Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Trailer washing while traveling

We travel south to Florida from Michigan in February and return in March each year. The roads are always a mess going south and finding a car wash is difficult. That is, one that will accommodate a truck and 23' trailer. When I find one high enough there often isn't room to maneuver in and out of the wash bay. I can not imagine a longer trailer and I have no idea what people with 5th wheel trailers do or motorhomes. Has anyone use a truckwash normally used by semi's?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I have used the Blue Beacon wash on I-10 near PHX, they did fine for not a lot of money. Chain washes, associated with truck stop, many locations, (5 or 6 in IN, for instance). . . hope this helps, ( local guys charge between $8 & $14 per foot !). . travel safe, Craig

Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Blue Beacon does an excellent job, and there is a thread somewhere here on it.

They also have an app for locations and services at each,

Maggie
Old 03-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I have only used truck washes when having my Interstate washed. The best by far has been Blue Beacon with Rain-X after wash to keep that water rolling off. I do squeegee the windows myself and use a microfiber cloth to dry where I can reach.
Pay 25.00 to 30.00 as it is a Sprinter van on their price sheet. It's the only way to start and end a journey----clean and shiny. AEW
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
High Springs , Florida
I used a truck wash for my fifth wheel and truck upon return to the lower 48 from an Alaska adventure. They don't come much cheaper than me, by necessity in my defense, and it was money well spent. They did a fantastic job. Portland OR, fyi.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Another vote for Blue Beacon. I just remind them that it's got a clear coat, no citrus, harsh detergents, no scrubbing with brushes. Especially after salted roads or time at the beach, it really adds to my peace of mind to have the undercarriage washed.

Every BB I have been to has had courteous people who followed my directions. I do, however, get out and watch carefully...!

Ditto about the Rain-x and the tending to windows personally afterward. Tip: Try to avoid busy times for truckers or be patient about having to wait in line. Sometimes I call ahead to one on my route to find out best timing. I use the app but it's not as accurate as I'd like.

Good luck, and fun travels!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been very happy with using Blue Beacon a couple of times on the road. Very convenient to use at a reasonable price. Just drive right in and out. Unfortunetly there is not one in my local area.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Blue Beacon - I also carry two Micro Fiber washing mitts on long handles along with a detergent I use and I ask them to use both - no problem they do it and like Scooter241 I "supervise".
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
We have used Blue Beacon, but with items traveling in the truck bed, is not always practical. The car washes can be challenging, but I have found high bays, and as long as there aren't people detailing in the middle of the exit area, I can get my 30 ft to swing the corner to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
My son uses Blue beacon a lot and the clearances are more than ample because a semi is much taller than AS, also in & out should be no prob. as semis are in the neighbor hood of 60 65 ft. long & cannot turn like AS & tow vehicle. All BB I have been to with him are strait pull in & out with out any jockeying. [Caveat], They all use recycled water and some have acid residue in water
Old 03-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A little acid is not too bad for aluminum. We routinely used very diluted acid in water to neutralize alkaline dust on aluminum window frames around Southern California. It's the alkaline dust plus a little moisture that's really bad for aluminum

Ironically, alkalis in concrete are what preserves steel reinforcement bars. Go figure.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Cool trailer washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
A little acid is not too bad for aluminum. We routinely used very diluted acid in water to neutralize alkaline dust on aluminum window frames around Southern California. It's the alkaline dust plus a little moisture that's really bad for aluminum

Ironically, alkalis in concrete are what preserves steel reinforcement bars. Go figure.

But acid leaves shiny aluminum a dullness and if left to long turns some whitish, it has happened to me with my racing motorcycles. Bill
Old 03-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Socorro, New Mexico $2.00 wash cycles for trailers

Going South on I-25, the last exit into Socorro, New Mexico has a car wash. The car wash is on the West side of the highway as you exit, which also takes you into Socorro. Do not use the gas station just south on the east side as I recall a drop where you could drag your bumper.

You can also get gas on the first exit into town, drive south to catch the car wash and drive straight onto the Interstate 25. Almost like a wash and blow dry for free.

The stall on the south side is for large trucks. There are steps up to a walkway so you can wash the top of your trailer, which is a rarity. It might be $2.00 for 6 minutes. Whatever the cost it is well worth it.

The rinse had been warm water the last time we were there. High pressure.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Trailer washing while traveling

Current 'clear coat' or whatever it is is a non-issue. On a highly polished bare aluminum AS, yeah I can see that's an issue. We mostly did a light acid was on anodized aluminum window frames. Very light acidity. Maybe a 1/8 cup or less in 10-16 gallons of water was what we used. YMMV.

Mine is a 2007, stored in California desert dust. A bit of vinegar will help neutralize the dust when I finally get around to washing it. Topically once a year wether it needs it or not. 😄😄😄

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote