Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
too much TV ??

My new TV a 1979 chevy dually crewcab 454 th 400 is now on transport to me.
I wanted a dually just becouse of the looks of it.
I will be towing a 1986 32 ft Exella
If i'm correct There has been some post here about a dually being to stiff for a airstream.
What is the easy (best) way to solve this.
I do not need the cargo capacity as here in the netherlands we are only alowed a max loaded weight of 7700 lbs.
So i could take 1 or 2 of the leave's out of the springs.
A 4 link with airride might be better but a bit $$.
Or is that hitch with a airbag suspension a good thing to use.
Regards
Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You could weigh your rig with the trailer attached and find out how many pounds you are carring on those back tires. The tire manufacturers usually have a listing on line that will tell you the minimum pressure you can run with that load for those tires. You could then reduce the pressure in the tire to achieve a softer ride without spending any money. I have a dually and a '77 31 footer. On some rough roads in Canada, the trailer did show some stress after 6,000 miles.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
remcolent,

I wouldn't change anything on the springs or other suspension on the truck. The 32' is a big trailer with quite a bit of tongue weight so you shoul be fine. If anything, maybe add some weight to the bed of your truck if you find the ride is a bit too stiff. But, I wouldn't do anything to change the factory suspension - that could cause other problems with handling, etc...

-Kevin
COLORADO_CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Remco, my slightly newer F250 weighs 6800 pounds empty, and it is only a standard cab. The extra weight of the crew cab, plus the extra weight of the 2 tires and wheels, is going to push your truck dangerously close to the 7700 pound limit. The extra tires and wheels will weigh about 150 pounds, and the extra doors will be another 150, plus the seats, frame and sheet metal that make up the back half of the cab has to be another 300+ pounds. So we have 6800 + 150 + 150 + 300 = 7400 pounds not counting anyone but the driver. How strict is that limit? Do the police carry portable scales around to check weights?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
the chevy is only 5800 empty that is without the front hitch and campertop.
the PO did put it on a scale.
But it will be real close truck will be converted to propane and that will be a extra 300 pound for the license of the truck they ad the weight of 3/4 filled tanks to the weight of the truck. plus the calculate 200 pounds ( 80 kg ) for every seat.
if I go over 7700 pounds I need a truck license and have a speed limit even when not towing of 50 mph. Yhat might safe me some fuel but its no fun to drive 50.
if the police think you'r overweight they take you to a scale a 10 % overweight is just a warning anything more is a ticket
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote