Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just some notes on NOAA coverage. A few years back, the feds pumped some money into the system. Older radios have 7 channels (frequencies) and, as I recall, national coverage was somewhere in the upper 60th% of the area of the nation. Can't remember what year the system got expanded, but my newer NOAA radios (wx) have 10 channels. I recall reading that coverage is now in the upper 90th% of the area of the country. They are cheap, and well worth the money. Everyone should have sevreral. An automatic one (AC/DC), in the house and one in the trailer. I even carry a small unit on my wildrness canoe trips. It's rar that I can't get a signal....sometimes it's fuzzy or I have to get to high ground, but it's understandable

Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #44

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
On NOAA weather radios: I haven't read up on these in a long time, because I have OCD issues about weather and since I've been able to pull local weather reports on my phone I haven't really thought about the NOAA radios. Now that I have a trailer, I'm likely to go more places where my phone's data service is poor or nonexistent, so I did a little research.

There's a feature in some of the nicer new radios that's good for home use, and terrible for travel use. It's called SAME, for Specific Area Message Encoding. Be careful in buying a travel weather radio to find one that either doesn't offer this or allows you to switch it off, because if you set the SAME encoding for counties around your home, those are the ONLY alerts you'll receive, even if you're traveling halfway across the country. In typically software geek fashion, "it's a feature!"

Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Here in south west Florida we have no basements or cellars. We do have a culvert by the house so a couple times a year I go clean it out and make sure I can still fit into it. I don't want to get in it in an emergency, but I have very little choice.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I was just thinking about what to do when faced with natural disasters. I grew up in a relatively safe place and have no training as to what to do if confronted by something like a tornado.
I am not sure I'd have the courage to get out of my vehicle if I was driving and one landed on the road. Yikes.
Lots to think about/worry about. I don't want to get paranoid but I am glad to know a little about the ideas behind what to do...
I just downloaded the radarscope app. That is one cool little app.! I'm going to also invest in a battery operated/crystal radio type also b/c if the cell towers go out then I may not be able to view this nifty app. on my phone.
Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
I am not sure I'd have the courage to get out of my vehicle if I was driving and one landed on the road. Yikes.
Rae, there are no good solutions when a tornado is bearing down on you and you have no chance of driving out of the way. You just try to cut your losses by choosing the best bad choice.

Gene
Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I may have posted this before but here is the site that I have been using for our 6,000 mile trip so far: CWSU National TAF METAR maps - NOAA NWS

I also bought a "Voyager" radio that has (had) the 7 weather channels but the darn thing quit. What is the recommended weather radio that I can purchase? Thanks-

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
I use a handheld scanner. It has all the weather channels and public service channels in a compact and sturdy unit.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #50

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I may have posted this before but here is the site that I have been using for our 6,000 mile trip so far: CWSU National TAF METAR maps - NOAA NWS

I also bought a "Voyager" radio that has (had) the 7 weather channels but the darn thing quit. What is the recommended weather radio that I can purchase? Thanks-

Pap
This is the one I'm thinking about. It has the S.A.M.E. feature I mentioned above, but it has a "Travel" mode that disables the SAME functionality so you receive all alerts.

Costco - OSI WR602 Portable Emergency NOAA Public Alert Weather Radio
Old 04-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Many thanks, that looks like the one I need. Appreciate it.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #52

1987 27' Sovereign
Council Hill , Oklahoma
Not always an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
If you were camped in a campground and word of a tornado was close, and no real shelter was available, would you stick it out in your AS or get in your TV and buckle up?
All the other answers considered, when you are on flat land, like myself, without a ditch in sight, or a bridge, or anything else except a tractor to hide under, then what do you do? I'm currently staying in the Airstream in a very windy, tornado prone area. The trailer has survived 90 mph winds without a nudge. Of course it is one of the older round models, not a squarish one.
I think the gentleman was asking: Given a choice with staying in the airstream or going outside with a tornado heading towards you 100 yards away, with no where to go, what do you do? It could easily happen here.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tornado question

After living in northern Alabama, which is the tail end of tornado alley, the best place to be is in a very solid building basement. Failing that, get out and away from the AS and into as low a spot as you can find. A ditch, a culvert, whatever doesn't stick up. The higher you are the more danger you are in.

Had plenty of near-misses in Alabama. It's not fun being caught out in the open without real shelter. Any vehicle will get lifted, rolled or tossed. Stay out of RV, TV, AS because they are deadly to be in with tornados on the ground.

Our sad joke was be ready to kiss your butt goodby if you are in a trailer. It seems they attract tornados.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Most campgrounds designate the bathroom/shower buildings as storm shelters....cement walls, etc.

Get in there, and huddle down, if that is all that is available.

The office at the campground you are staying in will tell you where is the safest place to go.

Maggie
Old 12-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
In ground pool during a tornado

Where we camp at an older campground, I would not go into those buildings for protection. They are not safe since they were built before storm tying was part of the building code. There is no ditch nearby to provide protection. I told my wife and a few neighbors that the safest place during a tornado would be in the in ground swimming pool, staying as close to the pool wall as possible.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I had good visibility, (daylight, etc.) and I have enough time, I am going to defy the expert advise and try to drive away from the tornado.

Right or wrong, that is my plan.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote