Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
South Lake tahoe , California
Red face Tongue mounted dirt bike?

Anyone ever add (weld/bold) a dirt bike ramp onto the hitch tongue by moving the propane back - or forward? I'm looking at this as an option for adding a dirtbike rather than use a front mounted hitch on my tow vehicle. And no, I'm not gonna mount it on the back of the AS (76 Argosy).

Thanks in advance...
-AM
amilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I have used a bike carrier with my front hitch without issue. On my 73 argosy there just isn't a lot of room on the tongue A frame. I'm sure you could remove the propane tanks and fit a dirt bike but not sure it would ever clear with the tanks present.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Thanks, yeah, it seems tight, but it'd sure be nice to have a one tow method. Id rather not have the obstruction to lights. Im looking at the measurements. Its hard to know for sure though with no model.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just curious, what is your tow vehicle?
What is the wet curb weight of the dirt bike and total length? If you're talking a Honda 50, that's one thing, a KLR650 will another story.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tow vehicle 2002 f150. Moto dry curb weight is 290.. not sure total length. Dont have the bike yet.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Why not load in the bed of the truck? If you have a cap on the truck that you don't want to remove I still think the front hitch is the way to go. If you're concerned about obstructing the lights you could always mount a couple of fog lights on the bike carrier. The front hitch has already been engineered and will in no way affect your towing experince. The first hard turn with your bike mounted on the tongue could be disastrous for your truck, bike, Argosy, or all three.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Hmm, i can see that. The turn issue has me a bit nervous too. And safety wise extending the rear hitch isnt kosher. I like the idea to mount lights to the front of the hitch. I may need a drop hitch on the front since f150s got a 4" lift in order to be able to wheel it on.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Just to give you an idea of what the hitch would look like on your truck. Mine normally has a winch on it...
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160713_131320.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	289697
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amilash View Post
Tow vehicle 2002 f150. Moto dry curb weight is 290.. not sure total length. Dont have the bike yet.
what bike is that?
I have the heavy KLR 650 referred above and am looking at lighter alternatives (Suzuki?). Also is the front hitch factory or ???
I have 03 F150 7700 (supposedly can carry a snow plow)
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Front hitch is not factory but is completely bolt on, no welding or cutting. I bought my front hitch from etrailer.com. The largest bike I've carried up front was a Honda xr500r. My tv is a 2000 Expedition so when towing to a boondocking spot I plug my cargo carrier into the front hitch and load my generator and cooler upfront. I have put a front hitch on every 4x4 that I have owned since the mid 90`s. I have a winch on a 2" winch cradle, the cargo carrier, bicycle rack, canoe carrier, and motorcycle carrier that I can utilize up front.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
what bike is that?
I have the heavy KLR 650 referred above and am looking at lighter alternatives (Suzuki?).
Yes, the KLR is heavy (as off road bikes go) but you also can't beat the 6 gallon gas tank, the comfy seat, and the bazillion aftermarket accessories for it. My friend has a Honda XL650(?) and when I rode it I felt like I was on a kid's bike. But he could run rings around me off road. I carried a siphon in case I had to give him gas. The KLR has also carried me at 70 mph over thousands of miles of paved roads without complaint.
For Airstreaming, I'm favoring a scooter.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
Michael Wild

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Airstream310
Edmonton , Alberta
Dirt Bike + TV + Airstream

I thought long and hard about how to carry a dirt nike between my tow vehicle and Airstream. I didn't want to increase the tongue weight that much so I looked at trying to mount a dirt bike rack to the truck and possibly extending the receiver hitch. My conclusion: it was not the best idea.

I get that putting the dirt bike on the front of the truck works, but I just don't like the way it looks or the idea of my KTM being exposed to all the rocks and road grime on the front.

I ended up buying a Diamondback HD tonneau cover so the bike could be carried on top of it while still maintaining the cargo space of the box. Below is a photo of what the Diamondback HD looks like on my RAM 2500. Skookum!!!

Bonus: You can carry 2 dirt bikes plus other gear in between the bikes.

Let me know if you end up finding a way where the dirt bike fits between the TV and Airstream, I would love to see a photo of your final solution.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackhd

Michael_Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The problem with any dirt bike in the truck bed is the height and weight. If you're by yourself or with a lady, riding it up and down is dangerous. Then, you have the additional weight in the truck bed. My KLR is in the 380# range now with gas. Add a generator, a gas can, a WD hitch, and the ramps needed to get the bike in, plus the tongue weight of the AS and you're maxxed out++.
Also make sure the bike fits in the bed with the tailgate closed!!!
Lastly, don't be this guy!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I haul a Husky TE310 and a Honda CFR150 in my bed. I bought an 8 ft long bed 2500 RAM specifically for this. Had a rear hitch mount rack previously with a Honda Pilot and it worked for hauling one bike but I was always nervous towing it and vehicle handling was impacted. With a 3/4 ton diesel, I am well within payload and hitch limits and can haul bikes, ramps, and gear as well as towing the AS.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
I haul a Husky TE310 and a Honda CFR150 in my bed. I bought an 8 ft long bed 2500 RAM specifically for this. Had a rear hitch mount rack previously with a Honda Pilot and it worked for hauling one bike but I was always nervous towing it and vehicle handling was impacted. With a 3/4 ton diesel, I am well within payload and hitch limits and can haul bikes, ramps, and gear as well as towing the AS.
Nice. That seems like the way to go. Or front hitch mount. I got the versahaul hitch mount for the back after trying with the aluminum ramp that has wrungs on it. It was less expensive, but i couldnt load the bike on it solo and it was really scary and difficult flagging help down in the middle of nevada in 97degree heat. The versahaul has a through hitch i could tow up to 6000lbs with it. Havent tried to tow AS yet. It also has nice tie downs and a smooth trough for the wheels so i can load it solo. I decided to store AS, and go truck life for a few months..
..then maybe ill ditch the truck and just bike tuor. We shall see.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by planBe View Post
I thought long and hard about how to carry a dirt nike between my tow vehicle and Airstream. I didn't want to increase the tongue weight that much so I looked at trying to mount a dirt bike rack to the truck and possibly extending the receiver hitch. My conclusion: it was not the best idea.

I get that putting the dirt bike on the front of the truck works, but I just don't like the way it looks or the idea of my KTM being exposed to all the rocks and road grime on the front.

I ended up buying a Diamondback HD tonneau cover so the bike could be carried on top of it while still maintaining the cargo space of the box. Below is a photo of what the Diamondback HD looks like on my RAM 2500. Skookum!!!

Bonus: You can carry 2 dirt bikes plus other gear in between the bikes.

Let me know if you end up finding a way where the dirt bike fits between the TV and Airstream, I would love to see a photo of your final solution.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/products/diamondbackhd

Nice, yeah, i wanted to keep the cab on so i can camp in it when out for a night or two on a semilocal climbing trip. And when I have the AS, that's where the mountain bicycles have been going.

Seems like the tongue weight would be fine with a smll guy like the yamahaw xt250 i wound up getting and you could move the propane tanks, but as someone mentioned, youd likely munch things on a sharp turn, so not worth it. If the tongue were longer maybe. Or maybe get custom work done to extend it. Thats a bigger project than i want to take on though. The versahaul on the back does have athrpugh hitch and is rated for 6k lbs. I haven't tried towing on it. But its great for the bike.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The problem with any dirt bike in the truck bed is the height and weight. If you're by yourself or with a lady, riding it up and down is dangerous. Then, you have the additional weight in the truck bed. My KLR is in the 380# range now with gas. Add a generator, a gas can, a WD hitch, and the ramps needed to get the bike in, plus the tongue weight of the AS and you're maxxed out++.
Also make sure the bike fits in the bed with the tailgate closed!!!
Lastly, don't be this guy!
Oy!! Thats rough.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #18
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I haul a KTM 690 in the bed of the Tundra. I have two ramps to load it. I walk it up with the bike on one ramp, and me on the other. (They are hooked together.) So far it's worked very well. About 10 trips. The 690 is closer to 300 lbs. Aftermarket seat makes it comfortable, but I have to carry a rotopax gas tank to get to a 200 mi range. But off road it's a beast.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes, the KLR is heavy (as off road bikes go) but you also can't beat the 6 gallon gas tank, the comfy seat, and the bazillion aftermarket accessories for it. My friend has a Honda XL650(?) and when I rode it I felt like I was on a kid's bike. But he could run rings around me off road. I carried a siphon in case I had to give him gas. The KLR has also carried me at 70 mph over thousands of miles of paved roads without complaint.
For Airstreaming, I'm favoring a scooter.
My KLR 705, ported polished head and shintz racing 705 with Staintune exhaust and header pipe. She is heavy so I wouldn't want to put her on the tongue of anything.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010574.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	766.0 KB
ID:	290851  

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by amilash View Post
I got the versahaul hitch mount for the back after trying with the aluminum ramp that has wrungs on it.
IMO, the Versahaul is the best of the bike carriers. It may be capable of towing 6000# but that's not with a WD hitch. That's straight pull. A WD hitch with that length dramatically changes the load geometry to the point I doubt the bike carrier could stand the torsion.
It's what I'd use for a front mounted bike though.
The best solution is to be 25 yrs old and fearless again.
"Everything is a compromise."