Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2003, 01:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Post towing with Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer)

I have a 25' Safari (1999) which has been parked on some property I owned in Mendocino County here in N. CA. I have to move or sell my 'air' and was wondering since i have never towed it more than 1 or 2 miles will my Ford do it? and would anyone know where I can park it around SF for a reasonable fee....plus if my Ford can't really pull it the 175 miles from where it is to here in sf, are there people who will just tow it to where I want it?

Harlan Hoffman
harlanghoffman@sbcgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I think your Explorer will bit a bit too small for the Safari, both in power, tow rating and wheelbase. I am sure there are those who have done it, but not safely. To get the trailer moved from your property to a storage place, you could contact an RV dealer in your area for a referral to a company that would make this move for you.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
It's true that your Explorer will ...

...probably not make a good tow vehicle for this trailer. But will it be an acceptably safe tow vehicle for a one-time situation like this?

I dunno...

First, check your Explorer's towing capacity. If the dry weight of the trailer is over that, forget it. If it's close, and you're very, very careful, you can probably do it.

NOTE: Do not try this at home. Your mileage may vary. Your mother warned you, and I told you so!

You'll need to invest about $500 in a good equalizer or Reese dual cam hitch; at a minimum, a good WD hitch with a sway control. You'll need the best receiver mount you can buy for your Explorer.

NOTE: At this point, you're out at least five hundred dollars.
Then you need a brake controller: minimum $100.

So now you're at $600, and perhaps with a marginal tow vehicle..

There's lots of folks who would tow your trailer 175 miles for $600. I'd do it for $599.95 if I lived around there

But even if you get it to the storage yard, someday you're going to want to move it, like to use it or something. Maybe time to consider a different tow vehicle...??
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Most companies charge 1-2 bucks a mile. If it is a one time move you would spend less having it moved. They will also have the insurance coverage. Of couse it if you can find a member to do it for dinner and a 12 pack you will be money ahead and may make a new friend.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #5

Re:

Yes Your Expedition Will Tow It That Distance With No Problems As Long As You Have A Good Tow Kit Installed With Engine And Transmission Coolers And An Electronic Brake Controller, But Watch Out If You Are Not Careful You Can Rip That Electronic Transmission Right Out Of Your Truck. Its Kind Of Funny Because I Have A 25' Airstream And An Eddie Bauer Expedtion, Feel Free To Email Me If You Have Any More Questions At: parkervess@bellsouth.net
parkervess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:02 AM   #6

sorry

sorry my mistake i thought you said you had an expedition, i should have read more carefully.
parkervess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:28 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlanghoffman@sbcgl
I have a 25' Safari (1999) which has been parked on some property I owned in Mendocino County here in N. CA. I have to move or sell my 'air' and was wondering since i have never towed it more than 1 or 2 miles will my Ford do it? and would anyone know where I can park it around SF for a reasonable fee....plus if my Ford can't really pull it the 175 miles from where it is to here in sf, are there people who will just tow it to where I want it?

Harlan Hoffman
There are people that will tow it. In a previous life, I drove a towtruck, and we would tow travel trailers for a $50 hookup fee, and $1.50/loaded mile.
You COULD also rent a truck to tow it, that may be cheaper, IF you can find one set up for towing. Not that this is preferred, but you could rent, say, a medium-sized orange and white rental truck (you know, the ones with the big U on the side) and cobble together a makeshift hookup for your lights, it would be more than large enough to haul it safely, even without trailer brakes. Just verify the hitch ball size, yours should be 2 5/16". Personally, I would recommend against it, but it could be done, and you would probably not have a problem. Those trucks are designed to pull a car-hauler trailer, with a 4000 pound car on it.
As far as where to store it, I googled RV storage, and found these for you:
Harbor Bay RV & Self Storage - - 500 Maitland Dr, Alameda, 94502 - (510) 769-5222
Josephs RV Storage - - 69 Industrial Way, Greenbrae, 94904 - (415) 924-2731
San Pablo RV Center - - 2905 San Pablo Dam Rd, El Sobrante, 94803 - (510) 669-9005
One or more of these may even be able to rent you the truck to go get the trailer.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
You guys are workin in a 2 year old thread.....must be slow around here.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
So Harlan, did you get it moved? What did you decide to use to move it?
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:39 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
You guys are workin in a 2 year old thread.....must be slow around here.
It must be. I have noticed several ancient threads popping up lately. Usually I check the dates before I post, this one slipped by me. Oops.
I have noticed that most of these resurrected threads are at the hands of new members, maybe we should bring up the old thread, "posting and you".
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
Old 11-23-2005, 08:50 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

I hired someone to bring it to a long term storage yard, now I want to move it somewhere in a hundred mile radius of SF, so it can be used on weekends for getaways...I am very wary of pulling it with my truck because of the relative weakness of the 6 cylinder 4.0 liter engine..

thanks for asking
Old 11-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

true, I haven't looked back at these, till now