Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Very true, very true, but scientists have confirmed the feathers do have an aerodynamic spoiler effect to aid in a flightless trajectory
You are possibly referring to the apocryphal story about when the US Air Force was having problems with bird strikes on aircraft canopies, and turned to the RAF for assistance. The RAF had supposedly developed a "chicken cannon" to launch birds at cockpits to test armored windshield materials such as Lexan, which was a pretty new material at the time.

The USAF scientists built a chicken cannon of their own, but for some reason every bird shot at their canopy materials punched right through. When they asked the RAF what they were doing wrong, the RAF boffins asked, "Where did you get the birds?" The USAF scientists replied, "The grocery store, why?" A light bulb went off in the RAF boffins' heads, and they asked, "Did you thaw them first?"

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I stumbled across this story about Kansas installing tornado shelters along the Kansas Turnpike. It seemed apropos to the discussion.

https://weather.com/safety/tornado/n...rnado-shelters

Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You are possibly referring to the apocryphal story about when the US Air Force was having problems with bird strikes on aircraft canopies, and turned to the RAF for assistance. The RAF had supposedly developed a "chicken cannon" to launch birds at cockpits to test armored windshield materials such as Lexan, which was a pretty new material at the time.

The USAF scientists built a chicken cannon of their own, but for some reason every bird shot at their canopy materials punched right through. When they asked the RAF what they were doing wrong, the RAF boffins asked, "Where did you get the birds?" The USAF scientists replied, "The grocery store, why?" A light bulb went off in the RAF boffins' heads, and they asked, "Did you thaw them first?"
Protagonist:

You knowledge continues to amaze me.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #32
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

A light bulb went off in the RAF boffins' heads, and they asked, "Did you thaw them first?"
As an expat Brit myself. that's funny.

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
As an expat Brit myself. that's funny.
When I first heard that story, it was the other way around, with the RAF consulting the USAF. But funny stories are always funniest when you poke fun at yourself, and my dad was ex-USAF, so that's the way he always told it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote