Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Darel
Tools for the Road

Hey all,
I am a newbie at this and was wondering what I should put in a tool box for going on the road? I was lookng at tool kits and was thinking that I didn't want to buy something that I probably won't need, like 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" socket sets. Will one or two do? What else should I carry on the road with me. All help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Darel
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Darel
Back-up parts list

What type of parts do you carry on the road? Belts, hoses, oil and filters? Should I be prepared for an oil change on the road? What other maintenance items should be taken with while on the road?
Thanks again,
Darel
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Let's see,

In case of Newkid's (one of our esteemed moderator's) last trip, what, a tranny, an engine?

Just joking with you, I am sure one of our seasoned mh'ers will step in soon and give you some excellant tips.

(Check out the thread, Adventures of Brett and Edie)

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Tools

My wife bought me one of the fitted tool cases for my birthday a couple of years ago. Not real high quality tools, but a good variety of metric and fractional sockets, wrenches, allen keys, wire crimper, etc. It rides on the teansmisssion hump under the back seat of my extended cab Silverado. I have found these tools to be adequate for most small jobs. Also under the seat is a tire gage and a truck tire 12v air compressor. It almost goes without saying that there is a roll of duct tape under there, also.

I carry a 4-way lug wrench in the bed of the truck. The 4-way is nice because you can get a lot of force without the danger of rounding off a tight lug nut like with an L-shaped wrench.

When we go on a longer trip, especially somewhere like west Texas where things are a lot further apart, I take a tool box in the bed of the truck with an assortment of bigger tools such as hammer, big crescent wrench, etc. and an assortment of small stuff like bolts, nuts, screws, tie-wraps, and electrical crimps.

I don't carry belts and the like except for Mexico.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote