Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #1

Crownsville , Maryland
Toyota Sienna

I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna with a V6 and the heavy duty cooling and the Toyota version of a towing set up (but no hitch or anything else). I was wondering what models of Airstreams I could safely and easily tow with it. Also recommendations for adding hitch, anti-sway, trailer-brake, and the like to prepare for towing.

I have never towed anything before so assume safely that I know nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
garyinfante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Our Ontario WBCCI unit has two members who tow with a Sienna. One is a 25', the other a 27'. There's a member on this board, Steve, who tows a 28' International with his Sienna.

Personally, I tow a 1984 34' International with our Honda Odyssey, almost identical to the Sienna in capability. I use a Hensley hitch, which makes for a rock solid, stable rig.

Here's a link to a blog of a couple who tow their Airstream with a Sienna - all over Canada and Alaska: http://anne-grethe-einar.blogspot.ca...1_archive.html
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I know from experience that the Sienna makes a fine tow vehicle and can handle pretty much any Airstream you want to tow. I've been hauling my 2011 28' International for three years now with my 2011 Sienna and had no issues whatsoever but, and it's a big BUT, you do need to set up properly.

At the risk of getting a concerted groan from my fellow Airstreamers here on the board, I have to mention that my setup was fitted by Can-Am RV in London, Ontario. I'm sure people think I'm on some sort of retainer (I'm not!) but they are the guys to speak to to get full and accurate advice about towing with your Sienna.

Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer

Even if you can't get up here to have work done, Andy and Kirk Thompson are quite free with their advice.

If you want to have a look at my setup, check out my blog - the URL I've listed takes you to an eight-part series that I published about the tow set up:

The Toads of Towed Haul

Good luck with whatever course you take in the Airstream world.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote