel and airfare) are cheap and the risk to one's person is no more than in an Amercian winter resort.
If you like it and are comfortable, consider traveling here in your Airstream.
Wally Bynum had the spirit of adventure and traveled to Mexico and beyond.
If you are interested, find out for yourself what it is like and don't rely on stories spread by those who have never been here.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Sure go ahead and head on down there,,, if you have acess to a computer when they throw you in prison, fire off an e-mail to me and I'll send you some clean underwear and socks. You might want to check out the story of that x-marine that went down there last Aug, they let him out in time for Christmas.
On a serious note, I wouldn't go there if every thing was free.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

I haven't heard about the marine. One of the posts on this thread said he was caught with a gun. If that's true, I am not suprised he had lots of problems.
One of the few things that will get you in big trouble down here is if they find a gun or even a bullet in your vehicle.
An acquaintance of mine got caught trying to smuggle a sporting shotgun across. It cost him several nights in a very unpleasant jail and thousands of dollars in fines and attorneys fees.
I have lots of guns in Colorado but none in Mexico.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
[QUOTE=handn;1243478.
If you are interested, find out for yourself what it is like and don't rely on stories spread by those who have never been here.[/QUOTE]

Problem is, many of the posts here are by folks who in fact have spent a lot of time in Mexico, and who now say they feel uncomfortable with the risks and costs. I think the reality is that you just never know what will happen when you hitch up and leave your driveway, and you may end up having just a swell time driving down to Puerto Escondido or Merida. It's just that it sounds like the odds of that happening are less than 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Do your homework, weigh the odds, and then go for it- whether in Mexico or anywhere else.
I've thought about this, and decided that if I do it in the near future, I'll just "rough it" by going in my older minivan, minus all the back seats and with a mini-rv set-up in it. If it feels safe, and I locate an RV park that I really like, I'd consider then going back with the AS. But no way will I venture beyond Nogales without a re-con trip in a car that I don't mind having stolen, or trashing on all the speed bumps.

for sure: Aprende Espanol, y no solamente un poquito. Buena suerte.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have always thought that I would like to go to Mexico, but since I have not been west of Texas for about 45 years, I have a lot of the U.S. to see before I need to worry about going to Mexico.

It is still on my bucket list, but down near the bottom.

Dan
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been going down to the Merida, Yucatan area several times a year for the last 10 years. I stay in local pensions (hostels), eat and party where the locals do. Not once in all that time have I ever felt threatened or in any sort of danger. I also speak fairly good Spanglish and that certainly helps. I have never set foot in an all-inclusive resort down there and don't plan too. They cater to too many drunk, stupid gringo tourist for my taste. Common sense rules apply, just like anywhere in the world. Go, have fun, make some new friends and unforgettable memories.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have never set foot in an all-inclusive resort down there and don't plan too. They cater to too many drunk, stupid gringo tourist for my taste.

That's all I've ever gone to down there & all I'll ever go to down there. At least I feel safe as a gringo tourist (not a drunk or stupid one, though!!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
In January of 2009 we crossed upriver from Brownsville, pulling our 22' International.
We enjoyed the trip. Without exception, we found the people kind and humane.
We went as far as the Emarald Coast. We were aiming for Yucatan but were called home for a funeral. We left our Airstream in a private RV park for 10 days while we drove and flew back to Iowa via the Twin Cities.
Anyone thinking abouta trip south of our border should visit the web site of Rolling Homes Press.
Their book on Mexican Camping is the best resource.
This winter we are going to the US Gulf Coast. I am going to look into a ferry out of Mobil Alabama that might let us bypass the boarder regions.
Jay
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I haven't heard about the marine. One of the posts on this thread said he was caught with a gun. If that's true, I am not suprised he had lots of problems.
One of the few things that will get you in big trouble down here is if they find a gun or even a bullet in your vehicle.
An acquaintance of mine got caught trying to smuggle a sporting shotgun across. It cost him several nights in a very unpleasant jail and thousands of dollars in fines and attorneys fees.
I have lots of guns in Colorado but none in Mexico.
It did not happen that way at all. I am not going to go into all the details of his case here. You can look it up. Simply put he did not do anything wrong or violate any laws. He was the victim of an overzealous official that overstepped his authority. The tragedy is that our government did nothing to help him until it started to become an embarrassment to the administration.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It did not happen that way at all. I am not going to go into all the details of his case here. You can look it up. Simply put he did not do anything wrong or violate any laws. He was the victim of an overzealous official that overstepped his authority. The tragedy is that our government did nothing to help him until it started to become an embarrassment to the administration.
To Awchief: I just did look it up, and it did happen that way, and he did violate Mexican gun laws, at least according to this Yahoo news story: Mexico frees ex-Marine jailed for bringing in gun - Yahoo! News If you can post a link to a verifiable source that confirms what you have stated, we'd probably all be interested in seeing that.

But- the question originally posed in this thread was whether or not members here thought it safe to take their Airstream down into Mexico, not whether or not they should try to smuggle a gun into that country. I think there have been some well-reasoned responses, Mexray's being one of them.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico

Watching this thread!

Lynn
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post

Watching this thread!

Lynn
Uh-oh!

Better be good, dad is watching.

Maggie
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
tphan, funny response. You are the one that posted the off-topic post and I simply responded to it. GOOGLE is your friend.

Now back to the subject at hand.
Yes, take your Airstrams to Mexico and have a wonderful time. Use common sense and you will have a trip to remember.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I live near New Orleans and travel through the city often. I've lived here for over 40 years and I know where not to go and when not to go. I also am always armed when I'm in town. As for Chigaco and Peoria; I'd rather have a local with me so I wouldn't walk into danger.
We have tourist here and ever year some of them take a wrong turn. The last one was a South American doctor that got lost in the swamp for three days. He was only 100 yards from a road but did't know it. I'm just saying that knowing the local turf is important for your safety, no matter where you are.
Since I've had experince traveling in Mexico for a long time I still would not recommend it for the average traveler for this year. Maybe things will get better.