Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Took Globetrotter on first real trip

Well, finally took out the Globetrotter for a real road trip. We went to one of the Jellystone Campgrounds; I have an 8 year old. Part of the trip is across Lake Pontchartrain on a 25 mile causeway right across the middle of the lake. We were about 10 mile out on the causeway when the worst thunderstorm I have driven in hit, it was white out and nasty, everyone had on emergency blinkers and crawling, no place to pull over. When we exited the causeway it had been shut down due to the weather, cars were backed up for miles. I was a novice at towing a trailer stuck in what would be called survival conditions in sailing. What helped me out the most was knowing I had the correct hitch, tires, truck, brake controller, and all adjusted correctly. This confidence was due to this group and several others I read. Pay attention to details and you and your family will be safer. Take all the safety advice and tow rating seriously.

Another serious matter is that I think one of the campers at the park may have been electrocuted. One site had a flurry of active, I say a truck with emergency lights their. I later saw a tractor move the trailer and caution tape around the site and some very official looking personnel writing a report. Next pass I saw a vase with flowers by the electrical box and a few other flowers, not good signs. It had been raining at the park for the past 5 days and everything was soaked. I will pick up a pair of rated electrical gloves on my next trip to home depot to connect and disconnect.

Well Jellystone is not my type of camping but my son had fun. Out of well over 300 units we were the only Airstream, and the smallest trailer in the park except for a couple of popups. The trailer towed great and had no problems with 18 wheelers passing. I towed at 60 and could have done 65 with no problem but felt 60 was nice and safe. I had a great time and my wife is already planning our next trip. The 10 months of restoring and repairing has paid off.

Jim N5TJZ
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 12:08 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I am curious - why is Jellystone not your type of camping?

-Emily
eraffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:22 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Jellystone

I can understand why it isn't his kind of "camping".

While I will stop just about anywhere overnight while enroute or for events such as a music festivals or rallys, there are two reasons I will choose a place to "camp".

1. Natural attractions in the park itself such as a river, lake, scenery, or hiking trails. Hopefully several of these items.

2. Proximity to the above.

Most all of my "camping" is in state parks. The other nights I spend in the trailer, to me, are not "camping", they are "travelling" or "rallying".
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally posted by eraffety
I am curious - why is Jellystone not your type of camping?

-Emily
It is not my type of camping but is sure is my sons, and it is all about him. I prefer large camp sites and more natural attractions. Theme campgrounds are not my thing but I will camp their again as it not all about me. A like a more natural environment, dodging golf carts and peddle carts is not what I like. Playing on a bad putt putt golf course is boring. Using rickety canoes is not fun for me but my 8 year old had a great time.I did relax and did a lot of reading and I will return again as I can have fun even when it is not my thing.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jim,
I just read your post about the caution tape and the vase of flowers on the electrical box. I'm glad I read it now rather than having read it before I had my disasterous electrical weekend. I would have been even more hesitant and cautious than I already was when trying to find out why the 30 amp. breaker kept tripping before I even turned on my trailer main breaker. After giving up, it was time for a few drinks with friends and worry about the 110 volt electrics the next morning. Some might make the mistake and get their priorities out of order.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote