Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Danville , California
Towing a 25ft Airstream down Hwy 1

Hi,
We have camping reservations at Big Sur state park on friday night and then we will continue on to Pismo state beach on Saturday . I know highway 1 is curvey. do you think Hwy 1 south it is drivable with our 25 foot Airstream, or should we go back north and head back to 101 south?? I have no desire to feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride with steep hairpin turns, and I havn't driven hwy 1 for about 15 years so I can't remember the road at all. Thanks for your help!

maggiefoss

Old 08-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
i took my 23 footer that route last August. I found it to be not that bad. South 101 bridges were under construction then. Stayed in Laguna Ca. last night and I heard it still is.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
I drove the southern portion, from Morro Bay to up to near Kirk Creek last April. I knew about the (temporary) road closure north of Kirk Creek, but didn't discover another closure 8 miles south of Kirk Creek until we arrived at the roadblock. There had been a landslide the night before, and the road signs had not yet been updated. I expect it's clear by now.

So I learned that yes, indeed, you can do a U-turn on the two-lane highway 1, with the benefit of using the shoulder of the road, plus a well-placed 5 foot wide turnout on the west side of the road with a shortbed F250 and Airstream 27FB.

But other than that excitement, driving the highway was no problem at all. There were some a couple of twisty spots, but with care were easily negotiated. Just take your time. the scenery is worth it, and depending on the season, you may get to see the seal colony down near Hearst Castle.

Good luck -
Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
There had been a landslide the night before, and the road signs had not yet been updated. I expect it's clear by now.
Wow, you must have been at the same place we were the same day! We arrived ~11am at the slide. We ended up doing the big tour via Paso Robles, Fort Hunter Liggett and the Nacimiento Ferguson Road to get right into Kirk Campground, which had a slew of spots to choose from since only the really adventurous could get there! Driving the 1-1/2 lane wide hairpin turns with a 23FB was fun. We went both ways, westwards to get in and eastwards to head out.

This was our first trailer camping trip to Big Sur and we got one of the best spots in the nicest campground with no planning, reserving, or waiting. Probably a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. Next time will be tough, may have to drag the 23FB onto prewitt ridge :-O
Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
it was great

last year about this time we got on the 1 at leggett and streamed down the coast. we stayed at Fort Bragg and Bodega Bay and Half Moon Bay and San Simeon and did see the seals there ....we continued south and stayed at the rv park in malibu. I cannot wait to drag the airstream up or down the 1 again
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
tvo - We arrived at the roadblock early afternoon, so must have been close. we chose not to take the 27FB over Nacimiento road, so we back tracked to Morro Bay State Park and stayed the night there. We were disappointed we couldnt get to Kirk Creek, it's a gem we have yet to experience. but hopefully will soon.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Danville , California
Hi, Thanks for all the replys. My husband just said, "Well, maybe it will work but it will take forever." Should we drive back north toget on the 101 if we want to get to Pismo Beach to get a good campsite, (we have a reservation, but not a spot), or continue south on Hwy 1, take it slower, have a much more beautiful drive (albeit a few more hairpin turns) do you think it will take tons more time??? Thanks for all your advice!
Maggie
Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
I'm pretty sure that driving north to get to 101 south from Big Sur, will take significantly more time then simply heading south on 1...
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
tvo - We arrived at the roadblock early afternoon, so must have been close. we chose not to take the 27FB over Nacimiento road, so we back tracked to Morro Bay State Park and stayed the night there. We were disappointed we couldnt get to Kirk Creek, it's a gem we have yet to experience. but hopefully will soon.
Yeah, a 27FB would have been iffy on that road with all the traffic! Best of luck the next time!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
jdb
jdb

2005 22' International CCD
Somewhere , Currently moving east to west
The campsites at Pismo are all similar, differing only in their distance from a bathroom and how much soft sand you have to get through. It's going to be OK because you're going on a Monday and Labor Day is still a couple of weeks off. If you were in Monterey, it is a no brainer to go the 101 route. Since you're in Big Sur, it's probably a wash. It's twisty and narrow as all getout, albeit beautiful. If you start early, you'll be on good road in a couple of hours. Good luck and good Airstreaming.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
jdb
jdb

2005 22' International CCD
Somewhere , Currently moving east to west
I just read you have Pismo reservations on Saturday. I'm sorry I misunderstood. Pismo will be a zoo on Saturday with all the ORVs and RV support vehicles in the world buzzing around and generally being annoying and loud. You'll get a spot if you have a reservation, but God only knows where it'll be. Good luck. You'll likely need it. (I'm an ex-Pismo resident.) Watch the soft sand. Check the tides. Low is good. The good news is, you'll have plenty of help if you get stuck.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Just do it...

Go for it...the trip was well worth it for us.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We drove the highway last fall without problems. Sections north of the Golden Gate Bridge are more twisty and narrow, but we did that too. We have been on much worse than the highway south of Big Sur.

Going north to US 101 will take much time and the traffic may be worse than the curves on 1. Check for construction on a highway dep't website and check the news for any immediate issues such as rockslides.

Everyone has a different reaction to narrow, winding roads and heights. Either way you go, you will be on one.

Gene
Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Hi Way 1/101

Hi Maggie,

We drove from BC to Monterey on Highway 1 and 101 all the way.. Washington, Oregon and California...Dodge 1500 pulling a 25' International. Its a great trip! Yes the road is curvey, but smooth, in excellent condition and very managable. Plus its a beautiful drive with lots to see and places to stay. Its far far superior ito inland ruotes or the I 5. Go for it!