Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Top of the world

Didi it last summer. The scenery is worth it!! The road was 95% dirt and gravel, but had been recently graded. I will do it again this summer, just because I like going from Dawson to Chicken and I don't want to go the long way!

Living life on the Road
deauxrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just one more question of you that have made the trip pulling Airstreams...are there any "issues" with taking the trailer on and off the ferry?

Thanks for your inputs.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #17
Retired Fishing Guide
2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
When we got onto and off of the ferry , there was no problem. When the fellows working the loading ramp saw that it was an Airstream (with lower ground clearance) they placed boards that would make a smaller step up or down. I still took it real slow getting on & off. Needless to say they have seen Airstreams before
2005 GMC CC D/A
2005 28' Classic
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
AIR #8691
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
The ferry is designed for cars, RVs with trailers, MHs and trucks, tractors, etc. Issues are not a problem. No cost to cross.
Appears that local commuter traffic and smaller vehicles have a special lane and first priority. Get in line early a wait your turn, or go later in the day.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Go for it!

We've driven it several times, both directions, with Airstream. Do it, do it in SUMMER (July/Aug), enjoy it. Fear not, itís worth it.

Just don't be in a hurry. I can usually make 1-300 miles a day if I want to.
Most is 45MPH, some slower. Beautiful!

I usually experience one flat trailer tire every thousand miles or so. Be warned. Carry spares. Slow for moose and bears (they can ruin your day)

Frost heaving makes for rutted surface and unseen surprise bumps.

There are four seasons in Alaska: Winter, Road Construction, Bear Hunting and Moose Hunting.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa

Like others have said, you will remember the trip for the rest of your life. My wife and I did it in 1999, without the trailer, tenting. The Top Of The World Highway was paved and in very good condition. Crossing the border into the US to head to Chicken, the gravel road was being graded. We quickly overtook the grader and wish we hadn't. It was aweful. I seriously was wondering if I was going to ruin my new car. And we were only going 35. So, while you might be a "gotta get there now" type of person. Hopefully you will learn to relax on this trip. Enjoying the scenery and the drive. Be on the lookout for little flags on the side of the road. When you see them slow down. They are a warning that the road ahead is in poor shape. But overall I was impressed with the roads. Expect your tow vehicle and trailer to get filthy dirty and you will not be disappointed.
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Fairbanks , Alaska
can an old 345 LE do the highway??
Liz and Chris -- Follow our Full Time Adventures on

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:

gypsychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas

Almost everyone takes the Top of the World HWY going to Alaska. We did it coming out and glade we did. The weather was better later on (dry) and the traffic was almost none. It can get narrow in spots on the TOW hwy in places and I would not want to encounter a lot of the folks either coming or going in either direction and then there's always someone in a hurry wanting to get around you. The key we found to enjoying Alaska was to slow down when the road gets ruff and enjoy the view.

"Happy Trails"

chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote