Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Top of The World Highway

We are planning another trip to Alaska this summer, and I would like to include a loop across the Top of The World Highway and the Taylor Highway from Dawson, Yukon to Tok, Alaska.

I have a copy of The Milepost and have been reading about the conditions of the roads in that area, but I'd like to hear testimony from someone who has traveled those roads pulling an Airstream. How was it really? Would you advise doing it? Is the scenery worth it?

Any input you would have from experience, or hearsay, would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
We are planning another trip to Alaska this summer, and I would like to include a loop across the Top of The World Highway and the Taylor Highway from Dawson, Yukon to Tok, Alaska.

I have a copy of The Milepost and have been reading about the conditions of the roads in that area, but I'd like to hear testimony from someone who has traveled those roads pulling an Airstream. How was it really? Would you advise doing it? Is the scenery worth it?

Any input you would have from experience, or hearsay, would be appreciated.
Steve,

Check out Bert Gildart's blog in August, 2009: 2009 August | Bert Gildart: Writer and Photographer He spent this last summer in Alaska and took the Top of The World Highway, in addition to many other adventures.

You could sent him an email with more specific questions also.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Probably out of date, but I did it ion 2000, in the rain. It is dirt and narrow but certainly doable and we enjoyed it. Would have enjoyed it more if the weather had been better.
Don't however, get your mail forwarded to Chicken, but that's another story.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Drove those highways in the late 1970s without an Airstream. The scenery was fantastic. I still think about that trip.
Gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
In July ’08 we spent 3-4 days in Dawson City and saw some very muddy RV coming in off that highway. When it rains the gravel road gets everything very dirty. There are places in both Dawson City and Chicken where you can hose down and wash your vehicles.

We left Dawson City for three days in Chicken and Eagle and had no problems at all pulling a 25ft Safari. My 25 year old daughter drove. However when we went, it didn’t rain for a couple days and the dirt road was mostly dry and just been re-graded. As I recall it is not all mud and dirt surface but gravel that appears to drain well. They are constantly maintaining the roads.

I learned not to totally trust the MilePost book—too much old stuff and inaccurate milepost (or kilometers) numbers. However, the staff at local travel information centers, have the most up-to-date knowledge of conditions maps and traveling details. Good luck and don’t rush.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Thanks everyone, for your replys. I've done some research from your suggestions, and now I just have to make up my mind if I can stand to drive on those roads that slow for that lenght of time.

I'm a sort of "lets get on down the road" sort of guy.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We did the loop from Tok to Chicken, Dawson City and Whitehorse in 2006. The road was mostly dirt for about half the trip, but worth it. If you're going to Alaska, it would be hard to pass up gold rush central.

You will sand-blast the front of your rig - but I have seen some folks use that sticky plastic stuff to good effect. I recall pulling into Dawson City, backing into my spot - then, seeing how thick the mud was, immediately going off to a truck wash to clean things up before settling in.

I'd say go. And as far as trip references, the Milepost is a big help - but we used the Churches' book for choosing campsites more often than the Milepost.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
A trip to Alaska is definitely one of our goals - maybe (make that definitely) it'll be a few years. But what do people figure in terms of mileage (per hour) based on dirt roads? Are we talking 20 mph - or something different? I know it'll vary dramatically - just trying to get a sense. And how far north do people travel? Don't mean to de-rail the orginal post - just really interested in Alaska!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My experience was that the dirt roads were really a pretty good surface. So I'd guess 45 or so was not uncommon. As far as paved vs unpaved, the only dirt roads we ran into was the Top ...highway and the road into Denali (we stayed at the Teklinika CG about 30 miles into the park. All the rest was good paved road.

Now, I will say that whenever you see a little flag at the edge of the highway, back it down pretty quickly, as that is where the road is under repair...so don't hit those at speed.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
Did Alaska in 1999

We drove (cabover camper at the time) from Denver over the east Alaska highway to Top of the World where we ferried across the Yukon, Chicken, Tok, Fairbanks, Deadhorse, Denali (Talketna), Anchorage, Hope, Soldotna, Homer, Seward, Valdez, McCarthy, back to Tok, Haines where we ferried to Skagway, Whitehorse, then Cassiar Highway down through Hyder and finally back to Denver via Jasper. 10,000 miles total in 2 1/2 months. Great trip! I'd highly recommend it.

We thought the prettiest areas were in Canada and on the Kenai Pennisula in Alaska.
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Anchorage , Alaska
The Milepost is your best source for planning

As editor of The MILEPOST guide I'd be happy to email you more details on the Top of the World Highway. Yukon Highway 9 is part of what we refer to as the Klondike Loop. We drive these highways every year, and while there may be some changes between when we have to go to press and when you drive the road, our highway logs are pretty darn accurate.
Top of the World is a beautiful highway, although highway may be too generous a term. It is a narrow, winding road that follows the ridge-lines of foothills, allowing for its "top-of-the-world" views. Despite this--and the general lack of guardrails--it doesn't feel particularly precipitous.
The road was seal-coated on the Canadian side several years ago, but for the past few summers it has been--for all intents and purposes--a gravel road. Kilometreposts are few and far between, but it is only a 79-mile/127-km stretch of road, if you include Boundary Spur Road on the Alaska side.
Gas up in Dawson City are in Chicken, 108 miles away (Tok is 187 miles from Dawson City). Boundary Roadhouse was closed again last summer when we went through (the Peets had operated it in summer 2008). I hope this historic roadhouse opens again this summer, but it is a tough spot to run a business!
I've always been lucky with the weather on Top-of-the-World and had magnificent views and good road conditions, although sunny weather does mean dust. We recommend slow speeds on this road, but you'll certainly see motorists doing highway speeds on gravel.
On the Taylor Highway into Chicken you'll encounter more winding road. One summer just north of Chicken I saw a motorhome that had taken a turn too tight and put a wheel in the soft shoulder, which meant waiting for a tow truck from Tok to get them out.
Many motorhomes take the Klondike Loop and you'll find RV parks and hospitality in Chicken. Also think about a side trip to historic Eagle on the Yukon River.
Have a great trip!
kristinevale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinevale View Post
As editor of The MILEPOST guide I'd be happy to email you more details on the Top of the World Highway. Have a great trip!
Thank you for your generous offer. I accept and have PM'ed you my e-mail address.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Could I get a copy of your information. I am making the trip this year with an airstream caravan. My email address is wingfoot321@yahoo.com. Our leader is Al & Gracie Buchanan. I will get a copy to them at the Sarasota rally next month. Thanks in advance.
We can't wait. I have never heard anyone who came back from Alaska say anytthing except they plan to go again.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
We drove it in July 2007. Out of the approx. 110 miles from Dawson City to Tok there was about 90 miles of gravel. At the time we went across , the road was washboard of about an inch or two high. We had freinds that went a month or so ahead of us and it was smooth when they crossed. Guess the traffic causes the washboard effect. It was a beautiful drive but you had to take your time. Be sure your tires are aired up properly. We spent 11 hrs going that 110 miles , of course 2 hrs. was spent waiting on the ferry to get across the Yukon River leaving Dawson City
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Top of the world

Didi it last summer. The scenery is worth it!! The road was 95% dirt and gravel, but had been recently graded. I will do it again this summer, just because I like going from Dawson to Chicken and I don't want to go the long way!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just one more question of you that have made the trip pulling Airstreams...are there any "issues" with taking the trailer on and off the ferry?

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #17
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
When we got onto and off of the ferry , there was no problem. When the fellows working the loading ramp saw that it was an Airstream (with lower ground clearance) they placed boards that would make a smaller step up or down. I still took it real slow getting on & off. Needless to say they have seen Airstreams before
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
The ferry is designed for cars, RVs with trailers, MHs and trucks, tractors, etc. Issues are not a problem. No cost to cross.
Appears that local commuter traffic and smaller vehicles have a special lane and first priority. Get in line early a wait your turn, or go later in the day.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Go for it!

We've driven it several times, both directions, with Airstream. Do it, do it in SUMMER (July/Aug), enjoy it. Fear not, it’s worth it.

Just don't be in a hurry. I can usually make 1-300 miles a day if I want to.
Most is 45MPH, some slower. Beautiful!

I usually experience one flat trailer tire every thousand miles or so. Be warned. Carry spares. Slow for moose and bears (they can ruin your day)

Frost heaving makes for rutted surface and unseen surprise bumps.

There are four seasons in Alaska: Winter, Road Construction, Bear Hunting and Moose Hunting.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Steve,

Like others have said, you will remember the trip for the rest of your life. My wife and I did it in 1999, without the trailer, tenting. The Top Of The World Highway was paved and in very good condition. Crossing the border into the US to head to Chicken, the gravel road was being graded. We quickly overtook the grader and wish we hadn't. It was aweful. I seriously was wondering if I was going to ruin my new car. And we were only going 35. So, while you might be a "gotta get there now" type of person. Hopefully you will learn to relax on this trip. Enjoying the scenery and the drive. Be on the lookout for little flags on the side of the road. When you see them slow down. They are a warning that the road ahead is in poor shape. But overall I was impressed with the roads. Expect your tow vehicle and trailer to get filthy dirty and you will not be disappointed.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote