Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #21
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Don't mean to steal the thread but what gear on the freeway do most of you tow in? I tow with a six speed Lexus RX350 and tow in 4th to minimize the transmission shifting back and forth. I rarely use cruise control. Do many folks use cruise control on the freeway and let the transmission shift more or just keep your foot on the accelerator and try to minimize the transmission shifting?
Unless the transmission is not correctly programmed, shifting is not a bad thing. My understanding is that there is towing instruction in the Lexus owners manual. Check and then discuss with a trusted Lexus mechanic that understands the effect of towing on the Lexus transmission.

Cruise can be a help. Should not be an auto pilot. The newer ones will reasonably help to maintain a constant speed. Folks who report that they back off on the peddle to optimize their efficiency forget that a punch on the cruise does the same. Interstates are not all flat and level. Cruise is not a set it and forget it solution. Active driving is a good thing, even if electronics are helping you filter the fuel feed. But it is important for you to decide what works best and keeps you and your rig traveling safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There is no such thing as a "fast lane." The speed limit is the same in every lane. The right lane is the "slow lane" as in the posted signs saying "slower traffic keep right," but that doesn't make any other lane the fast lane.

But there sure are a lot of people who think the left lane is the "name your own speed limit" lane!

If the highway widens out to three or more lanes (I-635 in Dallas, for instance), I'll move into the second lane because I've lost track of the number of times I slowed to let a merging vehicle get in front of me, only to have that merging vehicle slow down as well so that we still nearly hit each other!
Thank you for offering me the ability to express my first difference of opinion on these forums. I too often use the middle lane simply because I am traveling faster than those in the right. I agree there is no fast lane and that the speed limit is the same in all lanes; however, the reality is that traffic (at least in WA, ID, & OR) usually flows about 10 mph faster than the posted speed). Although it is possibly to drive in the far left at the posted MPH, that vehicle is impending traffic and also not advising the "slower traffic keep right," thus giving cause for other drivers to make the poor choice and pass them on the right. Therefore, it is not defensive to drive in the left lane slower than other traffic.

To each their own, I just like to be defensive. I will add one more point to all the other good advise. Look further ahead. Many accidents are caused by not looking further ahead. Watch at least a football field ahead.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Therefore, it is not defensive to drive in the left lane slower than other traffic.

To each their own, I just like to be defensive.
I agree. The only time I drive in the left lane slower than prevailing traffic is when a left exit is coming up, in which case I do my lane change with plenty of room to spare rather than waiting for the last moment— or when passing someone even slower than me, and even then I don't pass if I can see traffic coming up in the lane to my left that I would cut off by my lane change. As pilots say, "check six," except when towing it's more like "check 5 and 7."

I just have a pet peeve about people talking about the "fast lane" as if just being in the left-hand lane excuses going like a bat out of hell. Not that it applies to you or anyone on this forum, of course— Airstreamers aren't speeders for the most part.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Great tips! The only other thing we have done is timing our travel to go through large metropolitan areas (such as Houston or St. Louis, etc.) to avoid heavier traffic times (ie; after rush hour, before lunch, after lunch or our new favorite after 8pm). Just don't try to push it too far in one day to attempt this feat.
Phoedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
My wife and I wonderef about the use of the carpool lane when pulling the AS. Never done it just wondering if it's legal (we do have more than one person in the tow vehicle). After towing more than 10 years all over the country, I prefer the two lane back roads and I agree fewer and fewer people seem to know how to merge on to the freeway. After three years with the Michellin tires if you have to go over 65 mph to get around someone texting or talking on the phone going less than fifty in the right lane of the expressway while the left lane is rolling along at 80 plus, you at least don't fear a trailer tire blowout (come to think of it all five of my trailer tire blowouts occurred at less than 60 mph).
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Belleair Beach , United States
Florida statute 316.081 states that motorists should drive in the right-most lane or the right half of the roadway with a few exceptions, including when passing other vehicles or when an obstruction makes it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway.
rhoelscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #27
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Sometimes it is illegal to drive a slower vehicle in the left lane. Depends on the jurisdiction.

Here in BC, it is a $167 fine and three demerit points. It only applies on roads with a speed limit of 80 km/hr (50 mph) or greater.

The legislation prohibits driving in the left lane unless a motorist is:

* overtaking and passing another vehicle
* moving left to allow traffic to merge
* preparing for a left hand turn
* passing a stopped official vehicle displaying red, blue or yellow flashing lights, such as: police cars, ambulances, tow trucks, maintenance or construction vehicles.

A quick check shows that many US states have similar laws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Right Except to Pass.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	266266  
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
On the interstate highways, I hang in the right lane, running about 60, unless I am going through a big city (Atlanta, St. Louis, K.C., etc.). In those instances I take the advice of an old neighbor, who was a circus performer and spent years towing trailers all over the country. He said to move over toward the center, though not all the way to the left, and stay there, even though you may be driving slightly slower than other folks. You just never know which way you need to move at a junction. As to changing lanes, he said look to see if it is clear, hit your turn signal, count to ten and go! That had been good advice for about 25 years.

I also try to schedule my trips to hit the big metro areas on Saturday or Sunday, or at least not at rush hour.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
One other thing I often try to do when leaving home and having to travel through large cities is to plan my trip to traverse those cities on a weekend.

I'm not sure if my logic holds water or not, but my feeling is that the city traffic should be lighter, especially compared to anything near rush hour on a week day.

When heading south on our annual snowbird trip, our first day of driving is a long day - has been upwards of 1000 miles, (although as I get older and realise I have been retired 16 years and can take my time, it tends to be less now but still a long day. ) We usually aim to make it a Saturday or Sunday.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
In addition to the great advice already offered, I would suggest that you acquire and install a rear view camera. Even though I have a good set of Milenco mirrors, my rear view camera has become a necessity for me for a more relaxed safe journey through a major city. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
My biggest heartburn about freeway travel in large cities is not knowing which lane I need when major arteries come together. I have now started previewing the intersection on maps.google.com. I can usually pick out which lanes go where I am headed. As an earlier comment pointed out, the center lane in a three lane stretch eliminates those panic moments when you discover the right lane is exit only.
Candominium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
In congested urban areas I just swerve from lane to lane while playing country music loudly with the truck windows down. Works like a charm - everyone gives me a wide berth... ;-)
Old 07-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Marfa , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiredneck View Post
in congested urban areas i just swerve from lane to lane while playing country music loudly with the truck windows down. Works like a charm - everyone gives me a wide berth... ;-)

😂👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
MarfaTX1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Towing on the freeway!! Tips.

Don't forget at least one copy of the "stars and bars" somewhere on the truck and either an Auburn or Alabama sticker or six. Also requires a gun rack in the rear window, and a ratty John Deere ball cap, stuck on backwards, of course. For a certainty, a set of "never forget" mud flaps.

Been there, seen that, gave that good ol' boy a wide berth.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
From my job working at a Civil War battlefield, I've got a great rendition of "Dixie" on a CD - and a gray kepi! ;-)
Old 07-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Spent quite a few years in Huntsville, Al. It was interesting.

The first 6 weeks, I had to explain southern culture and mannerisms and interpret 'Southern Drawl' to the boys.

It's really a wonderful area, full of history and tradition. Lots of neat camping and fishing, plus lots of rocket scientists there at NASA.

Still have family there.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bend , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to synapticon
Has anyone mentioned navigation apps? I have been using WAZE for all my driving, even when I think I know the area. Numerous times it has redirected me around traffic jams and hazards that I would have had no clue until I was in the middle of it. Recent trip to Carmel, CA through SF, it guided us off the interstate and along local roads that avoided massive traffic congestion that was visible from off the freeway. It also has been invaluable in unfamiliar areas, directing us to our destinations. Instead of being a distraction it has helped point out important features of navigation to the destination. As someone mentioned above, looking far ahead at what's coming.
ProPride

For those who understand, things are as they are. For those who don't understand, things are as they are.
synapticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I use an iPhone running the NAVIGON app. Works for me, once you pay for it the map updates are free. Seems to do just fine in my travels. Traffic avoidance needs a data connection as far as I know. All the maps are on the phone, so it does not have Google Maps issues if there is no data available. In fact, I've run it on an old iPad with an external gps. Talk about a glass cockpit--that's a huge display.