Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
TPMS to the Rescue!

It's not the Marathon's fault, I swear! Today, tooling along at 65 on I-82 in Washington, our TPMS went bonkers showing the pressure on the right rear trailer tire dropping fast. By the time we pulled over it was down to 23psi. I assumed one of my 4YO Marathon's had suffered a blowout as one of my winter projects is to replace them all for prevention of such an event. However, it turns out we picked up some sharp metal that sliced cleanly through the tread.

Not having practiced this in my driveway I was pleased that it took only 30 minutes from start to finish to get the front tire up on blocks, remove the flat, drop the spare and install it and finally be back on the road again.

We stopped at the next Les Schwab in Sunnyside, WA where they repaired the tire, remounted it, checked it for leaks and reinstalled it on the trailer in another quick 30 minutes. All for free and with a smile! Les Schwab in Sunnyside rocks big time!

Lessons learned:
1) TPMS quickly alerted us to the flat, possibly saving thou$ands in damage if we had continued driving on the flat.(Thanks Ryan Lex)
2) If you haven't practiced changing a tire, at least read through the instructions and make sure you understand every step. We had a sunny afternoon today. Had it been a rainy night, getting Everything done might have been harder.
3) Make sure you have enough blocks to get the second tire off the ground.
4) Thankfully I had a long breaker bar which made quick work of loosening the lug nuts. (Maybe I should have a torque wrench to keep from over-tightening the lug nuts)
5) It's not that hard if you have the right tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4780.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	295247  
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I keep both a breaker and a torque wrench for this purpose. Been thinking about TPMS and this gives me more encouragement to pony up.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
I've certainly experienced the joy of a flat and I've intended to add the TPMS with a system that uses an APP on the Iphone. Glad it went well and that you accomplished the task in record time. When it happens you kind of groan and get on with it!
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Appreciate you sharing this experience. We're at the point of making this decision for our tires. We'll be adding these to the GY Endurance install--too many other priorities for me to do the 16" Michelins this time. Seems like cheap insurance to monitor them via TPMS.

Did you get an Endurance to replace the Marathon? And have you settled on what you're replacing yours with this winter?

Thanks again!!!
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Nice to hear all went well. TPMS are worth the money. I understand time wear was not the cause of the flat but yes you are about do for a new set of tires.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Les Schwab excels at customer service, truly. I have had them fix flats for me several times, with no charge...and each time they had to fully remove the tire from the wheel. It is just too bad they carry only crap tires, and that they are such a large player in off-shoring tire manufacturing to the lowest contract bidder.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Another proponent of TPMS ... pick your brand. We have been using PressurePros for 10 years. They will not sudden catastrophic failures like a blowout, but they will save your bacon when you develop a leak bad enough to lose pressure in motion. Ours have saved us going to a complete flat and potential shredding (=potential damage) twice in those 10 years. It's like any other form of "insurance" ... feels like a waste of money ... until it isn't.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Florence , Alabama
Any recommendations for a specific TPMS setup?
losfeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I've used Pressure Pro for several years.

Saved us once when we had a slow leak. Able to get to a tire store for a quick wheel replacement.

Wouldn't be without TPMS, especially with a single axle trailer.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
Did you get an Endurance to replace the Marathon? And have you settled on what you're replacing yours with this winter?

Thanks again!!!
Dave, the tire guy didn't know if he could fix it until he saw the inside. After pulling the tire off he determined it could be fixed so we didn't have to buy one on the fly. Unfortunately Les Schwab doesn't carry Goodyear and we will go with the new Endurance tire so we would have had to find a local Discount Tire to get a replacement. If they carried Goodyear I think we would have bought four right on the spot since it's already in our winter plans. I think it's important to get your tires from a national chain so if you have a problem on the road you can get service quickly and conveniently. I would consider Costco but they don't normally stock trailer tires so anywhere we had problems, they would have to order them - and the local Costcos won't deal with tires while mounted on the trailer so for me they are out of the running.

I don't have any comparison to other TPMS systems. The EEZTire system works well but occasionally loses connection with the senders which I don't know if it's common with other systems. It's easy to reestablish connection. Generally not a big problem except for once when we lost readings from both rear tires at the same time so I finally pulled over to see if I had lost the whole axel along the way. Somewhat comical but curiosity got the best of me.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
TPMS to the Rescue

I have used the TST TPMS 507 cap kit for my 25-foot FC and it works well and is pretty easy to set up. I would highly recommend it.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Is everyone that has TPMS using all steel tire valves. Mine are only part steel.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperrym View Post
Is everyone that has TPMS using all steel tire valves. Mine are only part steel.

Rick
Either all steel or all brass, except for the sealing washer.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I use Tire Tracker TT500 on our '99 30' Airstream Land Yacht motor home. Easy to set up, as are most brands, and very happy with our choice. This product sems to be the TPMS of choice for Roger Marble, of RV Tire Safety blog.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Happy TST with steel valves user for the past 3 plus years. Last month I was alerted to a slow leak before any damage was done. Culprit was a roofing nail. Picked up somewhere around Pensacola. It made a confirmed believer out of me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
On the last trip we had (Texas to Mich.) I got an alert on my phone 15 minutes from our home on the way out. I had checked the tires before we pulled out so I didn’t believe what it was telling me. But I could see the pressure getting lower and lower so I turned back towards our DIscount Tire store. Sure enough there was a nail in the tire. I had hazard insurance on the tires so 1 hour later we were back on the road with a new tire.

We got the TPMS from Rand McNally.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
I keep both a breaker and a torque wrench for this purpose. Been thinking about TPMS and this gives me more encouragement to pony up.
LARA;
Add me to the list of: "Me Too! Me too!"

For over ten years of RVing, I have NEVER had a flat; relying on those little valve caps that show a red band when pressure is low. That could be spotted on your walk around.

Then last May, I bit the bullet, and purchased a Tire Minder TPMS. ($400+ with taxes.)
Heading off to a rally in June, I installed the 'gizmo' and took off for the weekend.
While on 'The 401' at 100 KPH; Within one hour, the TPM started beeping and telling of a low tire.
I had picked up a screw in the tire, R/H aft.
A call to 'Coach Net' brought a local service guy to change the tire, and get me on my way.
That little $400+ monitor just saved me several thousand dollars in repairs.

YAH! Get A TPMS! There a quite a number of members in this Forum who will confirm what I say.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
http://www.minderresearch.com/
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Also - Get a Trailer Aid! Makes short work of getting the wheel off the ground! When I upgraded to Michelins I made the tire dealer use the Trailer Aid as they were very unsure of where to jack even though I told them. Took a bit longer for all four but worth it!

Also have a TST 507 TPMS with pass through sensors. Very nice system.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Peace of mind

I installed the tst 507 and really like them. Have been quite a few miles with no issues. One thing is when you have a tire monitor you don't have to check the air pressures with a gauge prior to departure - just turn on your monitor before you head out. Saves some time.
With the TST 507 you get temperatures which could give you a heads up if the wheel bearings are getting hot.
A real peace of mind tool.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote