Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Maxeys , Georgia
Tow vehicle down!

We just bought new airstream in Austin. On the way back to Ga truck broke down. any suggestions on help getting trailer back to Ga? are there services for that? truck is in repair shop and don't know when will be ready. Not a member of Good Sam or AAA for RV.

Thanks for any help.
B. Stevens
maxeystevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
If you care about your baby and can afford it rent a truck. Once you put your prize possession in someone elses hands you are at the mercy of how they tow. I considered Uship on a lowboy and when I saw a car actually towed on a lowboy and a flatbed I quickly changed my mind...those well send shockwaves into your trailer like no other.
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tow vehicle down!

Greetings maxeystevens!

Welcome to the Forums and sorry to hear about the misfortune with your tow vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeystevens View Post
We just bought new airstream in Austin. On the way back to Ga truck broke down. any suggestions on help getting trailer back to Ga? are there services for that? truck is in repair shop and don't know when will be ready. Not a member of Good Sam or AAA for RV.

Thanks for any help.
B. Stevens
Another option might be to contact an RV dealer near where your Airstream is located. Ask for the new vehicle sales manager or general manager and inqure whether they have any new deliveries being made by "contractors". You may be able to work out a deal with a "contractor" who is delivering a new trailer and is heading East without a load. Particularly if the dealer handles Airstream or another premium make, you might find a contractor who is aware of the higher expectations of customers purchasing a premium make.

Good luck in resolving your transportation needs.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
I bought a 29 Sovereign and then my borrowed truck fell thru. I put the load on u ship and got many good offers and took the one I thought looked best. I cannot say enough good things about the guy that brought the trailer. He had a late model diesel dually and was professional and kept me updated as to progress and eta. He did a 7 hour trip for about 450 bucks . Seems like a good option to me.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Carver , Massachusetts
Just less than a year ago I too dealt with a broken down truck far from home with the Airstream behind it. U-Haul did offer a 16' (if I remember right) van with a 2" receiver and brake controller. The price to rent I recall as being pretty reasonable as well. I wound up canceling the rental as I was incorrectly told by the dealer that had my truck that I'd be repaired in three days and not the month or so that it wound up taking, so my experiences with the U-Haul route only go as far as the reservation. Good luck.
etobolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another option is to find a campground or dealer that will let you store your trailer (for a small fee) till you TV is fixed.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote