Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #81
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Looking at the test results (admit just a quick scan) it looks like they recommend the Honda Ridgeline. Wouldn’t be my first choice for towing or using at the farm.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Not a new test. This type of crash is a challenge for responders due to feet/legs becoming entrapped in sheet metal. It’s not pretty.
If this is not a new test than something is really wrong. Tundra has had good crash test results year after year. Now suddenly it fails? And no explanation why the sudden change?

The only thing I can think of is perhaps Toyota changed the airbag configuration or something for 2019? In the absence of that I’d say the results are suspect.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
If this is not a new test than something is really wrong. Tundra has had good crash test results year after year. Now suddenly it fails? And no explanation why the sudden change?

The only thing I can think of is perhaps Toyota changed the airbag configuration or something for 2019? In the absence of that I’d say the results are suspect.
The tests are relative.

Once other makers make theirs better yours is by default worse. There have been amazing designs that make this class of trucks amazingly safe. Unfortunately Tundra has not changed it's design in a few years.

I don't see the Tundra as a death trap by any means! These tests are based on a specific crash that frankly I bet are few and far between. How often does one crash into sharp angled stationary object without a defensive maneuver? They should have been slamming into a parked vehicle while decelerating and at different angles...

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:26 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post

I don't see the Tundra as a death trap by any means! These tests are based on a specific crash that frankly I bet are few and far between.

R44
Sorry, but that’s wrong. It happens enough that a specific test was developed for this impact. What’s rare is a true straight on crash.

Side impact tests have also become more stringent.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Indeed the F150 gets kudos for getting top of class grades in this test. Limited redesigned others also do well in the recently introduced small overlap crash test. Does this invalidate every vehicle designed before the introduction of this test? Including every older model F150. Or the 3/4 or 1-ton vehicles that don't even get subjected to this test?

Trucks and larger vehicles, by virtue of their size/mass/larger bones, are going to inherently be safer than most vehicles on the road.

Should a Ford get knocked for safety if it strands me and my family in the boonies with a break down?

You win some, you loose some.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Pearl , Alaska
And if safety is a factor in your decision, the Tundra failed miserably on the offset frontal impact test...
Ford F-150 was the highest rated full-size truck for safety...until the new Honda Ridgeline made its debut...
Main reason I bought the Ford
Deltaboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Indeed the F150 gets kudos for getting top of class grades in this test. Limited redesigned others also do well in the recently introduced small overlap crash test. Does this invalidate every vehicle designed before the introduction of this test? Including every older model F150. Or the 3/4 or 1-ton vehicles that don't even get subjected to this test?

Trucks and larger vehicles, by virtue of their size/mass/larger bones, are going to inherently be safer than most vehicles on the road.

Should a Ford get knocked for safety if it strands me and my family in the boonies with a break down?

You win some, you loose some.
Trucks haven’t done well in this test until fairly recently. And Toyota isn’t the only brand that did poorly. Surprisingly, mass doesn’t always help in these tests with rigid barriers. It does help if you hit a smaller vehicle.

Crash tests only evaluate crashes. They don’t cover what happens if you break down. Any vehicle can have a tire failure etc and leave your family stranded. I know you know this as one who works in the industry. As a first responder I can tell you small overlap crashes are horrible and I’m glad someone is working on them. I’ll take all the help I can get.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaboy59 View Post
And if safety is a factor in your decision, the Tundra failed miserably on the offset frontal impact test...
Ford F-150 was the highest rated full-size truck for safety...until the new Honda Ridgeline made its debut...
Main reason I bought the Ford
The Ridgeline is impressive. If they ever make a HD diesel look out.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Trucks haven’t done well in this test until fairly recently. And Toyota isn’t the only brand that did poorly. Surprisingly, mass doesn’t always help in these tests with rigid barriers. It does help if you hit a smaller vehicle.

Crash tests only evaluate crashes. They don’t cover what happens if you break down. Any vehicle can have a tire failure etc and leave your family stranded. I know you know this as one who works in the industry. As a first responder I can tell you small overlap crashes are horrible and I’m glad someone is working on them. I’ll take all the help I can get.
Agreed. While the test is measured against a rigid barrier which a vehicles own weight and load works against it, the reality on the road is much more likely a movable barrier or smaller car. But it's a matter of perceived risk. Some factors more important to each individual than others.

There's many trades and personal decisions in choosing a vehicle.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #90
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
While crash tests don't cover breakdowns, it is more important to me that they don't cover what happens in the moments leading to the crash. There is a focus in this discussion on passive safety, but much less on active safety. I think it should be the other way round. Excellent handling, responsive steering, roll stability, braking distances, etc, all impact one's ability to avoid the crash; by the time one hits either a barrier or an oncoming vehicle, little can be done.

Focusing on just crash data and not on the active safety issues is a little like discussing driving while intoxicated and opining that one should wear a seatbelt so one isn't hurt so much when one crashes.

Data on crashes per 100,000 km should be evaluated along with crash barrier data, IMO.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
The Ridgeline is impressive. If they ever make a HD diesel look out.
It wont tow anything past a Bambi.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #92

2019 22' Sport
Calgary , Alberta
Ok, finally took our first week long camping trip.

Here is how I scaled out:

Loaded truck with passengers and dog, no trailer:

Front Axle: 3,593lbs
Rear Axle: 3,263lbs
GVW: 6,856lbs

Loaded truck with passengers and dog and trailer with weight distribution hitch:

Front Axle: 3,637lbs
Rear Axle: 3,836lbs
GVW: 7,473lbs
Trailer Axle: 3,659lbs
Trailer tongue weight: 617lbs (with weight distribution hitch)

GVWR of my truck: 7,300lbs

I'm good on both front and rear axle loadings but am over my GVWR by 173lbs!

I was carrying a generator and a big cooler filled with ice in the bed plus some misc stuff. Next time i'm going to try backing off the weight distribution a chain link and see if that helps.

Truck drove great and didn't feel the trailer that much. Averaged 18.1 l/100km (13 US mpg) on uphill trip back.
cam0141 is offline   Reply With Quote