Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
For Whom the Tolls Ca-Chinging...You...Pay Up!!!

Average increase 55% Feb 1, 2009.
Out of Staters will pay more, a lot more, well....if they have money we should take it, after all, they do not live here anyway.
That is the way the thought goes anyway.
The state government tried to tax out of state land owners higher taxes. One side effect, the paper companies sold their holdings. The tax exempt people are buying up the land. Sound good? We will have parks to frollic in...
Guess what? No wealth creating/working jobs means more on the government dole.
Thefts are up.
3 pick up trucks of men cleaned out the metal and copper from our family farm. They even ruined the boiler cutting it out to remove it. They were interrupted, got away, by listening to a police band scanner when a neighbor called the police.

I understand that when times get tough men steal. It is the way it is. The government here in Maine is jealous of the competition.

Just imagine traveling through Massachusetts, New York and California, hang on to the wallets my friends.....

"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
The backroads of Maine are beautiful and there are no tolls! Depending on where you are traveling to, plan your trip on secondary roads, add additional time into your travel plans and sit back and enjoy the views.

WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Angry Highway robbery!

We are in Titusville, Florida for a few days.

We came over from Tampa today via I-4 and Florida 528, the Beach Line Expressway. We won't make that mistake again!

According to my map it's a little under 40 miles from the I-4 exit onto the expressway to Florida 407 where we got off. To go this distance we had to stop at three toll booths where we were charged $2.25, $1.50, and $3.25 - total $7.00 - for our 6,000 lb GVW tow vehicle and 4,000 lb GVW Airstream, total 10,000 GVW.

Seven dollars for less than 40 miles strikes me as more than a little rapacious. We are accustomed to taking toll roads where they look like the best route without thinking too much about the toll, but I guess we are going to have to start researching tolls in advance as part of our trip planning.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
Deer Park , Washington
Angry Maine Drivers

You Mainers probably won't like this. I have been all over the US and they have some of the worse drivers. I had a woman pass me in the medium and then run into an accident that everone else but her was slowing down for on the turnpike.
custom67as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Everyplace else has the worst drivers. We just get used to our own.

South Florida has about the worst I've seen in the US. Some may say NYC has bad drivers, but I learned to drive there and they seem quite skilled.

As for toll roads, stay away from E-470, east of Denver. It looks like a quick way around I-25 or I-270 congestion, but you'll pay dearly for it. It's one of those private toll roads supported by some taxes and not much used. There's also a Northwest Pkwy northwest of Denver that has the same deal and not used either. One trip on part of E-470 taught us to stay away and that was without a trailer. Sounds a lot like the previous posts about that road through Chicago which I think has been privatized. We're going to Ohio in a few months and are purposely avoiding the Indiana Tnpk and taking I-70. That Turnpike has also been privatized.

We've only taken the trailer through the West and haven't run into toll roads. I think 4 axles pay much more than twice as much as two axles. Is there a normal multiplier I can anticipate? I avoid tolls whenever we can, but sometimes you have no choice (like I-70 in eastern Kansas).

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2008 23' Safari FB SE
north shore , Massachusetts
my hat's off to maine for some of the best secondary roads i've driven on ,even in the rural western counties.
i know they are lightly traveled,but they have horrible cold, snow and ice to deal with.
i take my sports car for a week of solid driving in the fall,and the roads are a delight.
oh,and florida drivers are the worst i've seen!!
vunico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Originally Posted by SilverAvion View Post
i was raised in maine, so the turn pike there is very familiar to me.

that said, what is wrong with the idea that those who use the road should pay for it? a use tax seems to be the most fare option.

use the road = pay for the road
We pay state taxes for the roads, we pay federal taxes for the roads, they just blow the money on hiring more government workers. Then we have to pay them to retire early and for their healthcare.

It's time Americans wake up and fight back. No more government workers, pay for their own retirements and healthcare, stop sticking it to the average worker.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
mychinup, are you suggesting no government or no government roads? When there were hardly had government roads in this county in the 19th century we had a horrible road system. Of course, no government is like Somalia.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member
1961 24' Tradewind
rockport , Maine
The Way Life Should Be

I asked an old timer here in Maine who had lived through the depression in '29, what it was like. He looked right at me and said, " It was like any other day..." There is only one thing you have to be really good at, to live here in Maine, and that's living without much money. Thank goodness the wealth of beauty and beauty of the people make up for that.

hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote