2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Tornado Avoidance Strategies?

Stay out of Kansas?

Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I've lived in tornado country almost all of my 73 years, and have yet to see one, except in photographs or TV spots. It could be for one of two reasons:

1. When there's a tornado warning, I take shelter; I don't go out looking for it.

2. Tornadoes are very, very isolated events, and I've been lucky.

In spite of the news coverage tornadoes generate, you actually can cross Tornado Alley in complete safety at almost any time of year. I commend your seeking for knowledge of the safety precautions, but please don't let this cancel your travel plans out of fear.

A tornado is one of the possible results of a severe thunderstorm, so when there's no thunderstorm, there's no chance of a tornado. Other features of such storms probably cause more damage--hail, lightning, straight-line winds, etc., because those happen much more often.

Also, tornadoes can happen in any part of this country. There's even one in history--that's what caused the British army to evacuate Washington, DC during the war of 1812. They had taken the city, burned the White House, and planned to stay. A small tornado through their camp convinced them to go elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Tornado facts and myths

Here is some information I found on tornadoes. The link takes you to some other facts/myths. I had always heard about opening windows and using the SE corner of the basement; both myths. Here's some more:

https://www.wunderground.com/resourc...nado_myths.asp

• "Tornadoes don't happen in the mountains"
    MYTH
    Tornadoes are not diverted by any structure or terrain. Tornadoes have been documented in the mountains, including damage from an F-3 above 10,000 feet
  • "Tornadoes won't cross over rivers or other bodies of water."
    MYTH It doesn't matter what's in front of it - a tornado will pass over or through it. For example, the Natchez, Mississippi tornado of 1840 traveled directly down the Mississippi, killing hundreds of people.

• "If you're in your car on the road when a tornado is approaching, hiding under an overpass is your safest bet."
    MYTH
    This is probably the worst tornado myth. Taking shelter under an overpass is one of the most dangerous things you can do when a tornado is approaching. The reason has to do with the way the tornado's winds could potentially interact with the bridge structure. At the very least, taking shelter under an overpass puts you at a higher elevation with no protection from debris and winds.
More information on tornadoes and overpasses:
http://www.weathersafety.ohio.gov/tornadosafety.aspx

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I'm getting so concerned with hail lately that I decided to rearrange my garage and found that I can fit my new Ram 2500 in the garage now. I'm going to leave my Mom's 2004 Honda Civic outside. The Airstream is in paid covered storage already.
I would check the weather reports and when there is a clear 3 day window then drive through the Mid West as fast as you can.

Kelvin
Old 04-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pinehurst , North Carolina
Again, thanks to everyone for your perspectives and advice. I gleaned a lot of good info!

As for staying out of Kansas.....about 10 years ago, my husband and I were traveling to Colorado (in early June). We were zipping along I-70 when the skies turned really dark for that time of day. So we decided to get off the road and find a place for the evening. (These were the before-camping days). I was having flashbacks to the "Wizard of Oz" -- I was, after all, in Kansas -- and then the desk clerk told her story of hiding in a freezer in the Grand Isle, Nebraska, tornado outbreak some years earlier. Unnerving! It was then I decided I needed to be smarter about tornadoes.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Where do you buy chickens.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Any grocery store. Dead chickens don't fly any better than live ones do!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #23
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Doesn't anyone carry a NOAA portable radio?
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30 with Goodyear Endurance shoes, with an Equal-i-zer 1000 yanked around with a 2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.92 axle, 6-speed auto WBCCI #6111 AIR #107335

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tornado Avoidance Strategies?

I carry a NOAA radio plus ham radio gear. Local 2meter repeaters in Tornado Country are usually set up to report tornado paths direct from NOAA.

I also carry a GPS or two so I know exactly where I am.

Lived in northern Alabama--the tail end of tornado alley. Paying attention to the weather is a very good idea in them there parts...😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Any grocery store. Dead chickens don't fly any better than live ones do!
Very true, very true, but scientists have confirmed the feathers do have an aerodynamic spoiler effect to aid in a flightless trajectory; so a stuffed chicken would do, if carrying a live one was messing up the carpet a bit.

I kid you not people.

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Just remember that Tornado Alley is heavily populated with people like me, and that we find the hazard to be one we can live with. We don't have to deal with avalanches, mudslides, hurricanes until they are much weakened, or really heavy snowfall.

The point is, wherever you are, there's some kind of natural hazard. Learn the rules, as you have wisely done in this thread, and enjoy your visit.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
We don't have to deal with avalanches, mudslides, hurricanes until they are much weakened, or really heavy snowfall.
Personally I prefer hurricanes. At least thanks to satellite meteorology, unlike most other natural disasters hurricanes come with plenty of advance warningó even if you do have to travel a long distance to get out of their way, for an Airstreamer a hurricane evacuation is another excuse to go camping.

Hey, keeping a positive mental attitude about natural disasters is important! As the saying goes, "The difference between a disaster and an adventure is the way you tell the story afterwards." So for me, natural disasters can be natural adventures, as long everyone I know survives and I get a good story out of it to tell around the campfire later.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
My vote is stay out of tornado alley in the spring. Although the chicken thing is probably a very good idea.

Mike