Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Rochester , New Hampshire
Touring NY from RI and back to NH

We are planning a 11 day trip from Narragansett, RI through New York and back to the New Hampshire seacoast.

Where do you recommend we visit, camp, eat-out? Please let us know your recommendations for Must-See places.

Thank you!

Kristine

WBCCI # 5971
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
We are planning a 11 day trip from Narragansett, RI through New York and back to the New Hampshire seacoast.

Where do you recommend we visit, camp, eat-out? Please let us know your recommendations for Must-See places.

Thank you!

Kristine
Any NY Airstreamers or other campers who have traveled through this territory who could give some suggestions of where to go or what to avoid?

We are considering the Catskills, onto Letchfield and back through the Adirondacks.

Thank you!

WBCCI # 5971
Old 08-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
New York

Kristine:

My wife and I just completed such a trip in July. We left Manchester NH and stayed on Grand Isle in lake Champlain for two nights. We then took the ferry across the lake to Platsburgh, NY and on to a great KOA on the Au Sable River near lake Placid. We left the Adirandocks for Cooperstown, NY, and had a great visit there. From Cooperstown, we went over to Seneca Falls and visited many of the great NY Vineyards. From Seneca Falls we traveled to Lake George and explored Fort Ticonderoga. From Lake George we came home. We stayed two nights in every location. We are definately going back.

Have fun.

Mark BTW do you see the Airstream?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	43585  
Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
Kristine:

My wife and I just completed such a trip in July. We left Manchester NH and stayed on Grand Isle in lake Champlain for two nights. We then took the ferry across the lake to Platsburgh, NY and on to a great KOA on the Au Sable River near lake Placid. We left the Adirandocks for Cooperstown, NY, and had a great visit there. From Cooperstown, we went over to Seneca Falls and visited many of the great NY Vineyards. From Seneca Falls we traveled to Lake George and explored Fort Ticonderoga. From Lake George we came home. We stayed two nights in every location. We are definately going back.

Have fun.

Mark BTW do you see the Airstream?
WOW! Mark, that is such an awesome picture! I love it!

Yes, this sounds very similar to the trip we are coordinating. Cooperstown is on the list of must-dos. Do you think 2 nights at each location was enough? We are waivering on 2 or 3. Did you book your reservations ahead of time and did you stay in any of the state parks?

Thank you for sharing your story. We are trying to hit all the hotspots knowing that a second trip will already have to be on the agenda - there appears to be so much to see and do in this area!

Regards,
Kristine
WBCCI # 5971
Old 08-20-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
NY trip

Kristine,

We made reservations for the campground on grand isle because it was the 4th of July week. Other than that, we just called ahead. BTW the pricture is of our trailer. Another Airstreamer took that picture from the campground on Grand Isle. If you look real close, you can see my wife and I waving from the front of the boat.

We did not stay at any state parks. We drove through several, and the parks in the Adirondacks are just beautiful. I think you need to reserve those ahead of time "on line".

I think 2 nights is enough at Cooperstown. You will see all that you need to see in one full day, unless you are an avid baseball fan. You will need more time in the Adirondacks. Much to see and explore there.

We could have spent more time in Seneca Falls. We rushed through the Wineries, spend an afternoon at the glass museum in Corning and blasted through Watkins Glen. We need to spend more time there also.

We were just a week before the races at Saratoga. If I were to go now, I definately take in a race there. The town of Saratoga Springs is absolutely georgous. I need to spend more time there.

Have fun planning and have a great visit.

Mark
Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
That campground on Grand Isle is real nice and quiet too. Several years ago we stayed there on our shakedown trip (we are just across the lake north of Plattsburgh). The ferry ride is always scenic!

Must See's in NY:

Blue Mountain Lake/Raquette Lake area. Adirondack Museum. We were there a month or so ago and stayed at Thornbush Acres campground. Small but very nice and quiet. If you go to the area, make reservations for a dinner cruise on the WW Durant on Raquette Lake. Pricey but excellent food and scenery.

This past weekend we went to the thoroughbred races at Saratoga Springs - what a great place! Try not to miss it. Stayed at Saratoga RV Park - it was OK but dusty/sandy.

Lake Placid is always nice - too many restaurants to mention.

Watkins Glen (the gorge) - Wow, what a place! Seneca Lake Dinner Cruise, Wineries, nearby Corning Glass Museum - great trip, stayed at Watkins Glen KOA which was OK, but not great. That should keep you busy in NY for a while.

Enjoy your trip.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
When is your trip?

When is the trip across. We're in central NY and have Courtesy parking. We have a great Antique Car Museum in our town and are close to Cooperstown. Give us a shout!
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Consider Burlington, VT

Loved the ferry photo!

Consider visiting Burlington, Vermont. The North Beach Campground is on the east shore of Lake Champlain, less than a mile from downtown via a bike path or car. The campground is on a hill about a 3 minute walk from the beach. Campground
I'd recommend checking ahead about reservations, as it is very popular, especially on weekends. Full hookup sites are available and fairly roomy. The electric sites tend to be more crowded. Showers are 50cents.

Downtown Burlington is very close and is always hopping with a pedestrial mall, lots of shops and restaurants, and entertainment including street musicians and jugglers and many special events by Lake Champlain. The Shelburne Museum is just south of town. You might consider a dinner cruise on the Lake, Northern Lights Lake Champlain Cruises.

I'll attach photos of the beach, the full-hookup line up (Airstream barely visible toward the end of the line), and a view 'out our back door' (that's the lake and New York in the distance). A ferry also operates between Burlington and Port Kent, NY but it is a much longer ride than the Grand Isle ferry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NrthBeach_N0210.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	43637   Click image for larger version

Name:	NrthBeachHookUps_N0232.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	43638  

Name:	BackDoor_N0225.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	43639  
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
Kristine,

We made reservations for the campground on grand isle because it was the 4th of July week. Other than that, we just called ahead. BTW the pricture is of our trailer. Another Airstreamer took that picture from the campground on Grand Isle. If you look real close, you can see my wife and I waving from the front of the boat.

We did not stay at any state parks. We drove through several, and the parks in the Adirondacks are just beautiful. I think you need to reserve those ahead of time "on line".

I think 2 nights is enough at Cooperstown. You will see all that you need to see in one full day, unless you are an avid baseball fan. You will need more time in the Adirondacks. Much to see and explore there.

We could have spent more time in Seneca Falls. We rushed through the Wineries, spend an afternoon at the glass museum in Corning and blasted through Watkins Glen. We need to spend more time there also.

We were just a week before the races at Saratoga. If I were to go now, I definately take in a race there. The town of Saratoga Springs is absolutely georgous. I need to spend more time there.

Have fun planning and have a great visit.

Mark
Thank you, Mark. This is helpful information. We are not huge baseball fans and I would rather spend more time elsewhere if we can. There is a fair of some kind the weekend of the 15th we were considering, but maybe we will spend more time at the Finger Lakes instead. We are now leaning towards not making any reservations and therefore not feeling obligated to be anywhere on a specific day.

I zoomed in on that photo and clearly saw the wave. That ferry photo is a treasure for sure!

Kristine
WBCCI # 5971
Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by romap
That campground on Grand Isle is real nice and quiet too. Several years ago we stayed there on our shakedown trip (we are just across the lake north of Plattsburgh). The ferry ride is always scenic!

Must See's in NY:

Blue Mountain Lake/Raquette Lake area. Adirondack Museum. We were there a month or so ago and stayed at Thornbush Acres campground. Small but very nice and quiet. If you go to the area, make reservations for a dinner cruise on the WW Durant on Raquette Lake. Pricey but excellent food and scenery.

This past weekend we went to the thoroughbred races at Saratoga Springs - what a great place! Try not to miss it. Stayed at Saratoga RV Park - it was OK but dusty/sandy.

Lake Placid is always nice - too many restaurants to mention.

Watkins Glen (the gorge) - Wow, what a place! Seneca Lake Dinner Cruise, Wineries, nearby Corning Glass Museum - great trip, stayed at Watkins Glen KOA which was OK, but not great. That should keep you busy in NY for a while.

Enjoy your trip.
Ron, thank you for the info on the KOA's. We definitely have Watkins Glen on the list of must-do. We hadn't considered the races, but will now be looking into that.

Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate you taking the time to share!

Kristine
WBCCI # 5971
Old 08-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
When is the trip across. We're in central NY and have Courtesy parking. We have a great Antique Car Museum in our town and are close to Cooperstown. Give us a shout!
Rob, are you still planning a forum rally on the 15th and 16th? We don't know exactly when we will be in your area, but your offer of courtesy parking is calling to me. Is the car museum the Northeast Classic Cars or is this a different one? The museum was one of the options on our lists of sights.

Kristine
WBCCI # 5971
Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDandTTs
Loved the ferry photo!

Consider visiting Burlington, Vermont. The North Beach Campground is on the east shore of Lake Champlain, less than a mile from downtown via a bike path or car. The campground is on a hill about a 3 minute walk from the beach. Campground
I'd recommend checking ahead about reservations, as it is very popular, especially on weekends. Full hookup sites are available and fairly roomy. The electric sites tend to be more crowded. Showers are 50cents.

Downtown Burlington is very close and is always hopping with a pedestrial mall, lots of shops and restaurants, and entertainment including street musicians and jugglers and many special events by Lake Champlain. The Shelburne Museum is just south of town. You might consider a dinner cruise on the Lake, Northern Lights Lake Champlain Cruises.

I'll attach photos of the beach, the full-hookup line up (Airstream barely visible toward the end of the line), and a view 'out our back door' (that's the lake and New York in the distance). A ferry also operates between Burlington and Port Kent, NY but it is a much longer ride than the Grand Isle ferry.
Dianne, thank you for reminding me to include a few days in VT. The bike route is something we really need to consider as we are leaning towards bikes rather than bringing a car with us. Great photos and the links help me from having to search the places down. Thank you so much!

Kristine
WBCCI # 5971
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I Love NY

[quote=Eddy]

We are considering the Catskills, onto Letchfield and back through the Adirondacks.

Thank you![/quot
Weve spent considerable time in the Adirondacks, my wife's family is from Cold Brook NY just outside the park on Rt.8. The attached photo is from the State Park at Piseco Lake, many great vacations spent there, fish'n pretty good too!! Try to spend some time at the Adirondack Museum on Rt 30 in Blue Mt. Lake. They have a wonderful collection of historical photographs of the area.(Seneca Ray Stoddard). Letchworth State Park is also a Great place to visit, dinner at the Blue Iris Inn is a wonderful experience. Of course we wouldn't be New Yorker's if we left out Niagara Falls, a must see if your in NY.
Hope you enjoy the trip, take lots of pic's and keep us posted!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STREAM'N%20IN%20THE%20ADIRONDACKS%201.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	43657  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #14
Classic 325 MH

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
[quote=ROBERT CROSS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy

Thank you![/quot
Weve spent considerable time in the Adirondacks, my wife's family is from Cold Brook NY just outside the park on Rt.8. The attached photo is from the State Park at Piseco Lake, many great vacations spent there, fish'n pretty good too!! Try to spend some time at the Adirondack Museum on Rt 30 in Blue Mt. Lake. They have a wonderful collection of historical photographs of the area.(Seneca Ray Stoddard). Letchworth State Park is also a Great place to visit, dinner at the Blue Iris Inn is a wonderful experience. Of course we wouldn't be New Yorker's if we left out Niagara Falls, a must see if your in NY.
Hope you enjoy the trip, take lots of pic's and keep us posted!!!
Yes, it is Letchworth - my error there - that we want to be sure to stay at. We aren't sure we will make it to Niagra this trip, but presently it is still on the "must-see" list. Maybe we should make reservations at Letchworth. The photos we have seen look beautiful. There are just so many locations we want to stay at and not enough time to fit them all in!

Thank you for your post and for the photo. We leave in 16 days and I can hardly wait!

Kristine

WBCCI # 5971