Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Towing mirrors

I bought OEM tow mirrors for my Tundra. Installed them myself after watching a video on YouTube. The video is for installing speakers, but it shows how to remove the door panel. It's from Taco Tunes.
Watched the video 3 times before I even noticed the truck. LOL

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
There's a fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I'll have to take another look at those then. The right side of my McKesh won't stay adjusted right.
We had the same problem with our McKesh mirrors until we found this...

There are several Phillips-head screws on the bottom of the mirror adjacent to the "stem". If you tighten these, the wind (or you) cannot adjust the mirror. So, adjust until you think the mirror is just right, then carefully tighten the screws (don't bump the mirror and change the adjustment while doing this).

Also, find a reference point on the TV window and set the McKesh mount at the same place every time.

Now, if I can just find a way to keep those mounting straps from singing (off key). Yes, I use a foam block under them, but in certain wind conditions they still sing.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Now, if I can just find a way to keep those mounting straps from singing (off key). Yes, I use a foam block under them, but in certain wind conditions they still sing.
Singing straps were a real pain - I tried a number of tricks including cloth and foam under the lower part of the door. Besides looking a bit "jury-rigged," I had a few blow off over the years. I also tried putting a single twist in the bottom strap, but this didn't always work.

This works the best for me: try taking small strips of velcro and looping them around the upper and lower portions of the strap, bowing the edges inward a little. This breaks up the taught straight lines, and keeps it from resonating. Plus, you can leave the loops on all the time.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
Singing straps were a real pain - I tried a number of tricks including cloth and foam under the lower part of the door. Besides looking a bit "jury-rigged," I had a few blow off over the years. I also tried putting a single twist in the bottom strap, but this didn't always work.

This works the best for me: try taking small strips of velcro and looping them around the upper and lower portions of the strap, bowing the edges inward a little. This breaks up the taught straight lines, and keeps it from resonating. Plus, you can leave the loops on all the time.

Nice tip, will give that a try!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
McKesh Mirrors

We tow our 19' Bambi with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We tried a set of mirrors from JR products:

(JR Products :: Catalog

But stopped using them when one fell off at 60mph. Thankfully it did not hit anything (us or another vehicle). I had just adjusted the mirror and evidently one of the clamps failed to hold. These mirrors are an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

So we bought some McKesh mirrors:

https://www.safetowingstore.com/McKe...rs-p/70007.htm

These will definitely not fall off, but the right mirror is very difficult to adjust to a position where it provides a good view. The left one is fine. We bought a 5" convex mirror (glue on) for the right mirror and that solved the problem.

George

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post

Fantastic! I'll give that at try.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Was just reading about these replacement towing mirrors on the Tundra Forum. Will fit up to a 2014 Tundra.

Where to get towing mirrors Canada - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Amazon.com: Fit System 70103-04T Toyota Tundra Driver/Passenger Side Replacement Mirror Set with Turn Signal and Dual Glass: Automotive