Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2003, 10:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Towing with Standard Trannie

We are going to be towing our '71 Ambassador with a 1987 Suburban 2500 - 2 wheel drive, equipped with a 3 speed manual transmission.

My brother-in-law insists that when I'm towing the trailer, I should actually start in low gear, instead of first, to help overcome the weight of the trailer as I get moving. Although the low gear provides lots and lots torque, I can't psychologically get around the idea of not starting in first gear. Any comments?

The other question is how tricky is it to go into gear when you're stopped on a hill, and have gravity and a 7,000lb trailer wanting you to go backwards?

Thanks

Donald
DMAYRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Re: Towing with Standard Trannie

Quote:
Originally posted by DMAYRES
We are going to be towing our '71 Ambassador with a 1987 Suburban 2500 - 2 wheel drive, equipped with a 3 speed manual transmission.

My brother-in-law insists that when I'm towing the trailer, I should actually start in low gear, instead of first, to help overcome the weight of the trailer as I get moving. Although the low gear provides lots and lots torque, I can't psychologically get around the idea of not starting in first gear. Any comments?

The other question is how tricky is it to go into gear when you're stopped on a hill, and have gravity and a 7,000lb trailer wanting you to go backwards?

Thanks

Donald
Donald,

If your Suburban is an 87 then it actually has a 4-speed manual transmission. The knob is probably marked L-1-2-3 as 1st or L is a compound low gear and is not normally used to start out unless you are moving a lot of weight.

Your brother in-law is correct, when loaded you should start out in the gear marked L as this is actually 1st gear. This will save much wear and tear on your clutch and allow you to start out with almost no throttle. L (or 1st) is only good for about 7-10 MPH before you will need to shift up.

As for starting out on a hill, either use the trailer brakes (manually of course) or the parking brake to keep the rig from rolling backwards until you slightly engage the clutch at which time you release the brakes and pull away.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the advice. My suburban's clutch also thanks you.

Donald
Old 11-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
SM465 is a brute of a tranny. It is as tough as they come and the granny gear is very low. I think it's 6.5:1. Most tranny's are in the neighborhood of 3.5:1. It's the preverbial "Stump Puller". Only granny that was lower is the SM420 (7.2:1) and the NV4500 used around 93 had a 6.8:1.

Now what really surprises me is a Sub with a Manual. I have never seen one. It's pretty rare. Most 2500 burbs came with the TH400.

You Might enjoy a site I moderate. www.ck5.com I'm Grim over there.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

The Suburban was a rare find. She's had one owner, who had to special order it from the factory with the standard transmission.

I was rather shocked to find that with highway driving, and not towing, it actually gets 20 mpg.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

That's impressive for such a big vehicle, I take it you have a 350 in it (5.7L) not the big-block 454.

I have a 4500-lbs GM vehicle with 5.7, with over drive it gets 21mpg,but I bet suburb. is heavier than that by a good margin.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by DMAYRES
The Suburban was a rare find. She's had one owner, who had to special order it from the factory with the standard transmission.

I was rather shocked to find that with highway driving, and not towing, it actually gets 20 mpg.
20mpg? has to be a diesel. They will do 20mpg empty.

I bet there is only a handfull of manul burbs that were "factory". I am aware of a couple people converting them but that's something done after the fact. A contracor special (white stripper models) probably account for 99% of them.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
SM465

I had that xmission in a K5 Blazer I special ordered from the factory. 5.7 V8, 3:73 Rear end .
Put it in 4 lo and L you could "not" stall the thing out.
Best day with tail wind 17 MPG and towing 12 MPG.
I also installed aftermarket intake, headers and Detroit lockers.
The transmission was the only thing that never failed when doing very serious off road playing or a little on track mud racing.

Starting out in L with a heavy load is good advice.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote