Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Travel By Auto Ferry Boat?

We are considering taking the ferry from Wisconsin to Ludington Michigan. Has anyone had any experience with this type of travel? Or perhaps are we better of just driving and enjoying the trip?
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have never put my AS on a ferry, but been on lots of ferrys with big vehicles. Why not?. Plus if the ferry sinks Airstreams will float longer than your car.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Took the ferry (actually, two) to Cape Hatteras two summers ago. As they were both of the open type it was very cool sitting on the couch watching the water and the gulls.

A mite pricey but saved lots of driving and had a very high spiffiness quotient.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
If it is the Badger out of Manitowoc I think it would be a very fun thing to do and probably worth the money. Also Manitowoc has a very nice maritime museum with a great WWII submarine tour.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
3 trips by ferry

We have taken 28', 25' and 23' Airstreams on ferries. Very tight, but the workers were very good at what they did, and parked us with no problems at all.

Each trip was fun and would do it again.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
My brother and wife with a 30' SOB took the Luddiington Ferry and had a very good report. The two dogs had to ride in the trailer for the trip but survived just fine although my sister-in-law worried about them the whole time.

We are considering taking the ferry with our 19' Bambi this July on the way back from a trip to the UP and Lake Superior. If you get on the ferry before July, please post about your experiences. And I will too!

Cheers,

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl
My brother and wife with a 30' SOB took the Luddiington Ferry and had a very good report. The two dogs had to ride in the trailer for the trip but survived just fine although my sister-in-law worried about them the whole time.

We are considering taking the ferry with our 19' Bambi this July on the way back from a trip to the UP and Lake Superior. If you get on the ferry before July, please post about your experiences. And I will too!

Cheers,

Caryl

I haven't planned the entire trip as of yet, but I will keep you informed as we progress.We also will have 2 small dogs and we will have to consider leaving them in the Airstream as we cross the lake. I am certain that will be an issue with my wife. Thanks for the info.
Allen
Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Hello neighbors in LF and here in Evanston:

We are actually also considering it for this summer so look forward to knowing more about it. Caryl, we're also doing UP/Lake Superior late July/early August.

Tom, and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
A Small Caravan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Hello neighbors in LF and here in Evanston:

We are actually also considering it for this summer so look forward to knowing more about it. Caryl, we're also doing UP/Lake Superior late July/early August.

Tom, and Frank
Tom,Frank and Caryl

I am not certain about our time frame but when you determine your schedule perhaps we could consider a 3 member caravan.
Allen
Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
Tom,Frank and Caryl

I am not certain about our time frame but when you determine your schedule perhaps we could consider a 3 member caravan.
Allen
Looks like we are all staying close to home--at least for this trip. Yes, a caravan or mini-rally would be delightful. We have reservations at Ft. Wilkins Historical State Park from July 13-16 and Tahquamenon Falls State Park from July 17 - 23. Have not yet figured out the rest of the trip or how long we will be out or exactly what the route will be. I have never been to the UP and have a long list of things I want to see and do. Jerry and I are open to ideas.

Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Have taken that ferry many times, both ways, on foot, on motorcycle, with car, but neer with AS. A lot depends on what you're doing and what is your schedule. You won't save much time or any money, but it's a fun trip, especially if the weather is nice and you can spend time on deck. On the other hand, if you were headed to northern Mich., the drive through the U.P. is lovely.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

We're going to leave Chicago roughly on the 21st of July and Door County a day or two after that to head north -- thought we'd do the Superior and UP stuff then head to Mackinac City, which is sort of fun (nice campground). My mother, who will be traveling with us in her Class C motorhome, recommends Indian Lake in the UP and a campground that's there and right on the lake.

That's as far as our plans have evolved... and yes, Caryl, for a variety of reasons this amounts to staying close to home this year... we have canceled our northern Rockies trip to do this.

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up Thumbs up for the Badger

We have taken the Badger from Manitowoc to Ludington and vice versa with our Airstream several times. Our three dogs have to stay in the trailer but it doesn't seem to bother them as they are in familiar surroundings.

If traveling in hot weather you might want to consider the evening crossing to keep the dogs cool, although we have found that it is fairly cool out on the lake even in hot weather. And the car deck is enclosed, so the trailer is unlikely to be in the sun for long.

Also, be aware that you leave your rig in the parking lot and the crew drives it aboard, but believe me, they are very good at it.

Bon Voyage,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Perhaps you could leave the Fantasitc Fan on so your pups can stay cool, or at least well-ventilated... Sounds like a fun trip to make!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
About the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK View Post
We're going to leave Chicago roughly on the 21st of July and Door County a day or two after that to head north -- thought we'd do the Superior and UP stuff then head to Mackinac City, which is sort of fun (nice campground). My mother, who will be traveling with us in her Class C motorhome, recommends Indian Lake in the UP and a campground that's there and right on the lake.

That's as far as our plans have evolved... and yes, Caryl, for a variety of reasons this amounts to staying close to home this year... we have canceled our northern Rockies trip to do this.

Tom
We also will be doing about the same trip at possibly the same time. We can not exactly determine the dates until we find out when our daughter andnew grandson will be visiting. Will keep everyone informed in the event we might go together.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
On a ferry

Here we are going across Lake Champlain last summer. Our friends and fellow airstreamers MM&MM took the picture.

Have fun.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	61745