Old 05-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
When I was picking up some parts from a local NAPA Auto, I got to talking about my AS with the guy behind the counter. Turns out he's had a number of trailers (both travel trailer and toy hauler setups). One of the things he mentioned was taking them to the beach, and how they originally struggled every time, until some old timer in a weak little pickup schooled them on the fact that they were forgetting to let air out of the trailer tires as well as the tow vehicle's.

MogRod: a '66 Morgan +4 resto-mod project
2014 Corvette Z51 Stingray: the daily driver
1972 Airstream Ambassador: the new toy / project!
flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Originally Posted by Big Air View Post
We have a county park on Long Island that allows you to camp right in the sand on the beach. Has anyone ever pulled their airstream onto the sand? Worried about sand in the bearings and breaks.

find or join the folks in the Metro New York Unit of the WBCCI - they can help you with that as a number of them have camped out there on the sand.

we visited that beach two seasons ago, promising ourselves that we'll come back some day with our trailer....

unless you drag your rig through the sand, rather than across the sand, I don't think you'll have bearing or brake problems. you won't be moving fast enough to kick much sand up....

Joseph & Gabrielle

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master
I wouldn't risk it

There is an unpaved road in Utah with a stretch of soft sand. People in cars are advised to keep speed at 40 MPH and NOT STOP. Maybe it's just me…but I kinda think camping requires being STOPPED, at some point……..just sayin'.

My brother camps on the beach…………...IN A TENT!!!!!!

I got stuck once…..ON WET GRASS ON LEVEL GROUND. ( A 4X4 got me out )

I guess you are talking about camping on hard packed sand with a paved road up to the packed part. Wash your camper as soon as you can. Get a great vacuum cleaner, and know when and where high tides are. I know bare aluminum hates salt air and water. My beach bicycles used to pit and oxidize REAL quick.

There are some campgrounds with concrete pads a few feet from the beach in California, and Florida

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote