Old 10-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I have never heard of that, never done it with multiple trailers and never had a problem. I am curious what is this based on?
Airstream Guide to Maintenance that I bought discusses this. As another poster suggested, you can grease the seal when you aren't using the trailer, or as I do leave water in the bowl during the summer and RV antifreeze in it over the winter.

2012 25FB with solar
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
mfrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Lumatic, my '89 Excella would not hold water in the toilet bowl. A couple years ago when this first occurred, I read (maybe on this forum) that cooking oil in the bowl would soften the seal. When in storage that winter, I poured some cooking oil into the bowl. Later, that was gone so I added more oil. In the spring with warmer temps I added more oil. Ever since then - the bowl holds water like it should!!!! I have a friend that used silicone grease on the seal at the end of the season. This, too, will keep the seal soft and waterproof.

Well said. Never use any grease other than silicone on a toilet bowl seal as regular grease and vaseline will damage the seal. As to water splashing, some toilets leave more water in the bowl after flushing than others. We have had several different ones over the years and have found it necessary with some to flush the extra out after turning the pump off. Vegetable oil in the bowl for winter storage is good practice.

Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #17
"Silver Shrek"
1999 25' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
oil might break down the seal over time. Silicone sounds better
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Depends on the toilet. Ours has a 'dry flush' feature specifically for flushing the bowl empty prior to towing. It's made to do that. It's a macerator toilet.

Our old camper had a ball valve, had to leave fluid in it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
We leave approx. an inch of water at the bottom of the bowl, never had a problem. We always turn off the pump when towing, except four days ago forgot to do so after stopping in Ft. Bragg, CA. By the time we got to HWY 101 at Leggett we found the sink faucet had turned on and off due to the incredibly rough and switchback road for 22 miles plus the sink stopper had set itself allowing the sink to fill with water. According to the fresh water tank level the sink dumped about five gallons of water onto the floor. Now where did I put that check list.....
2014 25FB International Serenity, Blue OX Sway Pro,
2016 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 20" wheels, Ingot Silver Metallic, DiamondBack tonneau cover, TrailFX wheel-to-wheel step bars.
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #20
Stay CazuaL
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Originally Posted by mfrez View Post
The toilet seal need liquid on it at all times, otherwise it drys out. The little amount thats left in the bowl never splashes in mine. And it's another step once I stop.

There is already enough work
I think mine dried out because it does not maintain the water fill. How do I fix?
"No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong."
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
"Either I will find a way, or I will make one."
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Never had a problem...BUT...While camped we will often slightly hold the valve pedal down to deepen the standard water level. This increases the "Float Factor" and minimizes the residual effect after elimination (2). If you do this make sure you have the normal "Just cover the seal" level before you disembark. I know...GROSS 😳
merchantmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Toilet Water Splash

We replaced our original toilet in the 1967 22-ft. Safari with a Dometic 311 Low Profile. You have to let all but one inch out of the bowl before traveling or it will end up on the floor. After a normal flush there is approximately 4 inches in the bottom of the bowl.

Greg Anderson
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Mine only carries just enough water to cover the seal to prevent drying and to stop odors.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I think mine dried out because it does not maintain the water fill. How do I fix?
I replaced the entire assembly this year since mine also cracked and was leaking water on the floor after a while. They can be purchased on the internet (I got mine from eBay - "Thetford 31111 Bravura Mechanism Service Package Toilet", but just noticed it is much cheaper elsewhere). I originally purchased a rebuild kit, but one of the seals was the wrong size even though it was supposed to be for the my model. Then I also discovered that the blade cartridge was also cracked. That is what I ended up ordering and replacing. It made it a lot easier and I would do it again this way. I wouldn't bother just replacing the seals.

It is interesting that some "grease" the blade seal I presume? What type of silicon do you use? I just assumed that my seal failed from the RV antifreeze. There is always some in the bottom of the toilet no matter how hard I try.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
We've never done anything special. Nothing has ever splashed out. Once you've unhooked there is no water pressure to speak of, and even if I create some by turning on the pump for a minute to wash my hands or rinse a last dish, it's minimal at best, having been used to run the water out. Maybe we have no splash because the toilet sits directly on the wheels. In any case, this has never been an issue.
Dysfunctional Veteran- does not always play well with others. 22 a day is 22 TOO MANY. (this number recently revised to 23 a day )
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ditto on leaving a bit of water in the bottom of the toilet bowl all the time (and the water pump off while traveling) ... otherwise the seal will dry out and it will not hold water properly. We have never turned the water supply to the toilet off during travel. Having the water pump prevents water entering the toilet.

We never had an issue with water sloshing out during travel with the original toilet ... but when we replaced the original toilet with a china one, there is more water remaining in the bowl after a flush ... that, combined with the smoother surface and angle of the china bowl, there is more possibility of a slosh.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote