Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We winter in those Southwest areas every year and would love to go deep into Mexico. So much to see and experience.

It won't happen as things are. I don't know if the country will ever restore civility.
Our own country has lost some of it, heavily armed and dangerous in some places. With no solutions there and frontier solutions here, doesn't look like its going to get better.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm flying in & flying out in a couple of weeks to Cozumel....can't wait!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We have been visiting Mexico, in various places since 1970...Things have changed...we WON'T go back...!

We've never really been hassled by the Policia, but have been by various Govt agencies for their 'required' paperwork to visit their country - unlike their citizens that 'visit' our country after a short 'hike'...!

We recently 'owned' (leased) a great place right on a wonderful beach below Mulege in Baja California Sur... Had the place for almost 10 years, and it was wonderful place to be, once there...

Things have changed - prices are much higher today than in years past - the local citizens suffer from higher cost of living and some have taken to inventing new sources of income...

Some Pemex gas/diesel station (only stations in Mexico) vendors invent ways to 'cheat' the price if you're not vigilant, and once you've been 'taken' you have no one to turn to, to correct the situation...

Rental land costs for foreigners have risen as the Mexicans have realized just how attractive their 'beach front' locations are to us...cantinas, markets, etc., have, for the most part, 'adjusted' their prices to reflect the visiting 'well heeled' foreigners....

Travel on remote Mexican roads can be hazardous...narrow roads, grazing cattle (reason for not driving at night), dangerous local driving habits, banditios-yes armed bad guys that like the looks of you nice new SUV or Pickup!

Mexican armed military check points on their roads are also a hassle - travel delays and light fingered tactics by some less-than-honest soldiers...NEVER let them go through your stuff without being next to them - lock other doors so they can't divide and conquer, so to speak!!!

We haven't had the 'pleasure' of having our vehicle stolen or in a road accident, but have known those that have - it's almost a COMPLETE loss of not only your vehicle but ALL your possessions as well... Sure insurance helps to some degree, but does not make you completely well again, and can take many months, if not years - plus you have to find another way to get home at your expense!!!

No we won't be going back - we loved the places we visited and lived in Mexico, but the current risks and increased prices have changed all that...

We've elected to spend our RV & vacation dollars here in the USA - there's no conversion rate to worry about, also, the money, for the most part stays here to 'help' our economy...!

IMHO, why spend your dollars below the border and take the odd chance of being harmed there - I'll take my chances of up here any day, the natives are friendly (for the most part), and they speak English (for the most part)...

Getting to see all that's available here at home can take several life times - we'll just have to find another 'beach' closer to home...!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #24
Rivet Master

All the things MexRay says are true to a degree.
I have heard of all these things happening but never to me or someone I know with the exception of gas station fraud. It is much less prevelent than it used to be because the newer pumps must be zeroed before each use.
I don't use credit cards for gas because of identity theft and watch my change. If someone tries to cheat me I stand my ground and respond in my basic Spanish. If the cheat pursists, which is almost never, I ask for the boss. I am patient and quiet and have never been successfully cheated. You can't pull into a station tell them to filler up and go to the rest room. You may be plucked clean as a chicken.
Some of the paperwork is a hassle and expensive but it is less of a hassle crossing into Mexico than back into the U.S. We have had unpleasant instances with hyper Miami vice type U.S. customs officers and we are not difficult to get along with. Mexican officialdom and young soldies are unfailingly polite. The customs people are agreeable as they have been told not to discourage people from entering Mexico.
There are things you worry about in the U.S. such as road rage and mall shootings that never occur in Mexico. Generally the violence occurs over money or drugs rather than anger and does not involve gringos. Most people do not have a hand gun. (Do not bring yours into Mexico unless you want to see the most unpleasant side of Mexican officialdom).
To each his own, we have no stake in getting people to come to Mexico who would be nervous about the trip. We love to fish and boat and have found one of the best places in the world to do it.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I've been in and out of Mexico for the last 30 years. First, Mexico was never that safe to travel in. The police were unreliable and there always was some political unrest. Still, up until about five years ago it wasn't all that bad. If you stuck to the main travel routes and tourist locations it was fairly safe.
I would not try it this year or any year until Mexico gets it durg cartels under control. Last time I was there you could hear automatic gun fire from the hotel durring the night. No way I'd take a camper or RV into Mexico right now.
The only way you might consider it is if you have freinds or family who live in Mexico. They might be able to help you plan a route that would keep you out of danger. There is nothing better than good info from someone on the ground who knows the area. I have a friend that goes every year. His wife is Mexican and they have familly that lives there. She is well informed, speaks the language and knows the land. Do you?
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
I've been in and out of Mexico for the last 30 years. First, Mexico was never that safe to travel in. The police were unreliable and there always was some political unrest. Still, up until about five years ago it wasn't all that bad. If you stuck to the main travel routes and tourist locations it was fairly safe.
I would not try it this year or any year until Mexico gets it durg cartels under control. Last time I was there you could hear automatic gun fire from the hotel durring the night. No way I'd take a camper or RV into Mexico right now.
The only way you might consider it is if you have freinds or family who live in Mexico. They might be able to help you plan a route that would keep you out of danger. There is nothing better than good info from someone on the ground who knows the area. I have a friend that goes every year. His wife is Mexican and they have familly that lives there. She is well informed, speaks the language and knows the land. Do you?

I take it that you wouldn't travel through New Orleans, either, which has seen 192 murders so far this year, mostly related to drugs and handguns. I was born in NOLA, and know that risk lies much closer to home than Mexico. With all respect, my point is that people shouldn't lose perspective and make absolute statements about entire countries.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
I take it that you wouldn't travel through New Orleans, either, which has seen 192 murders so far this year, mostly related to drugs and handguns. I was born in NOLA, and know that risk lies much closer to home than Mexico. With all respect, my point is that people shouldn't lose perspective and make absolute statements about entire countries.
And for that matter, you won't find me in South Chicago either.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
And for that matter, you won't find me in South Chicago either.
Or the south side of Peoria, Il, west side of Bloomington, Il, New York City, etc.

A good point made by JamJoe, IMO. Much can be said for experience and therefore, perspective.

Many people are afraid of NOLA, which we find flabbergasting. We have been there several dozen times over the past 20 years and have never had any problems. It is one of our favorite cities. We have always heeded warnings of areas to avoid and times of night to be inside.

Doug and I spent 25 years working in and around less desirable neighborhoods, and were never accosted or had any problems. Sometimes we were in the company of law enforcement, most of the time we were not. People in the white collar world couldn't believe what we did for a living, and weren't we afraid???

We used common sense and remained alert to our environment----also looked people in the eye, greeted everyone pleasantly and acted unafraid. This is what we were told worked best, and it did.

It seems that travel in Mexico has worked well for some, who perhaps over years have perfected the art of being safe in that country.

Glad for them, wish things weren't in the state they are now which prevents many of us from experiencing Mexico. Probably not the place for a greenhorn, at this point in time at least.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

If someone is interested in coming to Mexico but is worried by all of the tales, some of them tall, I suggested flying to one of the well known resorts such as Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, or San Jose del Cabo.
Package deals (hotel and airfare) are cheap and the risk to one's person is no more than in an Amercian winter resort.
If you like it and are comfortable, consider traveling here in your Airstream.
Wally Bynum had the spirit of adventure and traveled to Mexico and beyond.
If you are interested, find out for yourself what it is like and don't rely on stories spread by those who have never been here.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Sure go ahead and head on down there,,, if you have acess to a computer when they throw you in prison, fire off an e-mail to me and I'll send you some clean underwear and socks. You might want to check out the story of that x-marine that went down there last Aug, they let him out in time for Christmas.
On a serious note, I wouldn't go there if every thing was free.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

I haven't heard about the marine. One of the posts on this thread said he was caught with a gun. If that's true, I am not suprised he had lots of problems.
One of the few things that will get you in big trouble down here is if they find a gun or even a bullet in your vehicle.
An acquaintance of mine got caught trying to smuggle a sporting shotgun across. It cost him several nights in a very unpleasant jail and thousands of dollars in fines and attorneys fees.
I have lots of guns in Colorado but none in Mexico.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
[QUOTE=handn;1243478.
If you are interested, find out for yourself what it is like and don't rely on stories spread by those who have never been here.[/QUOTE]

Problem is, many of the posts here are by folks who in fact have spent a lot of time in Mexico, and who now say they feel uncomfortable with the risks and costs. I think the reality is that you just never know what will happen when you hitch up and leave your driveway, and you may end up having just a swell time driving down to Puerto Escondido or Merida. It's just that it sounds like the odds of that happening are less than 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Do your homework, weigh the odds, and then go for it- whether in Mexico or anywhere else.
I've thought about this, and decided that if I do it in the near future, I'll just "rough it" by going in my older minivan, minus all the back seats and with a mini-rv set-up in it. If it feels safe, and I locate an RV park that I really like, I'd consider then going back with the AS. But no way will I venture beyond Nogales without a re-con trip in a car that I don't mind having stolen, or trashing on all the speed bumps.

for sure: Aprende Espanol, y no solamente un poquito. Buena suerte.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have always thought that I would like to go to Mexico, but since I have not been west of Texas for about 45 years, I have a lot of the U.S. to see before I need to worry about going to Mexico.

It is still on my bucket list, but down near the bottom.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been going down to the Merida, Yucatan area several times a year for the last 10 years. I stay in local pensions (hostels), eat and party where the locals do. Not once in all that time have I ever felt threatened or in any sort of danger. I also speak fairly good Spanglish and that certainly helps. I have never set foot in an all-inclusive resort down there and don't plan too. They cater to too many drunk, stupid gringo tourist for my taste. Common sense rules apply, just like anywhere in the world. Go, have fun, make some new friends and unforgettable memories.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have never set foot in an all-inclusive resort down there and don't plan too. They cater to too many drunk, stupid gringo tourist for my taste.

That's all I've ever gone to down there & all I'll ever go to down there. At least I feel safe as a gringo tourist (not a drunk or stupid one, though!!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
In January of 2009 we crossed upriver from Brownsville, pulling our 22' International.
We enjoyed the trip. Without exception, we found the people kind and humane.
We went as far as the Emarald Coast. We were aiming for Yucatan but were called home for a funeral. We left our Airstream in a private RV park for 10 days while we drove and flew back to Iowa via the Twin Cities.
Anyone thinking abouta trip south of our border should visit the web site of Rolling Homes Press.
Their book on Mexican Camping is the best resource.
This winter we are going to the US Gulf Coast. I am going to look into a ferry out of Mobil Alabama that might let us bypass the boarder regions.
Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I haven't heard about the marine. One of the posts on this thread said he was caught with a gun. If that's true, I am not suprised he had lots of problems.
One of the few things that will get you in big trouble down here is if they find a gun or even a bullet in your vehicle.
An acquaintance of mine got caught trying to smuggle a sporting shotgun across. It cost him several nights in a very unpleasant jail and thousands of dollars in fines and attorneys fees.
I have lots of guns in Colorado but none in Mexico.
It did not happen that way at all. I am not going to go into all the details of his case here. You can look it up. Simply put he did not do anything wrong or violate any laws. He was the victim of an overzealous official that overstepped his authority. The tragedy is that our government did nothing to help him until it started to become an embarrassment to the administration.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It did not happen that way at all. I am not going to go into all the details of his case here. You can look it up. Simply put he did not do anything wrong or violate any laws. He was the victim of an overzealous official that overstepped his authority. The tragedy is that our government did nothing to help him until it started to become an embarrassment to the administration.
To Awchief: I just did look it up, and it did happen that way, and he did violate Mexican gun laws, at least according to this Yahoo news story: Mexico frees ex-Marine jailed for bringing in gun - Yahoo! News If you can post a link to a verifiable source that confirms what you have stated, we'd probably all be interested in seeing that.

But- the question originally posed in this thread was whether or not members here thought it safe to take their Airstream down into Mexico, not whether or not they should try to smuggle a gun into that country. I think there have been some well-reasoned responses, Mexray's being one of them.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico

Watching this thread!

Lynn
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois