Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I would not recommend that compressor. Their info on Amazon shows 2.4cfm at 0 PSI and their chart only shows inflation times to 30 psi. You want one with about 2.0 cfm at 100 psi, not at zero. I ended up buying a small 120 v Dewalt compressor that I plug in to the outside outlet when on shore power. So far, I have not tried it on converter power or off the 120 v plug in my truck. I always make sure my spares are properly inflated to handle the roadside issues.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
I believe mine is a Viair 400RV. An awesome 12v compressor for pumping the tires on the AS, bicycle tires, and blowing out the water system. Best part is that the price is down about $100 less than a year ago on amazon. It's the best one out there. Love mine!

Here's the link to the Viair:
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-40047-A...=viair+450p-rv
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I wouldn't recommend either the 300 0r 400. Something like the Puma Twin Tank 12 Volt 2 Gallon Oil-Less Air Compressor /ITEM NO#8Y-IFW81854283867 might be an option. It is 3.0cfm at 90psi or something like that. If those numbers are accurate, it would be a very nice unit.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I've certainly been called that for better reasons 😉.

We have a budget. It's not that I can't buy both, it's that I have not budgeted both. There's only so much that I can spend on the trailer before my wife gets 😡. But please, keep the experience coming, my case is getting stronger!
Save your money towards better tires sometime in the future. If you have a sudden failure (blowout) the TPMS tells you it happened and the damage is already done to your trailer. Then you can add the cost of your insurance deductible to the cost of TPMS. The way to avoid this is high quality tires, the chance of a sudden failure is almost zero.

The "what if's" don't justify it.

In years of extensive travel we never check tire pressure on the trip. If the pressure is low (unlikely) you will see it and feel the warmer tire at a fuel stop. Continuous messing with the tire valves to check pressure is inviting trouble. Adding TPMS senders to the tire valves makes a simple design more complicated and prone to trouble.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Save your money towards better tires sometime in the future. If you have a sudden failure (blowout) the TPMS tells you it happened and the damage is already done to your trailer. Then you can add the cost of your insurance deductible to the cost of TPMS. The way to avoid this is high quality tires, the chance of a sudden failure is almost zero.

The "what if's" don't justify it.

In years of extensive travel we never check tire pressure on the trip. If the pressure is low (unlikely) you will see it and feel the warmer tire at a fuel stop. Continuous messing with the tire valves to check pressure is inviting trouble. Adding TPMS senders to the tire valves makes a simple design more complicated and prone to trouble.
I know you have a lot of experience Doug, so I appreciate your input. I have the tires that came with our trailer, which I believe are the GYM?

I had a Nissan Titan that warned me of a tire pressure issue that allowed me to get off the interstate (shoulder) before it was totally flat. I may be wrong, but it seems that a tire would deflate, roll around a bit, then shred the sidewalls, and then damage the trailer. Thoughts?

Btw, this discussion has been very helpful. Thank you to all who have participated.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
I wouldn't recommend either the 300 0r 400. Something like the Puma Twin Tank 12 Volt 2 Gallon Oil-Less Air Compressor /ITEM NO#8Y-IFW81854283867 might be an option. It is 3.0cfm at 90psi or something like that. If those numbers are accurate, it would be a very nice unit.
Thanks B, I might end up just bringing my trusty PorterCable pancake compressor and see how that fairs with the AS inverter hasn't let me down yet! Of course I would charge it before leaving
Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Thanks B, I might end up just bringing my trusty PorterCable pancake compressor and see how that fairs with the AS inverter hasn't let me down yet! Of course I would charge it before leaving
We got a small compressor for our bicycles that travel with us because I'm older and tired of the hand pump, never needed it for the Airstreams.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
We have a new trailer and are on day 19 of a 40 day trip East to West and back again. Started out in the cool temps of Montauk NY to cooler temps of Cape Flattery WA and heading south to the desert now. Along the way we recorded our measurable information (metrics) each morning we moved the trailer. Going 4,000 +/- miles so far.

Aside from some tire trouble requiring frequent compressor use for 2 days every 1/2 hour till we got the stem repaired, we have used our compressor 5 times for 11 tire fills of 4-5 psi to reach 65psi per tire. Each time we measured cold around 8 am and recorded it.

Only once did the truck need air and the rest of the time it was the Goodyears on the AS. In review, we can tell we are losing pressure from the expensive TPMS addon dongles that the dealer installed. Moreover, as the tire pressure increases during the day from heat of day and use, the range for the TPMS alarm needed to be widened considerably.

My advice based on the above is to get a Viaar 450P as it has the ability to get the tire pressure up to 65psi unlike most cheap units, has a quality gauge, runs off 12v alligator clips and has a hose long enough to do all the tires without an issue. If you really want TPMS, I'll be happy to sell you mine. Only 4000miles or so. Can't think of a single item we've purchased that is as useless as the TPMS dongles on the trailer nor many that are as valuable as the compressor when trying to fill a low tire in the middle of South Dakota.

Oh. Do yourself a favor and get a cheap tire stem valve repair kit. One of those $6 items that can save your bacon when AAA is hours and miles away and all you need is a tighter or perhaps a replacement stem core.

If you are largely traveling on interstates and within easy availability of a service station or other outside support, ignore the above. Otherwise, I wouldn't go anywhere without a compressor, tire plug kit and valve stem kit. Been in too many lonesome places.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . I don't want to spend more than $200 on equipment right now, so should I just go cheap with both to have them both?
. . .
May I suggest that you reconsider your approach?

With a total value invested in your combined rig of over $100,000 -- and probably quite a bit higher IMO -- it is "penny wise, pound foolish" to quibble over a few hundred dollars which might save your lives or the rig.

Get both and get good quality.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Both. I run the TST system for monitoring our trailer tires and I have a compressor I carry in the truck bed. My compressor is a 110v one, however, I was at Home Depot yesterday and they have a Rigid 18v battery compressor for $199.00 that I think I'll wait to go on sail prior to our trip at the end of August and if not I'll use the 10% Veterans discount and buy it. This one simply runs on an 18v rechargeable battery and I had one of the employees run it and it can produce more than enough pressure to fill the trailer and truck tires.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . . which might save your lives . . .
That's really a stretch on the travel trailer.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
If I were you, I would stretch the budget and get both!

Money can't be that tight with a 2017 Airstream - or maybe that is why it is!

But with that kind of investment at stake and knowing how costly panel repairs can be, I do everything I can to hedge my bets against damage from a blown tire.

As some have said, having a TPMS is certainly not a 100% guarantee - you could have a sudden blow out without much advance warning in terms of dropping tire pressure (that the TPMS would warn you about.)

On the other hand, from what I have read, many blowouts are preceded by a slow leak that causes a tire to overheat - or, tire can go slowly flat and then start flying apart.

Without a TPMS, if you ave a dual axle trailer, you may well not realise what is transpiring.

As well, even if you get an instantaneous blowout without and advance warning, your TPMS will let you know right away and you can pull over - this itself "might" either eliminate or reduce trailer damage because you could otherwise drive miles with a blown out tire flailing around in the wheel well.

Apart from employing a TPMS, I always inspect the tires before setting out on any trip and every time we make a stop during a trip just to look for any signs of distress - in fact I walk around the whole rig to give it the once over - access doors loose, any signs of proble with the hitch, etc etc. It only takes a minute or two.

Apart from getting warnings of pressure / temperature from the TPMS, I like the fact that whenever I like while driving, I can use it to check the tires - gives me a little more eace of mind and makes the trip that much more enjoyable!

Safe & happy travels with your new trailer ......

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That's really a stretch on the travel trailer.
On our single axle it is more of an issue IMO.

BTW the full quote would be: " . . . might save your lives or the rig. "

The point was that the cost of these tools is very minor relative to the grand total.

Why scrimp at all?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I decided to jump in here. I have a VIAIR 450 because of the 100% duty cycle. You can fill tires without having to rest the compressor and my tires run at 80 psi. Most of the small compressors have problems with those requirements.
I am puzzled by experienced people who do not check and adjust their tires before starting out in the morning. The requirement is cold tire pressure, not pressure sometime later in the day. I have been on trips where the temperature changed enough after miles of travel and a temperature change that I needed air, before leaving the campground in the morning. This is not leakage. I would not travel without a compressor.
I added TPMS and it will only be of value the one time I need it, but I did go a few years without. I have one friend in the club that could have saved some expensive damage to his wheel well if he had TPMS when his GYM blew out. He drove a bit too far before he knew what happened.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks for all the added input! Be gotten some recommendations for a compressor, but what TPMS would those with experience suggest?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I like my Dill; the only reservation is the cost to replace the sensors when the batteries die. The sensors are internal, no stress on the valve stems, no potential for leaks, no problems with adding air, more accurate temperature measurements are all pluses that could outweigh the minus of battery replacement cost, depending on your priorities.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Okay, budget? Check.
I carried a 6 gal. pancake air compressor in my MH. It was affordable, I plugged it into AC and it could deliver 100 PSI pretty quick. I think it was a Porter Cable, but they're all similar. About $120. The downside is it's large, but not heavy.. It doesn't need a long hose because you can run an extension cord. I'll bet Craig's List has some under $100. The one pictured was a factory Outlet for $89!

Then a TPMS is about $100 if you don't need all the bells and whistles.
https://www.amazon.com/Vesafe-Univer...ler+tpms&psc=1
Throw in another ten spot for a digital pressure gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	602298.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	289780  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Speaking of budgets, tell the wife that buying the right stuff now might save thousands in repair bills if you get a blowout and destroy the wheel well and trim.

This TPMS seems to be popular.
EEZ
https://www.amazon.com/EEZTire-Tire-...itoring+system

It gets good reviews as far as reading the sensors, my only gripe is I don't want to see the outline of a semi when I have a simple trailer. They say you only see the one's mounted but the outline is always there.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Why scrimp at all?
Many on the Airstream forum don't understand this, but not everyone buys a new truck every year or makes purchases based on "Wants". Some might have to choose between school tuition and that new hitch. It's more than a dent in the 401K. (Not that you or the OP is in that boat, but I have been.)
It's too easy to say, "Just buy it".
Old 07-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Why the obsession with a big air compressor. Chances are you would never use it.
You most likely would use one once in a while to add air if you have some loss of air pressure. If you have a blow out, put on the spare and add some air if necessary.

My tires only require 50 psi so this may not apply if you have to add 80 psi to some tires that are on larger trailers.

I bought a small inflator at Costco for about $30.00 Don't want another 30 lbs and something taking up a lot of space.
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote