Old 05-31-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Delta , British Columbia
Towing in the Coquihalla?

We're first timers as we just bought our Airstream and have not yet taken our first trip. We want to go to Saskatchewan this summer and wonder if the Coquihalla is a good choice. I'm soooo nervous!

Thanks from J and J

Old 05-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

How about making your first trip in the driveway! spend the night in it tonight and use all the features and keep a list of the things you would like to have.
It will be fun, and give you experiance using your Airstream!

Good luck
RichardT

Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Hopefully Barry will see this and can comment. I haven't towed yet so can't comment from experience. I know that my parents prefer to tow their trailer over the Coquihalla, rather than the old Hope/Princeton because it is faster and not as twisty. They prefer the long hills and the relatively straight highway. When I'm driving my Volvo or motorcycle, if time allows it, I prefer the Hope/Princeton because it's more fun.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Sorry I'm so late to respond. I'm not on the computer a whole lot lately .

First off congratulations on your new Airstream. Geez, by now it's probably been well used (hopefully) and also hopefully this response is not too late to be of interest.

We tow the Coq frequently and have had no problems either way. We do make a point of hitting it early or late to avoid the heat of the day, and the traffic volume as well is down at those times. When we are in a hurry to get somewhere or the Coq and connector make sense that is the route we take.

The nice trip though, much more scenic and it is only 90 minutes more, is the old Hwy 1. No major hills, less traffic, slower paced, and beautiful scenery. When we've left enough time to take this route, which is the preferred route, this is the way we go.

We tow with vintage cars with my '57 being one of the newest and although we have upgraded them significantly they still don't have the same cooling systems as newer vehicles. We don't have problems but we travel at 90 K/Hr mostly.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Delta , British Columbia
flying through the Coq

Dear Barry and Donna

Thank you so much for your encouragement and comments on your experience with the Coquihalla. We are about to make our very first Airtream trip next weekend around the 21st. of June and all the support we have received from members of the Airstream forum has been great.

We will eventually end up in Flin Flon Manitoba for a reunion.

Hope to meet you sometime. Jim and Joyce from Tsawwassen
Old 06-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Flin Flon is a long haul. If you have not traveled with a trailer before then the only non-Coquihalla recommendation I can make is to be very cautious of the wind in Alberta and Saskatchewan. My buddy bought the remains of a 2004 in 2006 that was blown off the highway near Regina. If the wind is really blowing - to me that's in excess of MPH/100kmh (we are originally from Lethbridge, Alberta so know lots about wind) we just pull off and enjoy a rest until it dies down.

Friends of our just returned from a trip north of Winnipeg where they picked up a '64 Corvette roadster. Other than lots of rain through MB and AB they said the roads were good, not as much traffic as on previous trips which they think could be because of fuel prices, and the only area where the roads were not well maintained was the SK portion. I don't know if they took the Yellow head or Trans Canada.

Travel safe,
Barry