Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
East Durham , New York
Too Risky?

I was hoping I could get some advice. I recently received some damage to my 22ft. CCD and a falling tree limb and I've decided to take the coach back to the Ohio factory for repairs, the problem is that I live in Eastern NY State and the only time I will have to take the AS is the week between Xmas and New Year's. I could leave it there for the winter and they offer a 10% discount on parts to take advantage of the slow season.

So, my question is. . . is this too risky a drive at that time of the year, or should I simply wait until the spring and make the trip then.

I've never driven anywhere in the midwest so I really have no idea what I to expect, especially in terms of weather.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance,

Bluvalley

Happy Holidays!!
bluvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The trip should be less than 2 days, as long as you have a week I wouldn't worry about it. If the roads get bad, find a place to hole up until they are clear again. Don't count on rest areas, they fill up fast with trucks when it gets nasty, but you have a place to stay warm and sleep so any large lot in a safe area a short distance off the expressway will do.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
First you and everyone else should keep one thing in mind.

The Northern States and Canada are accustom to snow and ice conditions during the winter months. They have the road clearing and melting equipment and the resources to handle most storms.

It is the none snow/ice states that you have to worry about. If they are hit with any kind of snow or ice - look out - pandimonium hits because there is no equipment, no experience driving in it and the roads become an absolute nightmare.

So with that said keep an eye out for the weather - take your time - and be prepared to stay over night. Stick with the main roads that are more likely to be cleared on a regular basis.

School bus routes are the next best roads to travel on - as the precious cargo routes are the first to be cleared and salted/sanded.

The only negative would be the salt/sand your coach will experience. But a good power wash and she will be fine.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Bluvalley,
I've done the trip from Louisville KY to CT (through OH) and back many times in late December, early January. Generally it's a weather dependant thing. Snow and ice are just not something to travel through with an RV. You can make this trip from Albany(for example) in two 5 hour driving days or 11 hours straight through.

Depending on where you are starting out consider using I80 through PA. This is more of a "trucker's" road, has fewer hills is in better condition with less construction and avoids the mountains and tunnels on I70 in Wheeling WV area. It also has a number of good truck stops in case you need to find a port in a storm. You'll come out of PA into Akron and then shoot down to Columbus on I71. This is a nice smooth, straight, flat road. you can then pick up I70 and shoot straight over to Dayton then north on I75 to Jackson Center.

One other thing to consider is adding a CB Radio to your rig. I find mine invaluable during all long trips, but it's great to know about weather and traffic from truckers who just came from where you are headed.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Now do you feel better about your damage? Saw this on RVtraderonline.com
Obviously, they are selling it for parts. Jeez, is that an ad for swaybars or what?
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

For the route I would consider taking Ohio Turnpike to Rte 75 and then head South , Rte 71 is a good road but you will be going thru much more congested areas , Akron , Canton , Columbus. I live in Ohio and can use 71 or 75 and allways use 75 to go To Jackson Center , Have went back home the 75 to 70 to 71 route and seat of the pants it feels longer , did not time it though. Im 5 min off turnpike exit , 3 hours from Jackson Center going turnpike to 75. takes 2 hours just to get to columbus and If You hit rush hour oh boy. If You have time at jackson center aside from the factory tour , go see the bicycle museum in New Bremen
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Coming from NY state, the Ohio Turnpike and I 70 will be the preferred way to go in the winter. We did almost the same trip last april. \

Good luck

Mark
Old 12-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Now do you feel better about your damage? Saw this on RVtraderonline.com
Obviously, they are selling it for parts. Jeez, is that an ad for swaybars or what?
hey do you know where this place is - looks like they have a few airstreams. Tried the rvtraderonline.com but not a correct url - do you have the url??

Thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Peter and Sharon,

try this link: http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/5/2/76935052.htm ,

or choose Airstreams and sort by Price (ascending) then its on page 2 from 10.

Bjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
hey do you know where this place is - looks like they have a few airstreams. Tried the rvtraderonline.com but not a correct url - do you have the url??

Thanks
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
Hi Peter and Sharon,

try this link: http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/5/2/76935052.htm
Bjoern
Thanks Bjoern....gees how come all the good finds are in Texas!

I think we are going to have to retire early and go on travelling scavanger hunt! Would love to have that puppy for parts for our 69 - same windows and lots of part inside I guess too. Nice to have back up windows just incase you break one.

The wrek we are looking at cost bit more than $600.00!!!!

Thanks a again - it would probably be more like speed or "the other guy" you know those weavers and bobbers - they get ya everytime!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In December when our new Safari was ready, we towed our 19' Bambi to the Jackson Center area and it did snow. All in all, it wasn't all that bad. Of course, if the weather wanted to, it could have made it darn near horrible. It's really a roll of the dice. If you have exp towing, you should be fine. If you're a novice tower, then I'd either wait until later or plan your trip carefully with a close eye on the weather.

The worst part for us was salt. It got everywhere. Luck for us though, a day or two after the new coach arrived, it was warm enough to wash and walburnize!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I'm making a run to GA from Chicago to pick up Shell Shock the same week. I'm really hopping the weather is kind to me.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Hey Tedd, I'll have no argument with you if you call your new acquisition "the Wreck." Glad that "parts A/S" is working out for you. You'll love the weather in Georgia (if it's not raining and cats and dogs, which it is here this week).

Steve (or anyone else), what CB do you recommend?
Thanks,
Nancy
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I have a Uniden (which came with the AS) but have been seriously looking at this one: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...15947&src=SRQZ
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Cb

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I have a Uniden (which came with the AS) but have been seriously looking at this one: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...15947&src=SRQZ
Thanks for the info, Steve. Helps us know what to look for.
Nancy
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluvalley

I've never driven anywhere in the midwest so I really have no idea what I to expect, especially in terms of weather.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

thanks in advance,

Bluvalley

Happy Holidays!!
in case you have to hole up make sure you have plenty of beer and salted in the shell peanuts....the no salt ones dont taste very good..... save the shells in case your wheels spin on the snow....
merry christmas
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote