Old 03-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Towing with fresh water???

We have a 22ft CCD. I am wondering if its safe to travel with a full fresh water tank? I dont mind the taste and safety of the water from home. By driving with a full tank cause undo strain on the chassis?
Is anyone for or against carring water for a 3 or 4 day camping trip from home. I was only told drive empty or full, but never half full.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuks
We have a 22ft CCD. I am wondering if its safe to travel with a full fresh water tank? I dont mind the taste and safety of the water from home. By driving with a full tank cause undo strain on the chassis?
Is anyone for or against carring water for a 3 or 4 day camping trip from home. I was only told drive empty or full, but never half full.
I travel with a full 50 gallon water tank in my Safari. I feel that the trailer was made to travel from place to place and you can't exist without water. The reason for 1/2 full is to prevent sloshing and weight moving from side to side, the same reasons that ocean going vessels are more stable with full or empty fuel tanks.

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
When we plan on using on board water we travel with ours full also.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I entirely agree with Bill Kerfoot. For peace of mind you should take the tow vehicle and trailer to a weigh station, loaded with full equipment, food, water and passengers as if for a camping trip, and have each axle weighed. You will then know if you are within the permitted axle loads, total maximum load etc of the trailer and tow vehicle.These will be stamped on each vehicle.
Nick
Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I travel with the fresh tank full (39 gallons=335.4 lbs). The Safari actually seems to tow better with the water in the tank. If your tow vehicle has not exceeded it's tow capacity, I'd say fill 'er up and go.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Canuks, Absolutely, carry full water. Earlier this month, we were faced with a road closure. We had just stopped for fuel. A few miles down the road in a rest area, we stopped to walk the dogs, a trucker told us the interstate was closed due to snow and accidents. He recommended we stay right where we were, the rest area. Sure enough, on the CB, the highway patrol was making announcements. And so we spent the night in the rest area. We had full fuel, water, food on board, and empty holding tanks. NO sweat! We were set!!! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Towing with a "full" water tank has several advantages.

The biggest advantage is that the center of gravity of the trailer, becomes lower, when the water tank is full. Result equals better handling.

The next advantage, is if you need water, you have it. Never know when you might blow a heater hose.

The next advantage, is that you are independent for a source of water.

The smallest disadvantage is that your fuel mileage "might" ever so slightly drop, but only if your in the mountains.

Bottom line, fill the water tanks, especially if you located some well tasting water.

Andy
Old 03-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
..... and fill the tanks slowly (seriously)!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Ok, next question.

There's a 50 gallon oak barrel of Maker's Mark burbon down in a Kentucky warehouse with my name on it. When it finishes aging, I was wondering how to get it home. Now, I know - if you find something that tastes good, fill you tank, slowly, and travel with it.

Any problems with doing that?

I know it wouldn't freeze if we had to stay over at a rest stop in the winter due to a road closure. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

John
Old 03-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher

There's a 50 gallon oak barrel of Maker's Mark burbon down in a Kentucky warehouse with my name on it. When it finishes aging, I was wondering how to get it home. Now, I know - if you find something that tastes good, fill you tank, slowly, and travel with it.

Any problems with doing that?
sure would hate to flush the turlet.......

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
sure would hate to flush the turlet.......
Hadn't thought of that.

But we wouldn't need to use the filtering faucet in the kitchen sink, 'cause it's already been charcoal filtered.

John
Old 03-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Hadn't thought of that.

But we wouldn't need to use the filtering faucet in the kitchen sink, 'cause it's already been charcoal filtered.

John
Actually Suh, Makers Mark is Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, which is not charcoal filtered, Jack Daniels, which is Tennessee Sipping Whiskey, is charcoal filtered.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If yer talkin' about putting that in the fresh tank, I would not do that. There is alcohol in it (obviously) and that can be harmful to some of the rubbers and plastics (tank, hoses, pipes, etc). These items may or may not be alcohol rated, and may do damage, let alone residual taste that will most likely take a lot to get out.

I'd put the keg in the F-250 bed and secure it. If you put it in the Airstream, I'd try to put it over the axles or closer toward the front (never the back, or rear of the axles), but the pickup bed of your F250 would be the best place to put that barrel.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Ahoy Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
"the same reasons that ocean going vessels are more stable with full or empty fuel tanks."

Bill
I traveled with the Caravel full of water for 700 miles no problem. BUT, ships if at all possible displace fuel usage with seawater ballast to offset the used fuel. For some of the same reasons as the trailer - lowers the center of gravity, increases fuel efficiency (in ships) and ride ALOT BETTER.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote