Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Trailer Security on the Road

Hi,

Newbie here...picking up my Airstream in mid-November and doing a little research/survey on any issues/suggestions other Airstreamers may have regarding the security of their Airstream when they are out and about.

For example, when you are unhitched in a campground or boondocking somewhere, is there a way to secure the trailer so that someone cannot come along, hitch it up and drive off with it!

Or say you're en route and pull over and for some reason have to leave your vehicle/trailer unattended...once hitched...is there a key lock or some other secure mechanism which would prevent someone coming along and unhitching?

Am I being paranoid? Just curious what precautions experienced Airstreamers take (if any) in these situations.

Thanks,

John
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
There are lock kits (avail at Walmart) that have a same key lock for both the stinger and the ball dog. I'd get the better quality one, usually more $ and use them regularly. As a safety measure keep a spare key in both the tug and the trailer.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think on the road and while using your Airstream you should be fine. There was some reports at times of pranksters pulling out hitch pins when folks were parked at some restaurants, but I haven't heard of that lately. I've had one situation at one of the big campgrounds in Myrtle Beach where my wheel chocks and bumper caps were stolen from my SOB when we were away.

Personally where you need security might be more of where you park your trailer when it isn't in use vs. on the road. Again, not much in regards to stealing trailers but more of break in's to steal contents. Especially susceptible are the motor homes that usually have a lot of storage and high end electronics.

The best protection against trailer thievery is most likely a wheel boot. Here's a link to a thread on that topic. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ot-101963.html

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Trailer theft is not common, but it does happen. And you can take some steps to minimize the potential of becoming a victim.

When a trailer is parked and unhitched, it is common to use a coupler lock of some sort. There are several discussions of coupler locks and models here on the forums. Of course the stronger, the better.

Some go a step further and use wheel locks similar to those used by police departments to "boot" a vehicle.

While the trailer is hitched to your a vehicle, it is possible to lock the coupler so that it can't be disengaged easily.

All this having been said, no lock will keep the driven thief from having his way, but you can make it difficult for him...and that is your best deterrent. It's best to take some preventative steps so that you are not an easy mark.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I carry a long length of stainless steel chain and a padlock. If I'm in an area I'm not totally comfortable with I will string it between the wheels ( 2 axle). I would make it conspicuous enough so it's easily noticed so I ( or anyone else ) doesn't drive off and make a mess of things. We've never been in a situation where I wanted to use it. Certainly not in any campgrounds we've used but perhaps maybe in a remote boondocks location. In reality if someone comes prepared you're not gonna prevent them from taking it. Just hope to keep an honest thief honest.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
It's all about risk, although in the real world the risk isn't that great. As TBRich says, you should aim to make potential thievery more difficult, but if someone is really determined then they'll probably succeed whatever you do to stop them.

At home I lock the coupler and normally have a vehicle parked in front of the trailer. When camping I usually keep the door locked when I'm away from the trailer, even for a short while, and I lock my wheel x-chocks in position, too; that won't stop the trailer being stolen but it makes it less likely that the chocks themselves will get stolen.

On campgrounds, most people are pretty good and will look out for each other. The only commonly stolen items that I've heard about are coolers, particularly those that contain beer.

Other than that, it's just general security; the sort that you might carry out at home or with your car.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
https://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
Thanks everyone for the advice everyone...I think a few of those options will work for me
Ljsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The thing is, while trailers are expensive, they don't represent much value for a thief. It's highly unlikely that somebody would steal a trailer and keep it for personal use, the risk would just be too big.

Cars are easily stolen and easily sold, a much smaller risk.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

If I feel the need I will "chain" the wheels, padlock behind with chain wrapped around one axle.

Plus I think the Hensley is a bit of a deterrent...."what the hell is this thing!!"

Bob
Old 09-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I use a coupler lock padlock and a keyed lock (not exactly what we have, but close) on the hitch draw bar when I know we'll be stopping at rest areas, staying overnight without unhooking, etc. The padlock is the only coupler lock I have, so I use it when the camper is sitting at home, at a campsite, etc., too.

Aside from that, theft is so rare, I don't worry much about it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
If you have an X- Chock that is placed between the tandem wheels, there is a place on the jack screw wheel where you can place a padlock. It will help from stealing the trailer and the X- Chock
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote