Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Top of Georgia

We are planning to go to Top of Georgia over Christmas break. I want to see snow!! Any reviews of TOG and Helen that anyone would like to share? Anything special going on in that area that we should see or do? This will be the first time the "Rolling Tin" has been in cold weather....I don't know how she will react......

megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Top of Georgia is a WBCCI owned park. Only members allowed. We have been there in December and it is nice.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Stayed at TOG last March, very nice , would stay there again. Helen, GA is a quaint little town with a great market and many restaurants and shops. I'm sure you would enjoy your visit... Greg
Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Top of Georgia is our children's favorite campground!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
They had rule of one night guest without membership for AS owners, a few years ago, stopped by to check them out when we were in the neighborhood.
Helen is VERY tourist oriented except for the library, worst we have ever encountered, quaint, small but the head librarian was a pia, she let us know her library didn't allow conversations in the reading room, even when only the four patrons in the library were talking in normal tones.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Don't miss the driveway into TOG when coming from Helen. It's all uphill and you will go a long way before you will find a place to turn around pulling an RV. Otherwise it is very nice.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We stopped a few nights at Top of Georgia a couple of years ago. Quite pleasant with a creek running behind the campground. Just a few miles from the tourist town of Helen.

The town was ok to visit once, but a little over the top with all the tourist shops so having seen it once, no particular desire to return$

Enjoyed the pubs /restaurants in town with lots 0f beer and sausages on the menu!

We entered the Airstream park from the south and had various opinions as to whether it was ok to take our 31' trailer north out of the park when leaving (we were heading home to Canada. It was quite hilly and twisty, but no problems really.

The park is supposed to be for WBCCI members only. We were asked if we were members, but no proof asked for. We were members at the time, but have since dropped out

I think this is the only Airstream park we have been to (been to I think 4 or 5 ) where they had the membership rule.

Funnily, when we arrived at the park and set up, I suddenly realized I had lost our truck keys.

We literally spent hours looking for them - even going back to the park office, washroom, all around the trailer and truck to no avail.

Uncharitable though it might be, I was even starting to suspect the rather seedy looking young guy in the next Airstream which looked as though it hadn't moved in twenty years and was pretty run down. I had said hello to him when we arrived as he watched us from his patio chair and got no response at all! Looked as though he was living in the trailer.

Eventually, I found my keys hanging in the rear window of our truck cap - which I had left in the up position with the keys out of sight until the window was brought back down!

It was a relief but I felt very guilty for having suspected our new neighbor! Should always trust a fellow Airstreamer!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by megandrudy View Post
We are planning to go to Top of Georgia over Christmas break. I want to see snow!! Any reviews of TOG and Helen that anyone would like to share? Anything special going on in that area that we should see or do? This will be the first time the "Rolling Tin" has been in cold weather....I don't know how she will react......
She will most likely react like this. Humans? Not so good. This was taken this morning when I went over to brush off the solar panels. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3455615031.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	201752  
Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
She will most likely react like this. Humans? Not so good. This was taken this morning when I went over to brush off the solar panels. Jim
Jim,

I think you'll need your snow blower again on Sunday morning!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Jim, I think you'll need your snow blower again on Sunday morning! Brian.
Brian, it was worse than I expected today after last nights dump. I could not get close due to some drifting but the wind kept the solar panels clear on both Airstreams. A front end loader is going to clear a little path so we can hook up the Jeeps and vamoose. Jim
Old 12-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Brian, it was worse than I expected today after last nights dump. I could not get close due to some drifting but the wind kept the solar panels clear on both Airstreams. A front end loader is going to clear a little path so we can hook up the Jeeps and vamoose. Jim
Safe travels!

They say we got about 30cm between yesterday and last night.

I had to do our drive a few times, and also do a neighbours as a favour.A fair trade, as she looks after our mail when we head south in Feb!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'