Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Texting while driving a train did not work out well either.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
On rural stretches of the interstate (in the eastern US) drivers are mostly well behaved and the state police do a pretty good job monitoring and enforcing traffic laws. As you approach an urban area driving conditions become insane. Incredible reckless driving behavior by many and a general white knuckle driving experience with almost no police presence / enforcement. Why do local and state police departments appear to refuse to attempt to enforce traffic laws on urban interstate highways?
The situation varies widely from state to state and region to region.

In Minnesota there is overall very little daytime law enforcement presence on rural and metro area freeways alike because DUI enforcement on nights and weekends is considered a higher priority by the powers that be. Local police in cities that include freeway segments have the jurisdiction to enforce traffic laws on the freeway, and some do while most don't.

Quote:
The one exception I have noted in my experience was the Milwaukee area about 6 years ago. I spent a year working in Milwaukee and at the time law enforcement was very active on the urban interstate highways. At that time driving in Milwaukee was very pleasant. On a recent trip to Milwaukee police were not active on the highways and driving conditions had become similar to the rest of the eastern US.
Milwaukee's police department has enjoyed a long reputation as being one of the best nationwide.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
These posts seem to mostly be from the Right Coast. It's as if you're talking about another planet as compared to driving on the Other Coast. Here's an example of what I mean.

A couple years ago I was driving a capable older Porsche to a track event in the San Francisco area. I was driving on a freeway cutting over to the coast from I-5 that had 5-6 lanes on each side. Surrounded by cars I was doing 80 or so to stay with the flow of traffic. Cars everywhere, pretty curvy for such a wide freeway, I was a little anxious and paying full attention to my driving.

The lane on my left had a flow of perhaps 90 mph. Everything too fast for a country boy from Oregon, but so far so good. Then it happened. I looked over and one of cars in the 90 mph lane was being driven by a teenage girl who was bending over to look in the rearview mirror while applying eye makeup. Car in front of her doing 90, car behind her doing 90, she was doing 90. Around a curve!

Probably an everyday occurence for them. Makes the racetrack feel safe.

Be Safe,
Poppy
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Just returned from a 2,400 mile trip from NC to MN and points in between (also a stop at JC). I saw more police presence in Ohio than any other state. (Oh, that means people being pulled over and ticketed.) Living in Europe for 7 years, I do wonder why we can't use the left lane as a passing lane ONLY (unless lots of traffic or metro areas). If you hog the left lane in Germany you get a ticket. Of course, a Porsche, BMW, or M-B would have blown you over before the Polizei got you. I live in NC now, but (and this may sound like BS), the most courteous drivers I ever encountered were in So Cal. It is very much "cooperate" on the freeways. I drove I-5 in the San Diego area every morning and did not see the rudeness I see every day on I-40 in NC.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I live in NC now, but (and this may sound like BS), the most courteous drivers I ever encountered were in So Cal.
Actually, I find Texas drivers to be generally courteous. If you signal a lane change, for example, they will leave plenty of space for you to do it. But on the other hand, if you try to change lanes without signalling, forget it! You couldn't squeeze in with a shoehorn.

It's exactly the reverse in Louisiana. Here, if you signal a lane change, the guy behind you will change lanes first and cut you off, but if you change lanes without signalling, you stand a better chance of accomplishing the maneuver.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
a few thoughts

1. you are towing an AS - slow down and enjoy the trip
2. never try to match the traffic speed around you. if the limit is 60 and everyone is going 75 - good for them. there will always be faster drivers. 3.you are better off going 5-10 mph slower and lettng the crazy people go around you
4. i don't feel AS are meant to go faster than 65 mph - bad for the AS and harder overall to maintain control
5. if at all possible, stay out of the speed lane - too dangerous!
6. on a 2-lanes keep right. on a 3-lane, try to stay in the middle. too many idiots in the speed lane. too many people coming in on the on-ramps.
6. the people in back of you will eventually go around you
7. follow the traffic rules - the police are vastly outnumbered by the crazy drivers.
8. safe travels

FCU WBCCI #1601
I Donít Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Natchitoches , Louisiana
I manage a sheriff's office with 70 miles of interstate in our jurisdiction. We frequently do special speed enforcement operations to try to get people to slow down. Hasn't made much of an impact so far. On the other hand, when I used to work in a very congested urban setting in the Northeast we frequently had to call off active pursuits due to the safety issues already commented on by other posters. Our biggest traffic events always involved DWI stops or serious injury crashes. Now it is texting and inattention while on the phone. And DWI is still very common, especially on weekends and late hours, as one would expect.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This gives me a chance to ask a question I've always wondered about: I usually drive pretty close to the speed limit, and a pack of cars will approach from behind, overtake, and then it will be clear sailing again for a bit until the next pack comes along. What is up with that?

Personally, I think the problem is that in America we believe driving is a right, when really it's a privilege, and people should treat it as such.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post
I manage a sheriff's office with 70 miles of interstate in our jurisdiction. We frequently do special speed enforcement operations to try to get people to slow down. Hasn't made much of an impact so far. On the other hand, when I used to work in a very congested urban setting in the Northeast we frequently had to call off active pursuits due to the safety issues already commented on by other posters. Our biggest traffic events always involved DWI stops or serious injury crashes. Now it is texting and inattention while on the phone. And DWI is still very common, especially on weekends and late hours, as one would expect.
My best friend, of many - many years, was recently killed by a drunk driver who ran a traffic light and broadsided my friend while driving his Chevy Impala in Lafayette LA. The killer had a history of DWI's, and a revoked driver's license because of his DWI's. I think this is the event that has made me very sensitive in general about reckless drivers.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
All of the traffic menaces are basically self-centered, rude, disrespectful, don't think or consider the consequences of their actions.
Selfishness is the root.
They just haven't figured it out yet.
Always running late.
We all take off at the light. Everyone else zooms around me. Where are they at the next light? Right there with me. Repeat.
They don't seem to care or understand that larger vehicles require greater stopping distances and change lanes a few inches ahead of your front bumper while riding brakes.
Or they pass you just in time to slow for a turn.
Just don't care about anything and are terribly inconsiderate of others.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When driving the trailer, one gets a much better appreciation of what the truck drivers put up with out there.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
When driving the trailer, one gets a much better appreciation of what the truck drivers put up with out there.
I think as a requirement to get a license you should have to be able to tow a trailer safely and pass a backing up with a trailer test without anyone helping you. People might think about how they drive.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #27
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
What are you trying to do? Wreck our business or something? That would eliminate half of our customers!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
I think as a requirement to get a license you should have to be able to tow a trailer safely and pass a backing up with a trailer test without anyone helping you. People might think about how they drive.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
What are you trying to do? Wreck our business or something? That would eliminate half of our customers!

Lynn
Not just airstream but any trailer. It kills me to go to the lake and sit there and watch someone take 15 min to back down a 50ft boat ramp. But hey if you can drive forward you need to be able to back up as well. It really is not that hard people.Still think it should be a requirement.