Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
No friggin way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience towing a small Airstream with a VW Bus.

Currently, we live in a 29' Class C RV. It's great and all, but it's on it's way out and I've been itching to get a little '79 VW Bus and fix it all up. I know they have a small engine, 60HP at best, so I'm not sure if I would be able to tow anything, let alone even a small Airstream.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm even open to the idea of having a larger, more powerful engine put into the VW if necessary.
As an owner of a '75, I wouldn't trust my life to it. You could drop in a Subaru boxer or toyota 22RE and have plenty of power, but you still have the hitch issue Andy mentioned. The late 70's bus is almost a uni-body frame. It simply isn't designed to pull the weight. It's purpose is a self contained little traveler.

Now lets assume you did get a big subi motor in it, and a hitch welded up. That big bread box of a van handles like a turd. The slightest crosswind and you're white knuckling it. You watch your mirrors for overtaking Semi's so that you can brace yourself for the 'fun'. A 12 hour drive is downright stressful. I love my bus, but there's no way in hell I'd attach something even bigger to the back.

Buy the bus. It's awesome fun. Buy an Airstream. Just use them for different types of trips. Blitzkrieg weekend trips sleeping in parking lots: the bus. National park week long stays: Airstream.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally Byam and VW's

Wally Byam did it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 dvd - airstream world (700).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	75971   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 dvd - airstream world (974).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	75972  

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Yes you can!

If you choose wisely!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kombi1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	75975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kombi2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	75976  

Name:	Kombi3.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	75977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kombi4.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	75978  

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Wally Byam did it!
Wow!!! I'm impressed!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #25
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
On the question of repowering the VW van with a bigger engine. Yes this can be done and has been done successfully many times. The downside is the transmissions. Owners report replacing the transmission every 2 or 3 years if they use the new power, and that is without towing anything.

I had a 79 VW Westphalia a few years back, with a bad engine. I seriously considered shelling out the engine compartment and installing the business end of a Chrysler 3.8 V6 car. The Chrysler New Yorker and Imperial from the late 80s and early 90s had a track width narrow enough to fit in the VW wheel wells, and this was the biggest front drive that would.

The idea would be to keep the Chrysler power train and wheels in the original cage with the fenders dashboard bumper etc removed. Shell out the back of the VW and drop the VW body down over the Chrysler subframe.

I'm sure this could be done and the resulting Frankenstein would tow an Airstream. But it would be more or less a stunt or freak show for nothing. You can go out and buy a better tow vehicle for less money.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
You can go out and buy a better tow vehicle for less money.
Yes.. For example our 1993 Nissan Van 150HP/180TQ easily handled our Airstream. It would cruise at 100KPH hour after hour with no problems relating to towing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airr.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	75983  
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Another Alternative !

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tle-43930.html

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Towing with too small a tow vehicle can be tricky. Take a look at this unfortunate vacationer who found out the hard way.

You Tube Vid
Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Saab tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
Towing with too small a tow vehicle can be tricky. Take a look at this unfortunate vacationer who found out the hard way.
LOL.... They choose the wrong small tow vehicle. They should have bought a Saab !!!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No, no, no, no, we don't tow it no more...

We towed a 990 pound (we weighed it)1968 canned ham trailer with a 1968 VW bus when both were new. Top speed was 45 on flat, level ground, with a tailwind. Uphill, regularly we were in 2nd gear, or even 1st, doing 10-20 mph. While the trailer itself was fun, towing it wasn't, and the trailer and bus were both traded in on a 1971 Campmobile within 18 months. The Campmobile went through exhaust valves like a fat kid eating a box of chocolates, but that's another story for another forum.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wally dood it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
Review this thread, Wally did!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #32
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Greetings.

I've been shlepping our 19' CCD around the (flat) midwest since we bought the AS in May of 2004 with our beloved 2001 VW Eurovan MV Weekender.

Not that I wanted to, but economically it just wasn't feasible to buy another vehicle. Nor was there one that I particularly want except a Toureg.

That said, we've been out many times, and with careful driving and REALLY going easy on accelerating and braking we have found this to be a remarkable vehicle. This actually makes us a two camper family.

I have the brakes checked frequently, and they are still the factory original! Although, I think it might be time for a change.

In 2001, VW switched over to a more powerful engine, 201hp, 2.8lt which helps to.

Even if I had the Toureg of my dreams, this van will stay in the family. I wouldn't attempt to tow with anything older than the 2001 though.

Here is some further info on how I tow with the EV:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...3&postcount=12
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
I’m still driving my ’58 VW Westfalia Microbus camper with stock 36 HP motor, birch wood interior and safari flip out windshields for short cruising trips. It lead me to Airstreams.

I’d more likely use the ’64 Airstream Safari to pull the VW!

Type II buses will go off road nicely and will climb almost anywhere, slowly, but towing power, that’s another story.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I have 3 VW buses a 56 kombi, 64 camper, & a 68 SC (single cab pu), Would not tow with a stock 1500 or 1600 engine. One could build a 1915 - 2135 engine that would pull a small AS. But will the stock breaks stop it?? I would like to see a vintage VW bus tow a small AS
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Westafalia Werke, Weidenbruck, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
I’m still driving my ’58 VW Westfalia Microbus camper with stock 36 HP motor, birch wood interior and safari flip out windshields for short cruising trips. It lead me to Airstreams.

I’d more likely use the ’64 Airstream Safari to pull the VW!

Type II buses will go off road nicely and will climb almost anywhere, slowly, but towing power, that’s another story.
There was a strong relationship between Wally and Han Knobel, owner of Westfalia Werke.

This is a story to be told. In 1956 Stella Byam and Helen Byam Schwamborn stayed at the family home in Weidenbruck.

I also became aquainted with Dick Dunbar, VP of Marketing, with Hehr manufacturing. Dick traveled ofter to the Westfalia Werke. Hehr sold and furnished the windows for the Combe, this met the safety regulations required for American vehicles.

Pee Wee
Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
A 59 split window

This looks like it is becoming a VW Bus thread. So here goes. I had a 59 Bus that I referred to as a combi. I'm not sure that is the correct description. It had no side windows and there was a divider panel between the front seats and the back of the bus. It also was a 36hp hauler. I converted it to a camper of my own design. The 59 had the small back window opening and small window. To the side of the back window I built in an ice box for food storage. A table folded out of the back window space that had a Colman stove mounted on it for cooking. This was my main vehicle and my camper that I use in Yosemite while I was rock climbing in those younger days.
In our town, Yreka,CA, there is a fellow who had a VW bus yard. He must have at least 40 busses of all years. His place is located right off of I5. I've never stopped to talk to him. You know too many projects allready. But when ever I drive by I can't help but look at the collection of Busses to pick out the ones I think are probably 59's. It a lot like driving through my old home town and hoping I might see that old college buddy. The one I spent so much time with.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
If it had no side windows it would have been a panel and not a Kombi. There is a couple who are traveling around the world in their 1958 panel...they are in Peru right now. I believe their website is:
bumfuzzle.com
Check it out...pretty cool journey.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #38
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Hey thank you everyone for all your posts - lots of cool ideas, but overall I'm hearing that it's a resounding "no."

We would definitely be aiming to get a smaller AS, not sure of the proper terminology but I call it the armadillo, basically what Wally was towing. However, it might be prohibitive to completely rebuild the engine and (gasp!) the tranny every two years!!!

My basic idea was to possibly even strip out the stove/fridge/sink from the AS and make it into more of a communal living space. I have a wife and a 7 year old boy, so the wife and I would have a toilet + bedroom-that-converts-to-a-living-room in the AS, and then the sink/oven/toilet from the VW would serve us for that type of thing, and also the boy could have his "room" in the bus.

We're fulltimers, and somewhat creative/customizer types, so with a setup like this we could have a full home with both vehicles combined, but then also leave the AS behind if we wanted to explore cities or National Parks without towing around the whole shebang.

I do realize that I could pull this off with other vehicles, but for the same reason you guys are all wild about Airstreams, I'm also into the VW Bus...there's an aura and a history behind it, and they just look so darned swell.

Thanks for ALL of your help! I'm going to keep looking into it and if/when I ever pull it off, I'll be sure to check back in.

Now, off to read the thread on Wally...
clicknathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #39
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Ha ha It would make more sense to tow a VW with an Airstream... if you had an Airstream motorhome that is. Ha ha.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #40
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
VW Site

Here ya go.This is a great site to use if you want to look into it more deeply.I am pretty sure you already knew of this site anyways but here it is for the others who didnt.
I sure do miss my little Volkwagen though.Those things were strong if you built then right.

TheSamba.com :: Volkswagen Classifieds, photos, shows, forums, and information

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, volkswagen, vw bus