Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Just got thru the Siskiyou summit with some pretty serious winds and cold temps. Now in Orland the winds are still pretty strong. We kept the thermo at 55 and again it worked fine. We always travel with the refer on propane.
My first RV was a 1983 Lance cabover and the pilot light was always going out along the road especially when passed by a big rig. Eventually the board burned out from trying to re-ignite. Then I found out about a after market board that worked much better. I think the newer equipment has solved the blowout problem. We have never had the refer pilot go out while traveling. If you think about it, what's the difference between the wind at 55-60 mph while driving or sitting parked in a storm with similar or greater speeds. The sensors are much better now and without a pilot light, the main burner gas valve can't open.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
While on the furnace topic does anyone know how much propane is consumed per hour running? We will be in Southern Utah this April where it gets cold at night and dry camping so no electricity.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
If you have a 25,000 btu furnace (25' and above Airstreams all do) then each of your 30 lb propane bottles has approximately 25 hours run time when full.

Propane weighs approximately 4.2 lbs per US gallon at 60 degrees F. The density of propane at 25 degrees C. (77 degrees F) is .493 grams per cubic centimeter or 4.11 lbs per gallon. Propane expands 1.5% per 10 degrees F.

A full 30 lb propane tank holds approximately 7 gallons of propane. 1 gallon of propane produces 92,000 btu's so a full 30 lb bottle will produce 644,000 btu's.

If your furnace uses 25,000 btu's per hour like most do then you have approximately 25 hours run time.

Two full 30 lb bottles will give you 50 hours give or take.

If your furnace thermostat temp is set lower so it doesn't run but 15 minutes every hour (say o keep pipes from freezing) then you have a total of 6 hours run time per 24 hour day so you will last approximately 4 days per 30 lb tank or 8 days total.

Oh, and a full steel 30 lb propane tank will be about 55 lbs total so be careful lifting them on and off your trailer!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 AM   #23

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Just got thru the Siskiyou summit with some pretty serious winds and cold temps. Now in Orland the winds are still pretty strong. traveling. If you think about it, what's the difference between the wind at 55-60 mph while driving or sitting parked in a storm with similar or greater speeds. The sensors are much better now and without a pilot light, the main burner gas valve can't open.
Winds are strong and raining hard here in Fairfield. If you need to over night our driveway is open. Then again, you might be past me by now. Let me know and I will get my address to you.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Winds are strong and raining hard here in Fairfield. If you need to over night our driveway is open. Then again, you might be past me by now. Let me know and I will get my address to you.

Matti
How kind and thoughtful of you. We are not headed your way as we are taking 5 south to 99 and thru Bakersfield on our way to the Winter International in Casa Grande, AZ. If you need a overnighter in Portland, I have full hookups with 50 amp next to my shop. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
I assume you plan to take SR58 out of Bakersfield over the Tehachapi summit. The road was open this AM with no restrictions, but 50% chance of rain/snow/high wind by afternoon. You can check CHP road advisories at 800-427-7623.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #26

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Just went over that pass both directions 3 weeks ago, it is not something I would want to do in inclement weather. If you need to I overnighted at the Walmart at 6225 Colony St. Very close to the freeway and a Costco for cheaper gas.
Puts you about an hour from the bottom of the pass if you need to wait.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
USA and Mattirs, good advice. Grapevine looks good but I forgot about Tehachapi. One day looks bad but we have time to wait it out. Leaving furnace on while towing still working well.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Hi Hendy,
Did you make it over Tehachapi Summit OK? What did you think of road conditions? I'm headed through there in a few weeks on my way to Death Valley for a week...the only time of year to make that trip IMO.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAtraveler View Post
Hi Hendy,
Did you make it over Tehachapi Summit OK? What did you think of road conditions? I'm headed through there in a few weeks on my way to Death Valley for a week...the only time of year to make that trip IMO.
We haven't made it there yet. My wife and I got slammed by a really nasty cold. Can't stop coughing. We are at Eastman Lake COE campground near Chowchilla. We're going to limp into Bakersfield and wait until we feel better. The pass is supposed to a dusting of snow on Thursday and then clear up. We should be OK.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #30

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Sorry to hear that you are sick and having bad weather. With the sun coming out hope you feel better and travel safely.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Ditto Mattirs. Didn't realize you were delayed on 99. On my trip planned in a few weeks I'll stay on I-5 till Buttonwillow exit, then stay of SR58 thru Bakersfield. Before getting to Buttonwillow, I'll stop for the night at Lost Hills. There's a good truck stop there. I have no desire to spend the night in Bakersfield, especially at the Walmart.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #32

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Did you make without further drama? Speaking of Oregon, you going to head south to see the Eclipse? Wife and I are going to head up to Corvallis then possibly drive to Monmouth to catch it.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Did you make without further drama? Speaking of Oregon, you going to head south to see the Eclipse? Wife and I are going to head up to Corvallis then possibly drive to Monmouth to catch it.
After Bakersfield, the next challenge is the Tehachapi Pass. It was fine and the snow was next to nothing. On the way back is not looking so good on Friday 1/20. We may have to go around the southern track on I-10 thru the LA basin. Hope not, but weather watching and route planning are primary considerations of winter travel. The Siskiyou Summit is looking too good either, so we may have to cut over to the coast to get home.

We have a big rally planned for the Eclipse in the Cascades but I don't have the details handy. Send me a note if you're interested.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #34
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
It is disappointing when a thread gets hijacked making it difficult for those interested in the original posting to follow the relevant discussion. Why not use PM or start a new off-topic thread?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
It is disappointing when a thread gets hijacked making it difficult for those interested in the original posting to follow the relevant discussion. Why not use PM or start a new off-topic thread?
You're right and it's mostly my fault. Bottom line: The furnace worked fine while on for 3 days of towing in cold weather. I kept the thermostat at 55 and nothing froze. I wouldn't do it as normal routine except when temps get below 30.