Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If a tornado hits, you *do not* want to be at that location. With in their range, they are incredibly destructive. Going under ground is the only real solution I've seen that is "likely to work".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
If we are traveling and there is the threat of bad weather, I always ask when checking in where to go in bad weather. A few parks actually have a tornado shelter. But, you need to ask ahead of time.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tornadoes?

Yup. Plan, know, and practice.

Carry a radio capable of receiving weather warnings, and use it regularly each day.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #24
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We talked to a couple who traveled East last year. They dodged several storms and left in the middle of the night from one location that was hit by a tornado after they left. They monitored a Ham weather channel to get the warning that got them moving in time to avoid a very bad event. So keep the coach hooked up. Monitor the weather channels. Be flexible in your travel route and schedule.

This site can help you plan a route with less potential for storms.

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2016/04/0...united-states/

Enjoy your adventure. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
1) Keep your NOAA radio on, and nearby at all times whilst in tornado country.
2) Don't attempt to drive out if sustained winds are over 35mph.
3) Keep a 5 gallon jug, filled daily to keep it fresh, with water.

Last but not least, keep three or more chickens around. Tie one to the trailer, one to the TV, and you get to hang on the last chicken. Why chickens you ask? It's simple; in any twister movie, have you seen a chicken get swept away? No, you see cows, pigs, semi's, dually pick up trucks, trailers, barns, houses, all flying around, but no chickens. Chickens I can only surmize have a natural way of dealing with tornados.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
You're deductive reasoning seems perfectly clear to me. Ever thought about your own cult?[emoji6]
3.31 Diff. and Tow Package
Flo - '12 AS International Serenity M-30'
Dlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
---snip---

Last but not least, keep three or more chickens around. Tie one to the trailer, one to the TV, and you get to hang on the last chicken. Why chickens you ask? It's simple; in any twister movie, have you seen a chicken get swept away? No, you see cows, pigs, semi's, dually pick up trucks, trailers, barns, houses, all flying around, but no chickens. Chickens I can only surmize have a natural way of dealing with tornados.
That's just science right there! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
Not a tornado but some sort of a micro burst in ME a couple weeks ago. We were at a secluded campground way in the boonies, no one but the wife and me.

It started getting dark so we picked up all the loose stuff and put them away. Got darker and my wife says she saw a small funnel coming across the lake. I saw water going straight up!

We ran for the Airstream and just made it inside when the wind hit. All the open windows were blown closed and we raced to lock them. The magic vents would not close as the wind held them up.

Big branches came down and a tree came down behind us. The wind was blowing the trailer, rocking it back and forth. We came out unscathed but now have about a dozen dents in the side of our 2017 27 FB. :-(

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Minneapolis , MN
Saw this one in early August while towing through eastern Wyoming! A bit unnerving g to say the least! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1542.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	320303
augopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Was watching a weather video that had a pair of Tornado Chasers who were dropping sensors to gather data when they passed under an overpass where folks were sheltering. The comment was "That is not safe. They should not do that." A short time later they returned to find folks in distress.

There is a classic video that shows people sheltering under an overpass when a small twister passes over. They get up in between the girders to block the force of of the wind. However, the comments after suggest that a bigger tornado might well have pulled them out and into the storm. Consequently, overpasses may be good for hail and not so good for tornadoes. So, back to the muddy ditch solution?

Anyone have better information?

Old 08-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm going for the overpass.
You won't find me laying in a ditch because they flood with nasty rains, then what?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #31
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
It is true that floods kill more folks than any other type of natural event, but maybe not so much water filling ditches in a tornado. Suspect the water is flying horizontal so fast that it can't make it to the ground.

Might be better to move down the road to a shelter. The average speed of a Tornado is 30 mph with a range from 0-70 mph, so it should be possible to get and stay out of the way if you can see one headed your direction. That is at least one reason to hunker down in a safe location before dark. Pat
Old 04-06-2019, 06:07 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This was in the Post this morning, along with this handy where/where not to seek shelter...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.936314e8c64e

Good information and guidelines.

We evacuated to a stall in a cement block bathhouse a couple of years ago, slogging thru ankle deep water to get there, but were the only people there.

Stay safe.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	801BBD65-158F-419F-9091-9F745F52A8B9.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	337439