Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Travel in freezing weather

We haven't taken our usual summer vacation yet this year. Instead we are thinking about taking a couple of weeks in early November down in Fla.

Normally by that time of year we have winterized the Safari and its safely tucked away in an inside storage site. So I'm curious, not as much on the trip south but the return north. Most likely our last stop will be somewhere in Tennessee, probably Nashville. My gut feeling is I probably will need to winterize prior to leaving Nashville to St. Louis. I thought I read that you can travel with the furnace on (never have tried it). I assume if you do that you can keep things warm enough but I'm not sure. I would think that temps. that time of the year could be as low as the mid 20's.

Any thoughts?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mid-20s

I have camped when the outside temp was as low as 26 without any problems with just one 1600 watt ceramic heater going in the trailer. Nothing froze up (I had disconnected city water). My trailer does not have insulation or a belly pan underneath.

The furnace is much more than 1600 watts and heats the holding tanks as well. I see no reason not to travel with it on at a low thermostat setting; I did it once by error and I have left the water heater on a time or two over the years. I would expect that you would have no problems travelling in the mid-20s without winterizing.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:39 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jack,

When we lived in Wisconsin we traveled in december a few times and we did so with the furnace on. Outside temps were in the 20's and we had no freezing issues. Just remember to shut down the furnace prior to pulling into a gas station since the furnace pulls in outside air for combustion.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 05:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

We like to camp in the late fall and early winter on weekends. I found a really nice air compressor with two gallon tank that stores away under the floor of our rear wardrobe. I just blow out the lines before leaving the campground, dump the tanks at a dump station, and open the petcocks for the fresh water and hot water tanks on my way out.

The compressor I bought is a Delta oil-less unit, so no oil is getting into the water lines. Sears sells something very similar, but it is a oil-type, which seemed to me to be less desirable. Both models go for about $100.

Of course, that is a little high for a single use.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Jack,
Have done several late fall early winter trips and stop in Kentucky on the way home. I carry a small 12 volt compressor in the truck in case of a low tire but also have used it to blow out the water lines in the trailer. After blowing out the water lines I leave my low point drains open and open all faucets and fresh water tank drain. Add RV antifreeze to the sink traps and head home to the cold north country. Have never had a problem with anything freezing up.

Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Travel with furnace on

I have travelled with the furnace on many,many times with no probelms. It would be wish to empty you water storage tank I had mine freeze.

open all water lines and blow from the taps back to the source. I have a device that install into the water inlet and blew through that but if there is a slight low spot in you lines water with, and in my case did and froze and cracked the water lines. A most joyfull job. Had to pull the toilet fittings all out to get at it. Be sure to enpty the water heater and leave the over flow vent open,and the drain open.

We carry jugs filled with water to use and we travel from Toronto Canada area to Key West. one time when coming home we stayed in Windsor and it was so cold the puppy dog slept under the covers.

Remember that Airstream product have an aluminum skin, on an aluminum frame, and aluminum on the inside. and excellent device for heat and cold transfer. Not the best for winter travel.

Rae Baker
Burlington, Ontario , Canada
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:10 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Its good to hear that you can leave the furnace running. That would give me some room to do the winterizing at home rather that out on the road. I will be careful at gas stations. Who knows maybe we will bring some of that Fla warmth back with us and keep things above freezing until we get settled in back home.

As a safety I'll bring the anti freeze with me in case I run into a furnace problem.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote