Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Tool container / storage

I'm not sure if this is the right area of the forum to post this but here goes. Over the last several years there have been many posts, even one very recently, asking what tools people should take when they go to pick up their new or used trailers/moho's. Other posts ask what tools people carry on a regular basis. I'm curious as to what type of container forum members carry their tools in? I carry a 126 piece Craftsman socket/wrench set in it's plastic carry box and a smaller Craftsman socket set with just 3/8 and 1/4 inch sockets in another plastic box.

The trailer has had a set of Craftsman screwdrivers on a plastic carrier, and lately a set of Craftsman standard and metric ratchet combination wrenches. I also have 5 different types of pliers wrapped in a shop towel. I just added a 1/2" torque wrench in plastic box for lug nuts and put the other one back in my garage tool chest. Other tools such as allen wrenches are duplicated in the truck/trailer/garage. Oops, forgot the 2 rivet guns. I also have a multiple compartment plastic container for all kinds of electrical/plumbing parts.

All the tools in the trailer are scattered here and there so today I picked up a 12" AWP ballistic nylon open mouth tool bag to put the trailer tools in. It is so much better carrying most of the tools out of the trailer to handle a job than having to go back and forth to get the right tool. The nice thing about canvas and ballistic nylon bags is their ability to be folded over or compressed to fit into a compartment. I can fit this bag in the drawer slideout under the front sofa with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbag 001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	30743   Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbag 002.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	30744  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
That's nice, where did you get it?

I gotta say I would miss all those trips back and forth to get tools, its about the only exercise I get nowdays.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
That's nice, where did you get it?

I gotta say I would miss all those trips back and forth to get tools, its about the only exercise I get nowdays.
Mark, I picked it up at Lowe's after looking at Sears, Duluth Trading Co. and Walmart. It was just the right size without being overly large. The 16" size was just a little longer than what I wanted so the 12" fit just right.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Thanks. I'm tired of carrying tools around in a 5 gal bucket.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Craig, I've been carrying mine around in a small, plastic tool box in the bed of my pickup when on the road. I'd carry it inside if it weren't for the rattle of the tools inside. I'm headed to Lowes today to check out your system. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Craig, we have a bag similar to yours from Rockler. Perfect size because we are always shuffling tools between vehicles and trailers. Great idea for a thread!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I purchased one like that at Target, mine had all the tools in it already. I wanted to save all the trips back and forth to stock the bag.

BTW I also have a full tool box on the back of my truck.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
What, no duct tape!!

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. - Red Green-
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have a very similar soft bag that I bought on sale from Woodcraft. I carry about the same tools as davidz71. The bag stores under the foot of the bed where I removed a drawer.

Since I tend to do woodwork modifications to the trailer, I bought a battery-operated 18v nail gun. It prevents having to hammer on things. The nail gun came in a nice nylon bag of its own and I carry it back and forth, rather than leave it in the trailer.

With the nail gun came a free 18v drill that I keep in the trailer for running the stabilizers up and down. I also got a spotlight that accepts the 18v batteries; it makes most flashlights look puny.

I also keep a small plastic parts cabinet in the triailer stocked with nuts, bolts, screws, pop-rivets, slectrical splices, and similar small parts. It wedges very nicely into the space between the credenza and the couch with enough friction that it never moves while underway..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlevel5
What, no duct tape!!

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. - Red Green-
I have the duct tape in mine! And WD-40! A female friend bought me a tool box with some tools when I got a divorce way back. She said that she figured I had lost all my tools with the divorce. She was wrong. I came out of it with a hammer. I don't quite know if that is because I threatened him with it and he may have been afraid to take it away from me, or what! The tool box is fully stocked now and stays in the trailer.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I have a very similar soft bag that I bought on sale from Woodcraft. I carry about the same tools as davidz71. The bag stores under the foot of the bed where I removed a drawer.

Since I tend to do woodwork modifications to the trailer, I bought a battery-operated 18v nail gun. It prevents having to hammer on things. The nail gun came in a nice nylon bag of its own and I carry it back and forth, rather than leave it in the trailer.

With the nail gun came a free 18v drill that I keep in the trailer for running the stabilizers up and down. I also got a spotlight that accepts the 18v batteries; it makes most flashlights look puny.

I also keep a small plastic parts cabinet in the triailer stocked with nuts, bolts, screws, pop-rivets, slectrical splices, and similar small parts. It wedges very nicely into the space between the credenza and the couch with enough friction that it never moves while underway..
I am just going to park next to Pahaska, solves all tool and hardware problems.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote