Old 04-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
TopSail Hill State Park

We're heading to Florida's TopSail Hill State Park next week for both our "season opener", and our kids' first trip to a beach.

Anyone care to share thoughts about the place? I have always enjoyed state parks, but have never been to one in close proximity to a beach. Hope I can Walbernize before I get there!

Thanks,
Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It is one of the nicest parks you will find. If warm enough for the pool it will be a place your kids will love even more. The beach is pristine, no pets allowed on it. Its a mile or so form the campground on a bike path/road, and they have a shuttle that goes regularly if you don't want to walk.A few alligators in the lakes around there.
Not much around the park in the way of stores,, but there is a great pancake restaurant a mile or two west on the main hwy. towards Destin.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hands down the best park we've ever stayed at! Gregory Moore, I think used to own it before it became a state park and you will not find anything better along the Emerald coast. Only about 5 miles from Destin and all the attractions you can imagine. Check out Camping on the Gulf for a fun RV park too that has activities for the kids and beachfront campsites. You will love Destin.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
I'm So Jealous

Tom,

I'm really excited for you guys. We haven't been to Destin in over 3 years (or 3 kids ago, or something like that) and never as campers.

Please take pics and make full trip report as this sounds like a great way for us to get back to the Emerald Coast ("Redneck Riviera").

I haven't told you yet, but I'm on my second (and hopefully final) project with a '73 Sovereign center bath. I'm pushing for a 4 June trip to JAX, FL and would like to take the Sovereign (and sell the Overlander to free up some $$) Think I can pull it off?
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Topsail ok

Topsail was nice,but I did find it cumbersome to travel a mile to get to the beach. The pool was ok but very small for the amount of campers there.

dik
21 ft Sovereign
Old 05-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
sounds like mild disappointment....we were there three years ago and thought it was terrific. the distance to the beach was a good walk but it was well worth it when you get there. You might enjoy a private RV park more such as Destin RV or such.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I was at Topsail about 3 weeks ago and thought it was great. The site was level and paved, had a small pond behind us and right across from the pool. It was small but never seemed to get a lot of use, could have been too early in the season. It was a fairly long walk to the beach but the shuttle runs through the day. It is only 5 minutes to Destin and there is a lot of parking at the beach along old 98. I had been dry camping or at water and electric sites for a month so a full hook up with a real hot shower was awesome. Even cable tv, if they only had wifi!