Old 03-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post

All that said, I have a friend with a Tundra who just hit 240,000 miles and has had zero repairs required. Why not just stick with Toyota if you can live with the "styling" which is just personal taste anyway?
Iím not a Toyota fan but it looks just like a Chevy or a Ram. Didnít see anything wrong with the styling.

Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
I have towed a 22 FB over 30,000 miles with a Mercedes 350 ML diesel. I also towed a 28 RB for 1500 miles. You cant beat it as a tow vehicle. I averaged 17.5 mpg with the 22 and 16.5 with the 28. At some point I needed more room to carry stuff so i began to research pickups. I soon found out that a 1/2 ton pickup couldn't compare to the ML as a tow vehicle. I finally wound up buying a 3/4 ton pickup.

out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quartzsite , Arizona
Well...

So I decided between the Tundra and F150! LOVE the F150 looks! I found a great F150 for same price with same set up as the Tundra I want and was ready to head out for it.

Went to a F150 forum. Here's some of the direct quotes from F150 owners.

"...the reliability of these trucks doesnt touch Toyota's."

"...Ford has one of the most advanced trucks out there, that doesn't always translate into long term reliability."

"If you're going to use the truck to do truck things, get the Tundra."

Problem threads were numerous. Even a salesman told me they start having issues with turbo at 125K miles.... Best friend who's a life long Ford guy said he'll never own another after his last F150 disaster!

Got the exact opposite feedback at the Tundra forums....

Dang it! I really like the looks of the F150 too...

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tow Vehicle Quality Reviews?

Tundra, like most Toyota products, is not awe-inspiring on design, or technology necessarily, but darn it, they run darn near forever with minimal issues. DW wonít buy anything else due to bitter experience. And since she is the one that approves what weíre riding in, and often PAYS for them, Iím not going to argue. We wonít talk about the unreliable GMC products or the maintenance nightmares of Volvo vehicles weíve had literal fleets of in the past. Had 5 Volvo cars, and became an expert on them out of necessity. Now no Volvos and no issues other than routine oil changes for the Toyota fleet.
I have severely neglected many Toyota trucks in the past, abused the heck out of them, and they all ďtake a licking and keep on tickingĒ for over 170,000 miles or better with minimal maintenance. Canít beat the reliability of the brand in general.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Well...

So I decided between the Tundra and F150! LOVE the F150 looks! I found a great F150 for same price with same set up as the Tundra I want and was ready to head out for it.

"...Ford has one of the most advanced trucks out there, that doesn't always translate into long term reliability."

Problem threads were numerous. Even a salesman told me they start having issues with turbo at 125K miles.... Best friend who's a life long Ford guy said he'll never own another after his last F150 disaster!

R44
I wouldn't be so concerned about the F150 Forum. As was posted earlier, Ford has more trucks on the road then all the others combined, so yes, there are more issues reported. I had 130K on my 2012 EB with no issues...not unusual by the way....Toyota is a great truck no doubt...if you don't need the payload or want the mpg....go for it!
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
As I said earlier, at the risk of offending many brand diehards...

Toyota owners are be offended as their cars are called boring and appliances.
Ford owners are offended because they have a reputation of needing to be Fixed or Repaired Daily

Yet Toyota owners like to tout their reliability supremancy. And Ford owners their superior technology and specs.

It's a spectrum of truths. A single anecdotal success or failure with a Ford does not prove anything. Yet those reputations have come from time tested realities.

Fortunately, we all have a choice. Unfortunately, there's no single best of everything.

I like your buddies quote - "If you're going to use the truck to do truck things, get the Tundra."

For my vacations, beast of burdens, primary transportation vehicle... steadfast reliability is a primary factor. I choose Toyota's (and Lexus).

I like toys too and my primary expectations are the experience. So there I choose German. These do not hold a candle (not even close) in reliability to a Toyota. Nor do I expect them to.

To the OP, it's your choice as to your priorities and where you want to be in the spectrum. Perhaps Ford is a good middle ground for you. I'd reflect that with again, your potentially high expectations for reliability set forth by your previous Toyotas.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I wouldn't be so concerned about the F150 Forum. As was posted earlier, Ford has more trucks on the road then all the others combined, so yes, there are more issues reported. I had 130K on my 2012 EB with no issues...not unusual by the way....Toyota is a great truck no doubt...if you don't need the payload or want the mpg....go for it!
Anecdotal.

These TWO brand new examples being reviewed are anecdotal too. A bit embarrassing, but I'm not reading between the lines. I'm sure there's many reliable ones.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/06/re-...ng-test-video/

Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Quartzsite , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
. As was posted earlier, Ford has more trucks on the road then all the others combined, so yes, there are more issues reported. :
Sold units doesn't mean much as many Fords are bought as fleet or government trucks also many trade in on a 3 year cycle as well so that adds to the numbers... I'd be surprised if any government agencies of fleet business buy Tundras. So Tundra/F150 consumer numbers may be closer.

Ford guys I conversed with routinely trade in at 100K miles or 3-5 years so don't care about 10-20 years down the road...

Believe me; I WANT the new F150 FX4 based on appearance, tech and test drive! I'm a sucker for new tech but think I'm more suited for a more reliable truck at this point..

Thanks,

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Sold units doesn't mean much as many Fords are bought as fleet or government trucks also many trade in on a 3 year cycle as well so that adds to the numbers... I'd be surprised if any government agencies of fleet business buy Tundras. So Tundra/F150 consumer numbers may be closer.

Ford guys I conversed with routinely trade in at 100K miles or 3-5 years so don't care about 10-20 years down the road...

Believe me; I WANT the new F150 FX4 based on appearance, tech and test drive! I'm a sucker for new tech but think I'm more suited for a more reliable truck at this point..

Thanks,

R44
What ever you feel comfortable with..+ & - for all of them. Many of us who owned Ford's have had no issues.....just make sure you confirm the payload in that Toyota. or what ever you end up with.., if that's important?

Not sure any of us are thinking 10-20 years "down the road" of owning same pickup and towing the AS?? Maybe 10...but certainly not 20; I put 55K miles in just 18 months on my F250 already; but, will likely sell around 150K for something new...
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , California
May be I can help add some perspective.

Wife owned RX330 for 10 years. gave it to my mom. Flawless perfection still.

Weve had a Sienna for 11 years. Son is taking it when he returns from semester abroad. Flawless perfection.

Have a Chevy 1 ton dually class c. Part of the reason for moving away from RV is dealing with "American vehicle" syndrome.

We're going to get a 25 FC Fbt. We are going to get a f150 145" 3.5 eco 10 spd max tow. With trucks it comes down to torque and payload. Tundra went after different market. All contractor dudes in my hood have 150, 250 ,350.

Expect more issues with 150 but also reconcile that against huge service and after market support anywhere in n america.

Edit: from phone in cordoba.
Snerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Well...

R44
Sounds like you want the Tundra. Why donít you just go buy it? Itís a 22í... There are a couple Tundras and half a dozen F150s on my block, and they all start up and go to work every day and come home without problems. And I never see either one by the side of the highway and I drive 100 miles a day commute.

I would get off the Internet and go drive some trucks!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City beach , Florida
I’ve owned four F-150’s, one F-250 and my current F-350. The 150’s have been very reliable. Here’s a run down of the 150’s:

2004 5.4 no problems put around 50k miles
2008 5.4 belt tensioner bearing went bad at 40k owned for 60k
2010 6.2 no problems 50k miles
2013 3.5 no problems 110k miles averaged 18mpg!

Overall they’ve been very reliable. Only real complaint is the price! Love the level of technology and comfort. My current 350 is amazing!

2018 FC 27FB queen
2019 F350 CC SRW 6.7 Short Bed
Eagle Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hey snerf,
You're getting the exact same trailer and F-150 that I went with last summer, I mean exactly. It has been a great combo; and I have just loved driving my Ford F-150, with or without the trailer. The two things I didn't go for was the moon roof to keep payload down and the 4x4 wheel drive, but did opt for electronic lock RR axle.
PatLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Missoula , Montana
Well rounder it seems you are doing your due diligence. Here’s my 2 cents. I have two ecoboost engines, one in my van and one in my f150. All I’ve ever done is change the oil. The ecoboost 3.5 is ranked as one of the top 10 engines all time. Also my buddy is the A tech at the local ford dealer and he doesn’t see many 3.5 liter ecoboost with problems. But that’s one mans opinion at one dealer.

If you like the truck I’d just buy it. Not sure if you considered the safety aspect but the f150 has really high, maybe the highest, crash rating in the 1/2 ton category. I’d peruse YouTube for some crash tests and see how the other trucks fair.
The tundra is due for a redesign. Is it a great truck, yes. Is it old design wise? Yes.

Besides no one ever said I could use less power and the ecoboost delivers in spades in the power department. Lastly it’s the best selling vehicle in North America for a reason.

Lastly if you are a DIY guy the tundra oil change is a major PIA it takes no less then 10 different tools and a specialty oil filter wrench. 8 quarts of full synthetic oil as well. Food for thought .....

Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote