Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
TPMS or Compressor? 3,000 mile trip

Hello,

We are a few weeks away from our first long trip with our AS. We are heading from California to MN and back. 10 days total, so we will be driving a lot.

If you were headed out on this trip, would you rather have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) or a 12v compressor? In what order would you purchase them? I don't want to spend more than $200 on equipment right now, so should I just go cheap with both to have them both? Or buy better products and just wait on the one?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
yukon , Oklahoma
TPMS is mainly to monitor tires for low pressure or temperature. Hopefully to catch something before a major issue. The compressor would be used to maintain the correct tire pressure. Really need both but IMHO if I was choosing which to buy first it would be the TPMS.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
The Tin Man

2017 27' International
SoCal , California
I most definitely would not go out without a compressor. TPMS is nice but proper tire pressure is essential to the success of any trip.
WBCC #4913
sandollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
IMO I would definitely go with the compressor and a good tire gauge. I have the TPMS and no longer use them. I always check my tire before leaving on a long trip and each time we stop. I am not saying that TPMS are not useful, however, a compressor has multiple uses to include pumping up bike tires inner tubes for tubing, even blowing out dirt from hard to get places.

I do not recommend going cheap especially since you have a 70 to 80 thousand dollar AS. I would strongly recommend you purchase the best you can afford and remember that over time you will forget the price but not the quality of the item you purchased.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B68XGC...=2J0MYWOCP5W9P
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
On a 10 day trip with an almost new Airstream you won't need either one. I think Airstream (the most stable travel trailer on the market) TPMS is a waste of money, save it and invest it on better tires in two years or so if you don't trust the ones you have.

Put the back of your hand on the tires at fuel stops to see if one is unusually hot, as well as the wheel hub. The sunny side will be warmer than the shady side. That's how we have toured the country 6-7 months a year for the past 8 years (two new Airstreams in that period).

We eventually bought a compressor as a general purpose tool. Our original GY Marathons lost almost no air pressure in the two years we used them, the Michelins we replaced them with never lost any measurable pressure.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Based on the amount of money you're willing to spend at this point, I think I'd go with a compressor and then save up for a good quality TPMS.

I'm a little surprised, however, at the comments about TPMS not being worthwhile. As they say in the financial world, past performance isn't a guarantee of future returns, and the fact that someone hasn't experienced a tire failure yet doesn't mean it can't happen. It's important to check tire condition and pressures between driving stints but it's still possible that a relatively sudden loss of pressure from a road hazard or other event could occur while towing with potentially catastrophic results. A TPMS can help give you the warning you need to avoid that, IMHO.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My recommendation would be to get both, but you may not be able to find a TPMS alone for $200. If you can only get one, get a compressor, but start saving for a TPMS.

When I upsized my tires right after I bought my trailer, I bought a Dill TPMS and an inexpensive 12V compressor that I use occasionally to add a couple of psi to trailer or TV tires. The Dill TPMS uses in wheel sensors, so they give better temperature readings, but it is expensive at battery replacement time as the batteries are not replaceable; you have to buy new sensors. When I have to do that, I may opt for a different unit, but probably not as the more accurate internal temperature monitor can give you quick notice about a dragging brake or failing wheel bearing.

My TPMS saved me from potential trailer damage when I ran over some accident debris on a narrow exit ramp and punctured a tire. While I knew that this happened, I have also punctured tires and not known about it until much later. On a tandem axle trailer, you may not know you have a problem until someone passes you honking and pointing down.

When I went to change the tire, I had forgotten to check the pressure in the spare when I left home, so I had to add air. Luckily I had both a TPMS and a compressor.

I suppose I could have pulled over and checked the tires after the exit ramp incident, but I would have had to do it at the first available exit, which is the one I pulled off on right after the TPMS went off. I would not have known about it without the TPMS and it was a long way to the next exit. I would have been changing the roadside tire on the side of the road, a dangerous undertaking on I-285 in Atlanta if not everywhere.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
IMHO, TPMS tells you you have a problem, and can't fix it without a compressor......a tire gauge and frequent tire inspections with an on-board compressor will solve problems BEFORE they appear.

TPMS shouldn't be used as an excuse NOT to check your tires.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a decent compressor now and get the TPMS next.

I'm sure if I have a failure I'd wish I had both, but for now the compressor will also serve for bike tires and TV tire so it seems to make more sense.

I appreciate the suggestions for checking temperature of hubs as well as the tires. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

I won't get into whether the TPMS or the compressor is worth getting. Your call, but do your research and go for the best you can.

I would, however, second some of the advice and carry with you (and use) a good tire gauge. You can also watch your tires while driving so you can see unusual motion. I got used to doing that when I went through a batch of GYM on our boat trailer (dual axle thank god!). The bubble would start and the tire (fender) would start bouncing: I knew what was about to happen. Like another mentioned, I also check the tires and hubs everytime I stop. It's not only a chance to monitor the trailer, but gives me a chance to move around and stretch. I make it a point of stopping soon after starting a trip just to check the trailer, but more importantly the tires.

We just returned from our first long trip and it was such a great experience. I hope you have a great trip. Safe Travels
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #12
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Both. The fact is we are all lazy and eventually will stop checking pressures every morning. TPMS automated that process and makes it so it's clear when you are low on air. And when you are, you need a compressors to top off the tire.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Good tire gauge (as was said above).

TPMS.

Bicycle pump instead of compressor. (make sure it has the right valve type on it, your tires have schrader valves). It's more convenient than a compressor (no stringing wires or hoses around or worrying if they are long enough). Just 25 strokes gets me 2 psi in my trailer tires. I don't find that onerous.

Your need for a pump or compressor will be for a (rare) top-off of pressure, such as if you adjust pressure in Phoenix when it's 100 degrees and then drive to Alaska. Unless you have tire repair skills and a tire repair kit, you don't need to plan on inflating a tire from zero.

Remember to check the pressure on your spares before you head out.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Central Texas to Minnesota and back...last year.
Central Texas to Big Bend Park to the Texas Coast and back...

TPMS. And air compressor.

TPMS, for me, was simple to install and on long trips like Big Bend where there was some heat... it is an excellent watchdog. You can watch pressure, temperature... updated regularly. On our system, I have hi-lo temp and pressure triggers... cross any and the alarm sounds.. and flashes the reporting tire.

Checking pressures at start of each day is excellent! I turn on the TPMS MONITOR, walk around the AS and do visual check...(this is a repeat of what I do when we land for the night. Also when stopped for a stretch... ) All the while the TPMS is watchdogging...

The Air compressor is also a "must". I am replacing air, not inflating a monster truck tire.. so, the Vair... is awesome.. but tedious on my 34'... the cables aren't long enough and the 15 amp fuse takes a hike.. so, I also bought a small "emergency jump" battery. Carry it with the Air compressor to each tire...

So, TPMS for monitor of pressure/temp status and compressor to add air even if you start losing air during the day..

Then you will have done about best you can to prep in that area... besides, even new tires get flats... if you know it is happening you can try to stop before it destroys your wheel well.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Central Texas to Minnesota and back...last year.
Central Texas to Big Bend Park to the Texas Coast and back...

TPMS. And air compressor.

TPMS, for me, was simple to install and on long trips like Big Bend where there was some heat... it is an excellent watchdog. You can watch pressure, temperature... updated regularly. On our system, I have hi-lo temp and pressure triggers... cross any and the alarm sounds.. and flashes the reporting tire.

Checking pressures at start of each day is excellent! I turn on the TPMS MONITOR, walk around the AS and do visual check...(this is a repeat of what I do when we land for the night. Also when stopped for a stretch... ) All the while the TPMS is watchdogging...

The Air compressor is also a "must". I am replacing air, not inflating a monster truck tire.. so, the Vair... is awesome.. but tedious on my 34'... the cables aren't long enough and the 15 amp fuse takes a hike.. so, I also bought a small "emergency jump" battery. Carry it with the Air compressor to each tire...

So, TPMS for monitor of pressure/temp status and compressor to add air even if you start losing air during the day..

Then you will have done about best you can to prep in that area... besides, even new tires get flats... if you know it is happening you can try to stop before it destroys your wheel well.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I think you are foolish not to have the TPMS and a compressor. I don't care what kind of tires you have, trailer tires are very problematic. If there is anything in the road, the TV has 2 chances to flip it over so it is waiting for the trailer tires. I have fixed a lot of flats in my 40 years of working on cars. Almost always, the flat was on the rear and most likely the right rear. Most of the trash on the road is either in the center of the lane or close to the shoulder. Another reason motorcyclists should not ride in the center of the lane.

I agree with the importance of closely monitoring tire pressures and condition, but that nail or piece of scrap metal won't ask the tire if it is properly inflated. And by the time you realize there is a problem without TPMS, the damage is already done and most likely expensive damage.

If you buy a 12v compressor, try it out before the trip. To say that most of them are anemic would be an understatement. Inflating a tire to 80 psi is usually asking too much if you want it done today.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
I think you are foolish not to have the TPMS and a compressor.
I've certainly been called that for better reasons 😉.

We have a budget. It's not that I can't buy both, it's that I have not budgeted both. There's only so much that I can spend on the trailer before my wife gets 😡. But please, keep the experience coming, my case is getting stronger!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post

If you buy a 12v compressor, try it out before the trip. To say that most of them are anemic would be an understatement. Inflating a tire to 80 psi is usually asking too much if you want it done today.
The compressor is was looking at is the Viair 300. Is this one you would recommend?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I've certainly been called that for better reasons [emoji6].

We have a budget. It's not that I can't buy both, it's that I have not budgeted both. There's only so much that I can spend on the trailer before my wife gets [emoji35]. But please, keep the experience coming, my case is getting stronger!

If I bought just one it would be TPMS. Fast leaks are trouble all around and you're gonna need help anyway. Slow leaks and low pressure you can address when you get gas.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
I believe mine is a Viair 400RV. An awesome 12v compressor for pumping the tires on the AS, bicycle tires, and blowing out the water system. Best part is that the price is down about $100 less than a year ago on amazon. It's the best one out there. Love mine!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote