Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Toronto, Ont. To Stugis SD any interesting routes

We leave Aug 4th to drive to Sturgis, SD to attend the Harley Davison Rally ( my husbands dream and his anniversary gift). This is our first big trip towing a new to us 30 ft AS Classic. Our TV is a 2012 VW Tourag turbo diesel. We will camp at a KOA in Spearfish SD for 3 nights.
We plan on stopping at Walmarts along I90. We wonder if anyone has done this route and can offer suggestions re: alternate interesting routes, places worth visiting.
We will continue to Santa Rosa, California to arrive by Sept 5. My husband likes serendipitous travel, I like a little planning. Any suggestions on what routes to avoid.
Love our AS
carol1farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Instead of a Walmart stay at the Cabelas in Mitchel, SD. They have a big rv lot. We've stayed at the Spearfish koa and think it's pretty good got a koa.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Carol,

We were in the Hill City/Spearfish/Deadwood area two weeks ago, which we reached via I-90. We've been out that way before.

There are numerous campgrounds along I-90 that cater to overnight visitors in your situation that are reasonably priced and may offer an improvement over Walmart. I would suggest Checkers Welcome as being one convenient, inexpensive stop. There are several campgrounds in Mitchell though we have not stayed there. On our recent trip, we stayed at the Army Corps of Engineers facility in Lake Sharpe, which I would recommend, reasonably priced and no reservations necessary except on holiday weekends. It is about 30 miles off I-90 at Chamberlain. Quiet lakefront sites, and about a day's drive from Sturgis.

The drive through the Badlands is worthwhile if you like geology and unusual topography, but I would suggest doing it either on the way there or back, not both. The southern part of the Badlands east of Red Shirt is rarely traveled and just as pretty as the part where you have to pay money to drive through.

We've stayed at the Sioux Falls fairgrounds for special events. It is open to all comers when there's nothing else scheduled, full hookups, reasonable rates, might be something to consider

Absolutely nothing around Chicago although a few airforums members offer courtesy parking
Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Have you got a list of the towns along your route with Walmarts, and their phone numbers? Just to make sure they're where you want them; and that they do, in fact, allow overnight camping. Although the Walmart corp. seems to approve camping throughout the US, some municipalities don't allow it. Apparently truck stops and Cracker Barrel restaurants are other options for people who prefer this type of "camping."

You might get a Good Sam guide and think about calling ahead to a few more scenic camping spots, as August is a super busy vacation time for many RV parks and state parks.

When we lived in southern Ontario, we generally took the border Sarnia crossing to avoid Windsor-Detroit.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Suggest you stay somewhat South of Chicago to avoid the traffic in that area. Also, there are toll roads in and around that area which may be of consideration. If no electronic pass, you have to pull over and pay. Not a big deal, but takes a few minutes, so allow for a bit slower pace.

On the way to Santa Rosa, you can take Interstate South and West if you are in a hurry or go to Portland and enjoy the Columbia on the way to HW101 down the coast, which would add some nice scenery to the trip. There is a reasonably priced KOA at the locks on the other side of the Dalles. There are some threads that discuss good RV park options on the coast that should help for that route. If you take I80, there is a nice park "Iron Horse" in Elko and if Passport America is one of your travel options the "New Frontier" in Winnemucca is nice.

Good luck on your trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
You can avoid Chicago if you enter the state's at Sault Ste Marie, work west across the upper peninsula of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, to South Dakota. Michigan offers mining history for copper and iron, cooler temperatures, local flavor of pasties, fresh water fresh fish. Wisconsin and Minnesota likewise offer unique history. The rural two lane roads are far less crowded than the freeways across the lower peninsula, have no tolls, like the Chicago area, and do not induce stress.

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Frisco, CO/Scottsdale, AZ , Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post
You can avoid Chicago if you enter the state's at Sault Ste Marie, work west across the upper peninsula of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, to South Dakota. Michigan offers mining history for copper and iron, cooler temperatures, local flavor of pasties, fresh water fresh fish. Wisconsin and Minnesota likewise offer unique history. The rural two lane roads are far less crowded than the freeways across the lower peninsula, have no tolls, like the Chicago area, and do not induce stress.

Tom
TVKetchum
I second what Tom says. This was the way we crossed to Toronto last year. Gorgeous and so easy.

We've traveled across the country on all the Interstates from North to South and East to West. My advice to you if you want a really memorable trip is to take them only when necessary. You can use US highways most of the time and so many are now 4-lane divided.

When you cross at Sault Ste Marie drop South and pick up US 2 to go West and stay above Lake Superior. You can drop South to I 90 easily at Minneapolis or Fargo.

There are many options besides dreary Walmart parking lots so do a little research near your anticipated stopping points.
Hal-Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
SOMERS point , New Jersey
Thumbs up

We just completed a route like the one you are intending. Try the International Peace Garden campsites or Lake Metagochi State Park in North Dakota. Then head over to T. Rooselvelt National Park but stay at Sully Creek State Park in Medora, ND. If you have the time, the Enchanted Highway is something to check out. We stayed at the Spearfish County Municipal Park. Bear Butte State Park was another good spot for the night.
Have a great trip. Safe travels.
Laundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Gillette, WY is not that far from Sturgis and you should definitely do a side trip to Spotted Horse, WY, a regular destination for the biker crowd. Great burgers.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
When in the Sturgis area, drive the Needles Highway near Mt Rushmore in your Toureg (without the trailer). It's a beautiful drive.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Driving around the "toe" of Lake Michigan and Chicago expressway traffic is best avoided during rush hour if that's even possible. It starts in Indiana and continues through the northwestern suburbs. Not only the toll booths, but congestion-- often aggravated by construction. The northern route is longer, but more scenic
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
STstudios

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Wixom , Michigan
Hi Carol,

I have traveled from Detroit. Michigan to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally the last 5 years for work. I produce a calendar for The Legendary Buffalo Chip (largest venue in Sturgis and host to ALL the big concerts!) Scheduled this year: Willie Nelson, Kid Rock, Miranda Lambert, Lynyrd Skynyrd and many more. It's their 35th Anniversary at the Chip. Be happy you didn't attend last year (Sturgis's 75th Anniversary and extremely crowded!!!) You should definitely check them out or camp there (free concerts with RV spot). Will you be bringing a motorcycle?

Here's a route I would suggest as we filmed a pilot for a Travel TV Show to Sturgis.

Our starting point with the Mothership (Airstream Factory in Jackson Center, OH)

Airstream Factory (Jackson Center, OH)
Green Field Village/Henry Ford Museum (Dearborn, MI)
SS Badger Steam Ship across Lake Michigan (Ludington, MI)
Harley-Davidson Museum (Milwaukee, WI)
National Motorcycle Museum (Anamosa, IA)
Badlands National Park (Interior, SD)
Wall Drugs (Wall, SD)
Sturgis, SD
Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park)
Deadwood, SD
Devils Tower, WY

Steam Ship across Lake Michigan on the SS Badger takes 4 hours and must be booked in advance (you may still be able to get a spot if you call now) SS Badger in Ludington, MI - arriving in Manitowoc, WI. You can then take I-90 across or head south to H-D Museum and that route we took.

Good luck and safe travels. Unfortunately I won't be attending Sturgis this year - but will be back the following year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SturgisAdventure_Route.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	267939   Click image for larger version

Name:	35-BuffaloChip.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	267940  

Name:	Dali_SDsunset_0352c1w.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	267941   Click image for larger version

Name:	01_SamSierraCover-w.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	267942  

STstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
STstudios

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Wixom , Michigan
Also Happy Anniversary!

SS Badger Info: http://www.ssbadger.com
Old 07-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvketchum View Post

Tom
TVKetchum
^^ We did this route in June (primarily on US-2). Good advice! ^^
We never made a reservation. When we were ready to stop for the night we always found something nearby. Google, Garmin, or campgroundreviews.com always pointed us in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Thumbs up Thanks to all for advice, suggestions and routes

Thank you all for sharinging your experiences, advice, suggestions and routes.
This has made my excitement grow even more, if that could be possible.
My husband Dan is now on board with doing a bit of planning and I have been convinced that Walmarts are our last choice for a good nights sleep.
Skip, that route you sent that includes the ferry crossing is brilliant. I would like to take that route there and the other suggestions of Sault Ste Marie route back in the fall as the colours may be showing.
If you could see me now you would see a granny jumping up and down with excitement, like a two year old. ( I tried to use a smiley face from group on side, but did not work).
We spent yesterday cleaning the AS and taking out "stuff". We did leave the blow up pool in for those hot, hot, summer days

Thanks again. Carol
carol1farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #16
STstudios

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Wixom , Michigan
Sturgis

Hi Carol,

I'll check on a route coming back through Wisconsin into the upper peninsula of Michigan via Sault Ste Marie on your way back.

Definitely bring your blow up pool! During the day Sturgis can get into the high 90's - 100 (32 - 38+ C) and at night it will drop to the upper 40's - 50's (4-10 C)!!! Crazy!!! Which is why they call it the badlands out there!

Have a great trip and enjoy your anniversary!

Here's a pic of us enjoying our pool on a 100+ degree day!!!

Sam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sturgis_Pool_2796w.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	267996  
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #17
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Toronto, Ont. To Stugis SD any interesting routes

For the SS Badger Ferry, enter at Port Huron MI via the Blue Water Bridge and head west to Ludington. Check the schedule, know your rigs overall length, and make reservations. In the Upper Peninsula, US 2 offers much to see, but M28 is a little quicker and a whole lot straighter, and meets US 2 just before the Wisconsin line. Either way, you will be glad you stayed away from Interstate 94, 80, and 90 with the traffic and tolls.....

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote