Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
To interstate or not..?

Well, folks,
Any thoughts on traveling with their AS on other than 'interstates'? Besides the inherent problem of 'safety' of 'interstates', what is your choice?

Would you rather drive interstate or 'side roads'?

Just wondering what the folk here have to share as 'experiences'?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We like both, depends on.....

where we are headed

how much time we have

if there is an alternate route

There is often a US highway that more or less parallels the interstate. They are generally pretty good and take you through the small towns. A neat trip but a time killer, and not very fuel efficent. But well worth it if you have the time. With the interstate usually near by you can always get back on.

A good , smooth interstate (ha!) can be a pleasant ride, set the cruise, enjoy the scenery. Here in the east, the big road is usually pretty crowded , especially with trucks. Out west, wide open and less traffic.

So, make the most of both.

John

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Yeah...What John said.

There was a highway that I hated.....But when I got my trailer, it turned into a flat dream come true.

There was a highway that I loved.....But when I got my trailer , it turned into a
hilly nightmare.

Traffic lights are the cons of off highway travel. But going slow can be less stressful, you'll have more time to react to road hazards
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Actually I like and do both. I generally think that if an interstate goes there then that is most likely the easy way to go.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Sometimes, the vacation lies in the destination. Other times, the vacation lies in the journey.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
BOTH. Depending on our schedule and the weather. We like getting off the highways and taking the time to enjoy the By-ways.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I'm 200+ miles from any interstate in any direction. They are only good for racking up miles on long trips. Otherwise, I prefer the blue highways.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
In California the big roads are falling apart. Much of I5 feels like it will take the wheels right off your trailer. US101 is cratered. Many of the LA Interstates are like driving over broken concrete blocks. We are just learning which ones to avoid totally.

All Interstates are not created equal! While California Interstates are a nightmare, the ones we rode in Florida were a dream. Texas wasn't bad either.

We need a trillion dollar investment in the Interstate system. Somehow, I don't think it is coming. So, picking out smaller less used roads is becoming a habit with us.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We typically drive at around 60 MPH to maximize gas milage. At that speed, the two-lane roads are just as appealing. A two-lane federal highway is just fine, unless it takes you through too many towns.

Also in driving through the mountains we will sometimes consider the lowest pass, both in terms of gas milage but also road conditions, as we frequently drive in spring and fall when it often snows in the high country. This might be the Interstate but oftentimes it is a federal or even state highway. On the other hand, during a snowstorm, there is something to be said for a divided highway.

One advantage of Interstates for long trips is that you can count on rest areas where you can pull over, walk the dog, eat lunch, take a nap, &c. conveniently.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Responses in tire failure poll related to the question, "My Airstream is towed on":

* Interstate and multilane highways -- 102 (62.96%)

* State and other improved two-lane highways, with shoulders -- 89 (54.94%)

* Mostly paved and well-maintained lesser-used "backroads" -- 42 (25.93%)

* Poorly/minimally maintained backroads and off-road -- 11 (6.79%)

Note: For the above data, 100% was possible for each category; and respondents could select any, or all, of the four categories to indicate which type of roads they drove on.

==========

Reference: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...oll-76867.html (as of 04/15/13)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Any thoughts on traveling with their AS on other than 'interstates'? Besides the inherent problem of 'safety' of 'interstates', what is your choice?

Would you rather drive interstate or 'side roads'?

Just wondering what the folk here have to share as 'experiences'?
There is a reason why Airstream Interstates like mine are called "Interstate" and not "Backroads." Interstate highways are where they're happiest and exhibit their best performance. But, as Charles Kuralt once said, "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."

Given a choice, I plan my route so that I'm on the Interstate to get through major metro areas, and US or State highways the rest of the way.

My Garmin GPS has an "eco-route" feature, that lets you enter your fuel economy at different speeds, and then it will do trip routing based on least fuel consumed. Since it doesn't interface with the OBDII, it doesn't read actual fuel economy, but relies upon what I tell it.

So, I've managed to trick the GPS. I list my fuel economy as 14 mpg at 30 mph, 16 mpg at 40 mph, 18mpg at 50 mph, 17 mpg at 60 mph, 16 mpg at 70 mph, and 15 mpg at 75 mph. With these settings, my GPS generally routes me on Interstate highways in the city, and away from Interstates in the country, unless one route is significantly longer than the other.

When I'm towing my Honda Fit as a toad, I alter the settings at the upper end, so that the fuel economy I enter into the Garmin's Eco-Route program drops off rapidly above 65 mph, which is the towing speed limit listed in the Honda owner's manual. No point traveling on a 75mph Interstate highway if I can't go faster than 65 anyway.

When getting there quickly is important, I just don't use the Eco-Route feature, and get a regular "least time" routing from my GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
One advantage of Interstates for long trips is that you can count on rest areas where you can pull over, walk the dog, eat lunch, take a nap, &c. conveniently.
Here along the Gulf Coast states, rest areas have virtually disappeared from the Interstates. Closed, buildings torn down, parking replaced by grass to match the rest of the right-of-way. About the most I can count on is a visitor's welcome center when I cross a state line.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Fairport , New York
Protagonist...I realize this is a bit "off topic", but since you tow a car, do you use a braking system on the car? If so, which one? If not, how does it handle?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Blue Hwy is first choice, Interstate when necessary. I agree with Mr. Kuralt, and enjoy seeing the sights along the way. If as sometime happens, I am holding up traffic on a Blue Hwy, I will pull over and let the herd past.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billshop View Post
Protagonist...I realize this is a bit "off topic", but since you tow a car, do you use a braking system on the car? If so, which one? If not, how does it handle?
Roadmaster Invisibrake, permanent install. Electrically activated by the brake lights, uses a vacuum pump spliced into the power brake system, so the car has power brakes even when being towed. No difference in stopping distance between towing and not towing, no sudden jerk when it activates. Can hardly tell the toad is there, without looking in the rear-view camera monitor. Plus, when I'm driving the Honda, you can't tell that the supplemental brake system was added, either; it still handles just as it did before the supplemental brake system was added.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote